1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 to launch soon?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 29 Oct 2010.

1. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Someone who understands! Now i'm going to go back to my tri-sli GTX 465's... What's that you say? The GTX 465 is awful? But it's Nvidia.... duh.... :lol:

2. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

The GTX 580 v 6900 series is turning into a bit of 'you show me yours and i'll show you mine' - can't wait until the cards are on the table :)

3. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So it's still unfounded speculation then? Nothing in the article gives any fact on performance, heat and cost to run for you to possibly be able to substantiate your post.

Again, let's just wait for the Bit-tech review before the knives come out.

4. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Snips, Why is this so important to you? Nobody here is making hard claims, and if they were, they would be easily disproven and laughed away. There's nothing wrong with speculation. And if you say "misinformation", i'm going to die of laughter, as the companies themselves are much better at that.

Telltale Boy likes this.
  5. Telltale Boy

Telltale Boy Designated CPC Jetwhore

Thanks Xtra.

I realise that none of this speculation is back up by fact, I'm just saying that there's nothing wrong with speculation and your first post seemed a bit agressive to anyone who was speculating.

6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

A GPU Mars Climate Orbiter incident?

7. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

8. frontline

So, samples for reviewers but no actual stock until later? I hope bit-tech's review will include details of general availability at launch.

9. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

So it's still unfounded speculation then?

Yet again, let's wait for the official benchtests from Bit-Tech!

10. frontline

Benchtests that i hope are of a card on general release at the time of the review!

In the meantime lets have some of Charlie D's speculation :)

11. knutjb

knutjb What's a Dremel?

Other than a few grounded in reality most of you are WAGing. Maybe Nvidia did this or that, blah blah blah...

Given their propensity for dragging out releases with a few sample photos to give speculators something to drone on about.

I hope they have figured out the 40nm process and will release a card that won't spin the meter too fast.

The good: a new fast card keeps competition up and prices down.

The bad: I just hope the 580 isn't a 480 rerun like the 8800..., massaged but not so much as to call it new or even significant revision like Bart. Until *production from vendors shelves* are benched marked I have my doubts.

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

given the cancellation of the 32nm all we can hope is a re-spin... which will be fine if its good enough

13. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

In theory this is where Gaming laptops are excellent.

The Alienware M11x for example pulls only 22-27 watts when gaming - (NBR Alienware M11x review). It can quite happily run most games at medium settings, (yes even Crysis) and is reasonably priced.

Yes it isn't the fastest machine on the planet but it is certainly efficient for what it can offer.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I didn't chose the 100Watt-mark randomly. The PS3 Slim is sucking ~100 Watts at load when playing in 1920x1080.

So that's the mark a gaming-PC has to compete with imho.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

but for 400w, your PC can render more than 4 times as much detail as your PS3.

problem is just lack of software (aka games) to take advantage of it.

Teelzebub likes this.
  16. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The question is, do you really need all that amount of details to make it look hyperrealistic....

In ARMA 2 for example, I turn the graphics down on purpose, because the high-detailed environment distracts too much and makes the game less playable.

The graphics achieved in BF2 on a PS3 are totally enough to make the game look good. And the best and most fun games don't even go for hyperrealistic graphics... look at GTA4, Borderlands, etc...

17. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

surely this will be the GTX6xx series if Nvidia keep their current name scheme

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

ah ha! :D BF2, a game came out over 5 years ago. so what graphics card do we need to max out this BF2 game? something like GT420 with 48 unified shaders (7800GTX in 2005 had 24 pixel and 8 vertex shaders) and TDP of 50w. perhaps coupled with i3 and that will be about 100w of power usage while gaming. with more details and higher resolution than PS3 mind you.

same GT420 will be easily able to handle GTA4 at tiny 720p resolution with no view distance, as on PS3 of GTA4. i've played PS3 GTA4 before PC version came out, it was horrible.

you are looking at graphics cards that are pushing resolution, antialsing and drawing distance boundary, if you want just-enough. buy any lowest graphics card of this generation will be more than enough to handle any console game with good power efficiency.

19. frontline

I agree that playing a game on a current gen console compared to playing it on a top of the range PC isn't as big a difference as say when comparing the DX7 mode of a game to DX9 mode. However, when you see games like BFBC2 with all the detail options cranked up to max at a decent resolution, it just makes the console version look shoddy in comparison.

I purchased an xbox 360 recently, however the only games i can stand playing on it are the xbox live arcade type games, where graphics capabilities aren't particularly important (Limbo springs to mind).

We'll see next year what AMD's Fusion APU is capable of churning out in terms of a gameplay experience at (hopefully) low power requirements.

20. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I loved this comment... Maybe we should all poke ourselves in one eye as life is too realistic and takes away from the fun of it?

Tags: Add Tags