1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking Dynamic Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by halcyondays, 29 Oct 2010.

1. halcyondays

halcyondays What's a Dremel?

Hello all,

Looking to reduce computer count in the house (due to inevitable creep) I was looking to merge my Linux server (quad core, 4Gb, 2Tb storage) with my Vista desktop (dual core, 4Gb, not much storage). Ideally I'd role them together, and have sucessfully virtualised the server and run it on the desktop.

But what I wondered if there was a way of getting the desktop to tick over at night (underclocked), just running the server (which is just routing some mail, web services etc) with the chunky graphics gard powered down etc etc and then when I want to do some gaming etc to ramp up the CPU and graphics cards to overclocked status?

I know powersaving helps, but I it doesn't seem to go far enough. Am I really talking about hybrid graphics that dynamically swtich between on-board and discreet? Be nice to be able to do this with investing in new kit.

Thanks all!

2. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

Well with GPU you could just load a different profile using MSI Afterburner when you're active on the PC for gaming etc.
    As for CPU I'm not sure, far as I'm aware you need too reboot to load up the BIOS for the CPU clock etc, although I bet some one else could lend a hand.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

You can set up the bios so that it runs the cpu in power saving mod and throttles it right back when it's idling. mine drops from 4GHz to 1.6GHz and has a power draw of 38 watts as opposed to 140 watts when it's going flat out.

4. halcyondays

@SmilerAl - thanks good idea, but I guess the MSI software is specific to their hardware? I'm on a XFX ( I think....I know it's a sin to be on here and not be able to exactly remember my hardware spec)
    @bulldogjeff - also a good idea, but I wasn't sure how 'sensative' the triggers were, and if running a VM host would pull the CPU out of it's sleepstate, and back onto full power... ideally I'd like to force it to be pinned down - as I don't mind if the server tasks take 50% longer to complete
    Thanks all!

5. bulldogjeff

I've got the XFX 9800 GX2 BE ,works just fine with it. The CPU would just sit Idle until it needs to do something then it drops back again the only way to pin it down as far as I know is to take the mulitiplyer right down and create 2 bios profiles, but that means manually going into the bios to switch over at night. Even if there is a way to set it up you'd still need to reboot, win loose or draw, so it would still need some sort of interaction from you.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2010
  6. SmilerAl

SmilerAl Terminate with extreme prejudice

No no MSI Afterburner works on XFX cards too, I use it with my XFX HD 5870 no problems, it's pretty universal despite being named after a brand.

7. halcyondays

@bulldogjeff - thanks suspected as much. Seems odd in this world that the BIOS overclock profiles can't be altered when in the OS and require a reboot...still....
    @SmilerAL - thanks... that thing about assume and making ass out of u and me may apply to me here...

8. bulldogjeff

You can use over clocking software that works form the desktop but its only for testing and doesn't work as well as getting in the bios and doing it the proper way. You can buy units that fit into a front bay, but having never used one I dont know how good they are, but it still means pushing a button rather than an automated system like what your after.
    You saying about the bios, it's old and was never designed to make it this far, it's at it's end. Next year the EFI (bios) will start appearing on mobo's and not a moment to soon.

9. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Can't seem to find any! You can try a desktop overclocking utility called SetFSB, which now has custom profiles. Then just switch the profiles at night.

10. halcyondays

Don't MAC's use EFI right now? I think we'll miss them, it's nice havnig a non-GUI and the irrational fear of really being able to fry something!

I guess another option might be to put a ATOM based MB inside my main desktop case, for space saving.... I wonder if anyone does a dual motherboard case for a diddy low powered one and bigger, chunkier, more manly one? :)

11. bulldogjeff

The themaltake Mozart TX, takes 1 ATX and 1 ITX/BTX, but i think they stopped making them recently, there might be some old stock still floating about though, Its a bloody big case though.

Last edited: 29 Oct 2010
  12. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Yeah, Macs use EFI...I agree :D

That's actually a good idea, running an older Atom as a server is a popular choice. It really depends on whether or not you want to spend the extra money to buy the extra hardware. I'd say it's a good idea, and frees up your desktop.

13. bulldogjeff

I'm sure the frying won't stop just because we've all got a new EFI bios to play with...lol