1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding How to connect a rocker switch to LED strip

Discussion in 'Modding' started by d3m0n_edge, 4 Nov 2010.

1. d3m0n_edge

d3m0n_edge Lost Is Your Soul

Hi everyone.

I have a query in which I can find help here. I have purchased a flexible LED strip which is powered and connected via a molex (Red and Black wire). However, I wanted to connect a rocker switch to it where I have the option to turn it on and off at my own leisure and I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

Flexible LED strip
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=60_152_161&products_id=834

Rocker switch
    http://www.chilledpc.co.uk/shop/product_info.php?cPath=60_180&products_id=1701

Any help would be valuable to me and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

1. Cut one wire from molex plug to strip in half and strip. (Either black or red will do)
    2. Prep for soldering(add flux) and side on some heatshrink.
    3. Solder long new wires to the ends of the cut wire(so the switch can reach the front of your case or wherever it needs to be).
    4. Add flux and more heatshrink to new wire ends and to rocker switch solder legs.
    5. Solder wires to rocker switch.
    6. Put heatshrink over solder points and apply heat.

3. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

You'd need to do a little extra to get the switch to light up though.

The switch has 3 tabs, a +ve post, a Ground post and an Accessory post.

Here's a quick sketch showing how you could wire it up. The ground wire is joined to 2 wires between the molex and strip, although you could run a spur down from the switch if you desire.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 5 Nov 2010
  4. d3m0n_edge

Hi guys.

Thanks for the response. And thank you Tealc for an illustration. This will definitely help me. I was away after I posted my thread and will have a go later tonight.

Last edited: 6 Nov 2010
  5. d3m0n_edge

I managed to get it working in one go by following the diagram attached. Thanks very much Tealc!!

6. ErwinS

ErwinS What's a Dremel?

LED still not turning on

Hi guys. Having a bit of a problem. I have done everything as Tealc has illustrated but the led will not switch on. I have all the the parts d3m0n_edge has except my switch does not have an accessory tab. So my wires are as follows:

molex red wire > wire > tab 1 on rocker switch > tab 2 wire>red wire on LED strip
    molex black wire > wire > black wire on LED strip

Please Help! :wallbash:

NEVERMIND GUYS. Made a stupid error. Got it working. Thanks again Tealc for the diagram :thumb:

Last edited: 15 May 2012
  7. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

You are welcome. :)