1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Are On-Board SATA 6Gbps Ports Fast Enough?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Oct 2010.

1. Terru

Terru What's a Dremel?

+1

If a RAID card spends 10 extra seconds at boot, it is going to be a whole lot more frustrating to most potential users, just imagine!

"Hey, come watch how fast my new SSD is!"
    "Why does it take so long to boot to windows?"
    "You have to wait a bit more to see how fast it is...."

2. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

You're right in that the JMB362 is not a SATA 6Gbps controller however it is included with the GA-X58-UD7, at least it is on my rev 1.0 board but it's for the combined 3Gbps eSATA and USB ports. So is the JMicron JMB0363 aka Gigabyte SATA II controller. However, as I'm sure we meant the Marvell 9128 in the graphs and not the JMB362 I'll check this with Clive in the morning!

3. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede What's a Dremel?

Well, while I'm pointing things out, it might be worth noting that the High Point Rocket 620 also uses the Marvell 9128 controller. I'm amazed at the huge performance differences and it's suggesting that either something is amiss in the tests, the BIOS settings were wrong, or different drivers were used between the various tests setups for the same controllers. Considering that all of the Marvell 9128 solutions are connected via a PCI Express x1 interface, they should all end up in the same ballpark in terms of performance.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

5. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

I'd like to see the ASUS U3S6 SATA3/USB3 PCI-E used in this comparison too. Seems another good way of upgrading your mobo to SATA 6GBS amd USB3.

6. glendronach

glendronach Minimodder

Weeds from chaff??
    No weeds are useless, chaff is useless.
    You mean WHEAT from CHAFF.
    Explanation
    When you harvest wheat from the fields it is in the form of grass seeds on stalks. The stalks are beaten to extract the grain followed by a process called winnowing which separates the wheat grains (product) from the chaff (husks, rubbish).
    Hope that helps

7. Magnetar

Magnetar Just Wasting Gigahertz

Has no one noticed that the only drive used to test the SATA III interface is one of if not the fastest SSD availlable (at least on sequential read/write.) Conventional HDDs, and even those rated for 6Gbs, will not even approach the performance seen here. Given that SATA I speed is spec'd at a max of 150GBs, and SATA II would be 300GBs, thus SATA III 600GBs max. The "best" current SSD gives us at best 362GBs, and in many cases less, well into SATA II territory. Before we can deem SATA III worthwhile, we need more tests with other drives, including the supposed 6Gbs HDDs. HDD storage has not yet made SATA II obsolete, and SSDs are just starting to leave it behind.

8. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

So let’s see if I guessed this right... You buy a good decent mother board lets say GIGABYTE, spend $200~$500. Than aftermarket On-Board SATA 6Gbs card is still required it if you want to glide through your SSD with amazing speed? I know that SATA cards are cheap, but that’s not the point. Spend $$$ on mother board $$$ on sound card, $$$ on SATA Card and it will leave u just a sad customer, cus your wasted s*** load of money on something that company should have provided and included in the first place. Especially if your buying one of their expensive top notch boards.

9. Holt

Holt What's a Dremel?

The JMB362 has only SATA 3Gbps and is connected with one PCIe x1 Rev. 1.0 Lanes (Limit: 2.5Gbps), how can it read 307MByte/s on a X58-UD7?
    Beside, die JMB362 on that board powers the eSATA Ports, while the internal SATA 6Gbps connectors are powered by 88SE9128.

10. Wingtale

Wingtale What's a Dremel?

Sometimes I don't see all the fuss.
    You must be really paranoid to care if your game level loads 2 seconds faster

11. Ciber

Ciber Minimodder

Yes, why was the Asus SATA 3 card not reviewed? Or any other SATA 3 add in cards?

++1

Very important point. I don't want a PCIe based controller with my SSD if it makes my PC slow to boot. As it is it takes ~30 sec until windows 7 starts booting, then ~20 sec for windows to load. Add 10 sec for the add in card to boot and I've lost the benefit an SSD gives to boot speed!

12. Simmo

Simmo What's a Dremel?

Great review guys! Just what I was looking for. One question, does anyone know if the Highpoint Rocket 620 is supported by VMware ESXi 4.1 or XenServer 5.6?

13. Magnetar

Magnetar Just Wasting Gigahertz

The word on the street is that the Marvell 9128 controller will NOT pass the TRIM command. Apparently, Marvell with not say whether TRIM is passed by their controller, questions to them are passed off by suggesting you ask the mother board manufacture. They don't know either, or won't say. Given that this controller supports RAID and no other RAID controllers claim to pass TRIM, I'd say the answer is obvious. IMO, no TRIM means no good for SSDs. Would the Bit-Tech blokes have any insight into this?

14. lobster_johnson

lobster_johnson Fear the Claw of Justice!

^ Sorry, quote wasn't working correctly. Had to paste it in.

I am currently using a HighPoint RocketRaid 622 (eSATA instead of internal) with an external RAID enclosure. The boot time is affected as the card has to search for devices. Mine takes about 15 seconds to do that and then moves on.

Tags: Add Tags