1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Death of Stealth

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Nov 2010.

1. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I was surprised at the mention of SWAT here. I might be wrong but i wouldn't class blowing a door open with C and then rushing into the room with a squad of men waving flashlights and screaming at people to get down as stealth.

2. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm surprised at the people who say Batman is stealth for the same reason.

3. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

I miss Tenchu: Stealth Assasins, might not have been a perfect game but it was stealthy, rewarding and hella fun to play.

4. bagman

bagman Minimodder

i agree stealth is dying out but is still stealth in games just that you now get given the option of being stealthy or not, like in crysis you can choose to be stealthy or you can run and gun, like with assassins creed you can be stealthy if you want but most people find it fun just running up to people and slicing there throats and running away again. i think the problem is that you don't get rewarded for being stealthy. but yes in the most part stealth proper stealth games like hitman and splinter cell are gone

5. NethLyn

NethLyn Minimodder

Io threw in the towel when remaking the first Hitman game as part of Contracts and then following up with Blood Money having "Max Payne mode", letting you play it like an arcade game if you liked.

I've finally bought a 360 pad and so if there are any stealth titles best played with a controller like Batman, then I'm happy to give them a try.

6. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I like the new direction they're taken Splinter Cell in, with Conviction. It seems to me we've always needed a Bourne style stealth game and it was always unexplored territory before SC: Conviction was released. Though I would still like to see more traditional stealth games return, involvings such things as hiding behind cover and in shadows and even using camouflage now and again.

Last edited: 1 Nov 2010
  7. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

The Stalker Series allows you to play in a stealth mode. just carry the bare necessities which allows you to be quieter and faster thus giving you the ability to sneak up on enemies. Also try Stalker with the Lurk mod which takes the stealth game play to a whole other level.

8. mashles

mashles What's a Dremel?

Even though MGS4 was over the shoulder, I personally found it the stealthiest of the series so far. Mostly because you had to really keep well hidden and devise routes through areas without being seen etc rather than just charging around dodging the radar cones.

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Funnily enough I've been playing Metal Gear Solid 2 today; for the first time in years. Have been wondering myself what happened to all the genre. I do miss stealth games. :(

10. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I did notice the decline, I just didn't care. They are mostly crappy.

The only one I've ever played that was really good was the Thief series. I hated Splinter Cell and MGS and everything else like that. And other games, just putting a crouch mode is not true stealth, and it's not fun to play. That's why thief was good, because you actually genuinely got to sneak around and use the light and darkness, and more importantly, you could alter the light by shooting water arrows at the torches and stuff. To me, that's the only real stealth game. The others are all just half baked shooting games with a bolt on crouch mode.

As for Hitman, I kinda like those games but I think that they tried to do too much, and didn't really do it very well. There wasn't enough logic to the stealth in that game. You take some waiters clothes and walk past a guard and the suspicion meter starts jumping around. I hated that. Either he suspects you or he doesn't. If he does, then he should shoot me. And if he doesn't, then the game should stfu and let me sneak past in peace.

As for WoW, that was pretty surprisingly good. I played the Druid on a PVP server which was amazing. I didn't like WoW much overall, and quit after just a month, but the stealthing around in lion form, through the jungle, looking for other players to pounce on, was absolutely amazing.

Last edited: 2 Nov 2010
  11. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

12. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

13. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

Thief was great till zombies appeared I lost interest then as it was not what I wanted. As for silencers in r6 these don't seem to make a difference in game against ai and that ruins it, if they didn't react for miles around it would have been much better.

14. DbD

DbD Minimodder

I did!

15. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

It's a sorry state of affairs!

I'm not sure I can add much to this discussion which has not already been mentioned.

There are elements n many of todays 3PS and FPS games which rely on stealth, however they are far too scripted. You have no options, all weapons are silenced and you'll rely heavily on your blade. You cant "go loud" even if you wanted to (think Modern Warefare, level 2).

The funny thing is that if your spotted during a stealth mission by your enemy who use non-suppressed weapons who then open fire, they recieve no support. Pick up their non-suppressed weapons and continue the game, no change. Try this on Modern Warfare's 2nd mission (I think) and you will see what I mean.

Withou real consequences the stealth missions are not compelling enough, it add's only a superficial layer of suspense! There is no risk & reward system, which is where the developers can really win brownie points!

3PS & FPS could redesign the genre simply by enabling different game modes:

Stealth
    Frontal Assault
    Combination

That way you cater to everyone, and significantly expand the lifecycle of a game. The combined stealth, frontal assault modes will enable the game play to evolve organically, and that's what we are all interested in.

I could go on and on, but that would be silly. Come on developers lets shake it up a bit.

16. Largoftw

Largoftw What's a Dremel?

What about the new 007: Blood Diamond, literally just came out and is fairly stealthy.

17. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

Blood Diamond is a film :p You mean Blood Stone?
    And it's out already! I don't see it on Steam... I was thinking of getting it as well.

EDIT: It is on Steam now. Just got it :D But I'll be a bit pissed off if it doesn't even have any stealth levels.

18. Manu_Otaku

Manu_Otaku ManuOtaku

+1

19. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

check out velvet assassin.. I dunno something about that game was really fun- it wasn't perfect by any means but if you like stealth it had all the shadows and it's kind of recent.. I dunno why I liked it so much, some old pics I took in game

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

Team Fortress spy was good too.

Tags: Add Tags