1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Need a PSU capable of running GTX 460

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheZaak, 8 Nov 2010.

1. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

I am thinking of buying the ASUS gtx 460 for £122 but am sure my PSU wont be able to take it, so I am looking to invest in a new and much more powerful not in wattage but just generally be able to handle the GPU.

My spec is;
    - AMD Athlon II X3 440 3GHz Socket AM3
    - ASUS M4A78L-M LE AM2+
    - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB SATAII 7200RPM 16MB Cache
    - Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz Memory Kit CL7 1.8V Unbuffered Non-ECC
    - Sumvision 500W 20+4pin SATA 80mm

Link to the GPU;
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/768m...shader-clock-1400mhz-336-cores-2xdl-dvi-mhdmi

Thanks guys for any replies.

Forgot my pricing which would be around £30-50.

Last edited: 8 Nov 2010
  2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

3. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Yeah sorry it's quite limited, do you reckon a lower priced one could handle the GPU, as the only income i'm on is £30 a week i'll be saving for quite a bit :/

I guess i could go to around £70 but i am going to earn some extra money soon by selling some items. so i'll see how much i gain from that.

4. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

There are some cheeper non modular psu but I have no idea what they would be like as never heared of the manufactur.

5. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Is modular a type of PSU or make? sorry i'm not very knowledgeable in the area of power supplies as stated haha.

6. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

it's a type of PSU, means some of the cables are detachable, makes for a tidier PC, really would be worth saving to the £70 mark man, you REALLY don't want to go cheap on the PSU.

7. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Yeah i went cheap for my starting build which was a mistake as i'm paying for it now having to buy a new one to cope with the newer hardware baring in mind this one was only £10 haha i was immature to go for Wattage so i saw a 500w tag on it and thought it was amazing. Thanks though i'll save up and soon i'll have a pretty sick rig :D

8. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Yeah, if it really were £10, I would be VERY nervous about using it!

9. TheZaak

TheZaak nerds are cool

Why be nervous it's brand new? is it that bad to be an unrecognised brand?

10. marone

marone What's a Dremel?

Have a look at the 'OCZ StealthXstream II 600W', should be able to pick one up for about £50.

11. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

If it cost £10, it's not something I'd trust, there's a few (read; a lot) horror stories about budget PSU's going pop and taking a lot of hardware with them. I heavily doubt that PSU will be able to supply the 500w it claims.

You have a link to where you bought it from?

12. marone

marone What's a Dremel?

The question would be the stability of the power rails. The cheaper it is the more un-stable it would be, thus creating a potential issue (such as power failure, or even damage).

13. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Buy cheap buy twice, three or four times in a year its false economics to buy a cheap PSU a good quality one will last years......simply cheap ones - they will burn out - unknown brands they dont have the same quality parts...and in worst cases will fry other parts of your PC by over volting when they blow.

There are many war stories where people have not had only to replace PSUs when they blow but motherboards or graphic cards as well.

14. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

At the lower end of the spectrum, I'd be very careful of many power supplies. The Corsair CX series are really the only ones I'd go for myself.

15. bagman

bagman Minimodder

16. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

He doesnt need a 650W PSU for that system. 450W will do fine.

17. marone

marone What's a Dremel?

Perhaps, but that wouldn't give him much room to manoeuvre should he wish to upgrade further.

18. markbrett64

markbrett64 thanks to denial I am now immortal

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

I can't recommend the Corsair Builder Series as there haven't been any reviews - due to Corsair not wanting them to be reviewed. The are NOT 80+ certified, only "up to" 80% efficient (marketing instead of science).

See this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=195866.

For your budget I would suggest one of the following:

430W Seasonic S12II-430 Bronze - £55.91
    500W Antec EA-500D EarthWatts Green - £56.71
    500W Silverstone ST50EF-Plus - £56.96

Prices are from Scan, you might be able to get cheaper by shopping around.

20. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Yeah the Builder series has got some bad rep for "not being up to Corsair standards" and not offering 80+ efficiency, but really, for that price it's probably the best you can expect. At the very least they are still a hugely reputable company and it's pretty safe to bet they don't sell dangerously rubbish PSUs at any price range.

The problem with nonames is that they come and go. You buy a 500 W unit for a tenner, it blows up and the chances are the whole company doesn't exist anymore when you start looking for warranty. They also can't output what it says on the tin, and are just generally total shite.

Here's a great example: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=204

You buy a 580 W unit, but get a totally rubbish 240 W unit instead. And Sunbeam is a name I remember hearing before, think of what sort of exploding performance the actual nonames offer...

EDIT: Also, 400 W would be plenty, but seriously, go for a quality unit.