1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Noritake GU126x32F-K612A4 graphic VFD

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Cheese, 19 Jul 2002.

1. hentaihero

hentaihero What's a Dremel?

@Cheese

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

u roxxxxxxxx:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: man

thx 4 ur help it works , it realy works wooooooooooooohooooooo

thx man

2. Nightwulf

Nightwulf What's a Dremel?

GPO help

Can someone please tell me how to use the GPO on the VFD please. I have try hookup the two wire to ping 3 VDD and one of the p0, i pick pin 16 but nothing is happen what did i do wrong? and what is the other pin for like ping 1-8?

thank ya all for the help

3. Cheese

Cheese Doc

You set the display up in software to turn the I/O pin you connected to into an output and then switched it on?

There's a good example of how to do it in the datasheet...

Rob.

4. Nightwulf

Nightwulf What's a Dremel?

Thank rob

i will try to see it working or not, i just use the LCDC and event to with MBM5 plugin and turn on the GPO is Gt or Eq, but i have not put in any command.

5. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

I thought it was totally impossible to use the I/Os w/ lcdc .... I'm confused now ...
    So it's possible using the VFDs commands then ?

6. Cheese

Cheese Doc

You can trigger them on and off in screens fine... but you can only use one as an 'any time trigger' say for notification on email.

LCDC doesn't understand the binary way in which the VFD turns its GPO's on and off, you can cheat and used a fixed binary value as the on/off code and thus use one GPO as a normal GPO in LCDC. To control the others you can plop the control codes in command lines in the screen builder (to make a GPO come on when a screen comes on for example), but you can't do much else with them...

Rob.

7. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

yeah thought there was a problem with them

8. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

Is there a comprehensive list of the commands for this vfd? Obviously there is the manual, but the command codes in that seem to differ from the ones you use in LCDC?

I.e. I'm trying to design my own screens using variables from the MM5 plugin. I can get the variables from dissecting the other definition files, but then to make stuff display where i want it to seems to be a lot trickier!

Tau

9. Cheese

Cheese Doc

See the bottom of the readme file in the zip with my example files in it...

[##x] - sends character with the decimal vale xxx to the display. For example [##65] would send an 'A' to the display as 'A' is the 65th character in the ASCII character set.

[##16][##x][##y] - Sets the cursor (x,y) position in the display. Using the normal 5x7 font {see [##29] for changing to this font} (0,7) is the first character on the top line. So to make LCDC print 21x4 characters on a screen in the normal font line one must be started with [##16][##0][##7], two [##16][##0][##15], three [##16][##0][##23] and four [##16][##0][##31] to start the cursor in the correct place for the four lines. You can see this done in the 'simple example' file (www.bit-tech.net - reviews - modding - noritake graphic vfd - page 2).

[##17][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - draws a white rectangle from coordinates (left, top) to (right, bottom) {where the top left of the screen is (0,0) and bottom right (125,31)}.

[##18][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that the rectangle is black.

[##19][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that it inverts the area in the rectangle.

[##20][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that it just draw the outline of the rectangle.

[##21][##left][##top][##right][##bottom][##200] - as [##17] except that it draws a black outline of the rectangle.

[##22] - makes pixel at current cursor white.

[##23] - makes pixel at current cursor black.

[##24],[#delay10],[##length],[#delay1],[##data1],[#delay1],[##data2],... (as seen in the event section of screen builder) - here the commas are in place to separate commandsinthe event builder, the character is not sent to the display. This writes 'length' graphic byte to the display. [#delayxx] delays sendingany more information to the display for xx milli seconds. [##26][##0] before drawing makes the display draw the graphic bytes horizontally, [##26][##128] before drawing makes the display draw the graphic bytes vertically. See the display's manual for examples.

[##25] - resets the display.

[##26][##0] or [##26][##1] or [##26][##2] or [##26][##3] - when writing text this sets how the text is introduced to the screen. [##0] overwrites anything previously in the write area, [##1] AND's the new text with the old (only pixels which were previously white and are white in the new line of text stay white), [##2] OR's the new text with the old (displays all old white pixels and all new) and [##3] XOR's the new text with the old (as OR but where the AND write mode would leave a white pixel XOR leaves a black). A good example of using these write modes together is writing text with an outline. Draw the text you want outlined 9 times with OR mode on; at (x-1,y-1), (x-1,y), (x-1,y+1), (x,y-1), (x,y), (x,y+1), (x+1,y-1), (x+1,y), (x+1,y+1) then set the write mode to XOR and write the text at (x,y).

