1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Modding MacBook Air Could Cause Fire

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 9 Nov 2010.

1. xela333

xela333 What's a Dremel?

This thread has made my day : )

2. xela333

xela333 What's a Dremel?

And I'm an apple hater. Not the company or the products, just a few of their fans who think Apple products are a gift from god.

3. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

If I open up my PSU and touch a capacitor it's not OCZ that's irresponsible.

4. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

To be clear, because I haven't followed all 3 pages so far, mainly just the main news item and a few jokers - but, do the batteries EXPLODE upon opening the laptop, or do they EXPLODE when damaged? There is a massive difference. The former would be a nightmare scenario because I'm fairly sure all of us have opened an electrical item at some point. The latter would be negligence on the modders part?

5. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Could call every automobile manufacturer irresponsile. Vehicles get filled up with flammable material, then run a device which creates thousands of explosions during normal operation.

The batteries can catch fire with impact/puncture/etc when not protected. By opening the laptop they are exposed to such threats, but are harmless just sitting there undisturbed.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yeah, fancy not making your products idiot-proof. :rolleyes: Let's sue all car manufacturers now for all those road traffic accidents. Let's also sue alcoholic beverage producers for all the drink-drivers out there.

Give me a break. You open something that is not meant to be opened at your own risk. Modding is not for pussies.

I hear that if you play an OSX installation disk backwards you hear satanic messages incanted by Jobs himself (Bill Gates and Linus Torvalds are in the chorus).

I think the former would be the modder's responsibility too. It is pretty hard to open any laptop, let alone a Macbook Air. It is clearly not meant to be opened.

I mean, aerosol cannisters explode when opened. Fire extinguishers explode when opened. I can think of a crapload of things that explode when opened. Just don't open them. I think I see a way out of this problem... :rolleyes:

7. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

You made my morning.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

This.

Did I just agree with Nexxo? :eyebrow: I must be getting old...

9. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Batteries = fragile, volatile chemical soups that are known hazards to your health in almost all of their many forms. Whether it's lead acid leaking from your car, aged AAs eating your TV remote, or Vaios amputating your legs, batteries are well known as something to avoid puncturing.

Modding = Unlicensed, unapproved and unwitting steps into the unknown, taken at your own risk. Especially with fragile, compact items like notebooks, your safety is the sole result of the care you take. If you decide to stab the inside of most things with a screwdriver, you won't like the results, and Li-poly batteries are no exception.

In other news;

Pope = Catholic

Bears = Still defecating in forested areas

perplekks45 likes this.
  10. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Haven't seen anyone point this out yet, so I thought I would

The screws used in the bottom of the new Macbook Air are deliberately designed to be anti-tamper, which you can easily see here:

[​IMG]

The guys at iFixit had to file down some screwdrivers in order to use them - you will not be able to get inside this box without some serious effort - it's clearly not designed to be user-serviceable - and whilst you can, you clearly do it at your own risk - it's not like replacing the batteries in most mobiles.

It's like the detector in a smoke alarm - it's tamper-proof - possible to open if you put in enough effort but if you do, there's some dangerous americium inside.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

rep++

Tags: Add Tags