1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs Brainstorming media players

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by euroned, 23 Oct 2010.

1. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Am thinking of giving up my sky+ subscription and getting freesat! Unfortuately my wife and i still watch regular series on sky 1 and fx.
    So...if we get freesat and a media player box for the tv, can i get a box that streams from my home network to play onto the tv? Or do i have to dl episodes onto memory sticks/sd cards to play on tv media player?
    Or do i get laptop/notebook conected to home network and connect that to my tv after dl programs we want to watch!
    Also we don't have a HDTV so would have to be able to connect to scart or s-video as we have no HDMI slot!

Sorry i'm clueless about this, just want to save some cash from paying sky to watch 2-3 channels!?

Ideas and thoughts please!?

Ty

Neil

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

This is a relatively cheap and easy solution, but A) It still needs some form of central storage to stream media from, and B) uses HDMI.

Or..this which has Composite, S-Video and SCART outputs... and a 500GB drive for storage.

The latter will obviously not need a HDTV or HDMI.

3. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

There are reviews of the AC Ryan stuff here on Bit as I recall too.

5. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

6. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

I bought a Zyxel one from Scan and was a little disappointed. It doesn't output sound over HDMI and the list of supported files isn't great. For £25 I'll find a use for it, but it hasn't replaced my Ubuntu/Boxee HTPC like I was hoping.

7. Bumfluff101

Bumfluff101 Minimodder

Yeah, I am looking to get the HD mini - will play anything back and maintain the dvd menus

8. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

9. euroned

euroned What's a Dremel?

Thanks for info all. Have tried to go small WD media player with fast 'Patriot Xporter2' usb stick..very easy(even wife can work it!) and completely lossless...
    So ta very muchly to all replies!

Neil