[##27][##248] to [##27][##255] - sets the brightness of the display from OFF {248} to max {255}.

[##200] - Neither command nor character 200 exist in the command set of this display. Sending character 200 makes the display wait 50us and print nothing on the screen. This is used after drawing rectangles (to give the display time to finish drawing before the next command) and at the end of lines in the screen builder to stop LCDC's sending spaces to the display.

Where I talk about pixels 'being turned white' read 'being turned on' really, and 'black' off.

Rob.

10. Tau

Tau Sharingan!

Hehe, now thats service! I got a reply in just a few minutes!

Cheers Rob :D

Tau

11. Avatar28

Hey, I was wondering. Is it possible to get a darker blue out of this VFD than what's in the pictures in the review? I'm trying to keep everything a darker shade of blue for my system to keep a consistent theme.

12. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

yes u can get a very nice looking blue and get rid of the cyan color by adding a red filter to the blue one shipped with the display

Not sure they actually do the kit (display+cables+filter) anymore though

So thing to remember is blue+red filter makes a nice true blue color

13. TAG

TAG What's a Dremel?

Actually i got i wrong, thought there was something about adding a red filter to the blue one though but couldnt find it :(
    So here's what mashie managed to get w/ a darker blue filter:

14. Funks

Funks VFD man

Colour Filter Materials

Hello Avatar28,
    Yes you can change the colour of the VFD very easily to almost any colour you want, red through to violet. :clap: The filter we supply comes from the company Lee Filters. www.leefilters.com
    We use one of the blues shown on this page http://www.leefilters.com/LP1.asp?PageID=22 and the Deep Blue 120 will give you a very nice dark blue on an almost black background.
    Lee Filters are available in the US, see their home page http://www.leefiltersusa.com
    They also have dealers in Tennessee see here http://www.leefiltersusa.com/LightDealers/LightDealersTN.html , so you may be able to contact them and acquire just what you need.

The slight downside to all this is that you want something just a few inches square, and when we buy this material it on a roll, 24ins wide and several feet long!!
    Perhaps you can balagg a sample or 2, or get together with a few others and purchase a small quantity, and divide it up.

In the UK there is a company MAPLINS that have similar filter material (I expect it comes from Lee Filters!)
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=030131085555364&moduleno=30534&modulecode=
    Look for Maplin code QZ71N Lamp Gel Dark Blue price UKP 4.99
    Find it under Disco lighting

:idea: Other possibilities are to use Acrylic or Polycarbonate sheet of a suitable colour and material thickness. Working with these sheets involves a little more cutting and shaping, but can give a very nice finish and appearance.

Hope that this helps you and others,

Phil Dakin
    Itron (UK) Ltd

EDIT: The links should work OK, now. :rolleyes:

Last edited: 1 Feb 2003
  15. Funks

Funks VFD man

Kits Still Available

Hello TAG,
    We certainly do still sell these kits, we've shipping up to 10 a week all these months later, so there's lots modders with these in their cases! :hip: :geek:

If anyone else is needing a kit, go to page 1 of this discussion and also read the review and you'll find the "How to Order"; or just mail me!! :D

Phil Dakin
    Itron (UK) Ltd

16. Avatar28

Thanks, Phil. Three of those guys are in my area, so with any luck maybe I can get it from one of them. I'll also check into my plastics dealer and see if they have any thin sheets of dark acrylic. Now, just gotta get the $$$ to order one of these bad boys. Probably the next thing on my list, actually, now that I've got the case.

17. Arlof

Arlof What's a Dremel?

LCDC V1.3 Support For .DEF file.

I'm not sure if anyone else has upgraded their version of LCDC, but if you do you'll get a message that pops up telling you your definition file is out of date!

Is there any fix or perhaps a new .def file out there?

Regards,

David

18. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Re: LCDC V1.3 Support For .DEF file.

Sorry, I don't have one of these displays anymore so I didn't notice...

In a couple of minutes the first post should have been updated with working files (NiceExample5), if they don't work then I'd use an older version of LCDC :)

Rob.

19. evilgreenie

evilgreenie Standby for Main Engine Burn

Re: LCDC V1.3 Support For .DEF file.

This could be either due to a mistype in an installation directory, or just the version number in the definition file that needs editting. I don't think the definition file needs major surgery..

Check out the thread in the LCDC forums

20. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Re: Re: LCDC V1.3 Support For .DEF file.

Umm see above, think I've already solved the problem :)

Rob.

Tags: Add Tags