1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Epic PC Kyubu: Help me donate to the Tsunami! | 21.3.2011

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Djayness, 21 Sep 2010.

1. jprykov

jprykov What's a Dremel?

wow! a cnc machine + a new camera = congrats! :)

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

^^ Agreed & nice goal :clap::).
    And whoops about assuming you mod for a living :D, I checked your epicpc website & assumed you did this for a living :duh:.
    Anyway, looking forward to updates on this Kyubu, awesome original design :thumb:.

3. o1wish

o1wish What's a Dremel?

Hugely original design, I dont think I have seen someone put so much design time into one project before! Subed and watch!

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Those are sweet cameras mate, I have been hoping that we would get some in at work but I am still waiting :(.

5. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Finished the plastering and painting, this is the best sign yet that this project is about to start.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I need some PVC tubing for those pumps, ill need to seal them before use as well. Any ideas on how? Not sure if silicon would hold with that sort of pressure.

[​IMG]
    So now you can see what I am on about. The MDF goes on top of the table and the grid evenly distributes the suction. 12 by 22 grid with 4 suction points and 2 pumps.

[​IMG]

I will be resurfacing tomorrow as well as visiting a plumbing centre for the PVC pipes needed. The suction is incredible and normal tubing would simply collapse upon itself. By the end of tomorrow, this thing should be starting on Kyubu!

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  6. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Great news, bet you can't wait :rock::D.

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

I hate the person above the person above because he's got all that new CNC gear and I don't care if it's in the wrong thread.:D

KidMod-Southpaw likes this.
  8. Mattmc91

Mattmc91 Minimodder

Looks great!

I want to see the tiling :p

9. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]

Which tiling would you like to see?

The CNC in operation :)

10. JimmyTheHand

JimmyTheHand What does this button do?

Thanks for the vid Djayness-
    cant wait to see you get stuck into this mod!

11. Attila

Attila still thinking....

You guys remind me of a scene from a woody allen movie. Just can't remember
    which one. :hehe:

That machine looks great, can you give some details about the company, model and
    how to get in touch with them here in oz?

12. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Maybe I didn't read throughly enough, but does the new CNC spray cooling fluids onto the material it's cutting?

13. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

No, it's not made to cut metal, at least not real thick metal. Dibond it usually okay with these things. Materials for this type of cnc would be wood, foam, plastic, you could probably get away with engraving aluminum, but not cutting.

14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Actually it can cut metal and thick metal at that, you can do as many passes as you wish :) (above: my CNC cutting metal) The only reason I won't be cutting metal with my new machine is that I cant use cutting fluid with the vac table.

Anyhow lets start.
    [​IMG]
    I won't be using the full 1m of the table because I buy my sheets in 800*600. For those who havent bought in bulk, the industry standard is 1.2*2.4m and you get 6 of the 800*600 sheets when cut up.

The silicon keeps the table sealed so even when using 800*600 sheets, there arent any leaks.

[​IMG]
    I also removed the T-slots and sealed them. Once the silicon dries ill screw the threads back in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The vac system is working I am happy to report. Even through 6mm thick MDF, I simply could not move the material on top no matter how hard I tried. The suction will be even greater when I surface the MDF to 3mm thick.

I start tomorrow :)

15. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Not that it's important, since I assume you're wearing some sort of protection for your ears, but how loud are those vacuum pumps?

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I dont know how to describe it. Its loud....but its not high pitched ear hurting loud (like a table saw), its just...loud. I do wear foam inserts and eye protection and I also use heavy duty gloves when removing tools from the collet.

Can't be too safe right? :)

17. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Now when does the computer building begin! I've bought a new bundle of paper towels for the drool thats to come now that you have the new CNC ready! It is ready, right?

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Well....

[​IMG]
    I guess....

[​IMG]
    It begins....

[​IMG]
    Around about now :)

[​IMG]
    Take note, only about 2cms of that white panel is actually on the vac part :) Fan power!

[​IMG]
    The vac system is incredible and I played around with the MDF thickness. The suction was better at 3mm rather than the original 6mm and I will most likely mill the MDF down to 2mm or 1.5mm to get an even better vaccuum.

I'm still in the process of having the factory built and quite a few essentials aren't working at current like the air con or hot water. I live in Australia and you need both haha.

19. Gtek

Gtek Doesn't raise the bar; he IS the bar.

Yay :clap: great to see first parts, looking forward to more....

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

So with all the really well designed parts being ready for action will this be a pretty quick project minus the waiting for a couple of other things after all the design work? I look forward to seeing this all working, water flowing around the mobo will look very cool :thumb:.

Just realised what looks slightly familiar about this, the sun beam bit reminds me of my air cube prototype side panel kind of except mine is in the middle lol :D, here looky.
    [​IMG]