1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs What does TDP mean, Nvidia?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Claave, 11 Nov 2010.

1. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

2. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

A what now?

3. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

When i buy a car, i couldn't care less about how much gas it uses at top speed, i wanna know how much it'll cost me at the speed i'm going to drive it.

4. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

Real world apps only. Your not fooling anyone with that TDP crap. And xtrafresh if u want to buy a ferrari and cruise at 25mph go abead.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

When I buy a car based on that method, then I don't need no car that can run faster then 130 km/h :hehe:

And then... the fuel-consumption for cars is measured at a triple-mix with the speedlimits on 95% of the roads in the world 50/80/130kmh taken into account. Additionally the test involves no driving-styles and is done at standardized revs... It's not even measured on the road, but in a lab, to make the results 100% comparable.
    So you actually won't know, how much fuel you'll need in average, until you've driven your first 10000km.

This is why the maximum powerdraw of the whole card and not only the chip would be the only fair comparison between GPUs, as this would be the only situation where they're 100% comparable at. Other PC-components and drivers do influence the benchmark-results and draw an inexact picture.
    If I use the same GPU as you, but with a slower CPU and an older gfx-driver, then my GPU might actually draw less or more power then yours in the same gaming-benchmark.
    And as there's no testbeds for GPUs, where the conditions never change over time, the only hard and uninfluenced number is the absolute maximum powerdraw of the card.

6. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Which would mean partners that do not make reference designs(be it PCB or coolers) would have to measure the power draw separately and list it differently to the reference manufacturer card.

7. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

So?

8. new_world_order

new_world_order 4.0 GHz Dremel

I've been to a few exhibitions where I saw 1200 Watt power supplies in deep freezing rigs, but even under few load (all cores and all threads doing some sort of intense benchmarking or calculations) the meter was showing that only 1050W was being drawn.

I think power consumption is a good metric to use for you worst-case-scenario power supply estimations. Remember, the closer you get to the max output of your PSU, the higher the probability that the signal-to-noise ratio will degrade somewhat. This has a tendency to cause instabilities and crashes.

The heat load should be used for estimations of the type of cooling solution you would need.

The power consumption should be used to determine the spec for the PSU.

9. greigaitken

greigaitken Minimodder

but as i and others have said,
    heat load = power consumption so both numbers are the same

10. Xtrafresh

Not to be a bore here, but do we really need cars faster then 130km/h? For the most part, our carss top speed is marketing fluff, as we'l never use it that way. It's interesting to know, but we really don't care much how much fuel it uses under those condtions.

Back to the cards. Now back to me. Now back to the cards....

I'm on a forum.

sorry, couldn't resist.

Ok, so, back to the cards. I don't care to know how much it will use in furmark, because i hardly ever run it.
    Consumption while gaming is much more interesting. Just like the normalised cartest, we'd need some repeatable test, but that test should include scenarios that simulate gaming,

11. Enzo Matrix

Enzo Matrix What's a Dremel?

On top of it being a phenom IIx6, it is also NOT 140W TDP. I remember this quite clearly because I was surprised at launch. The TDP of it is 125W. Plus there are even 95W versions.:duh:

I signed up to comment on this to try to get it corrected. Too many mistakes on this site, if you guys aren't careful, you're going to become like Tom's Hardware.

And about your i7 950 review: It's the i7 950, NOT the i5 950. First page, in the section with the prices.:wallbash:

12. new_world_order

If you were correct, I would agree with you. Not all power supplied get transformed into heat. That would imply your computer needs no energy of any kind in order to run, and that you have a process more efficient at heat creation than a nuclear power plant.

13. new_world_order

Case in point: One of my computers has a 750W power supply. I also have a 750W space heater.

I turn both of them on. I have internal temp sensors inside the computer. I turned off the cooling solution by removing power leads to it. I have an external thermometer placed on the space heater.

The space heater reaches 50C fairly quickly, in just under 1 minute.

I can feel the heat radiating off of the space heater.

My computer, case off, takes 6 minutes to reach 50C. By this time, my space heater is at 75C, which is its max temp for safety reasons. The room is much warmer near the space heater, within a 3 foot radius.

I can be 12 inches from my computer, and not feel any real noticeable heat on the back of my hand.

If you are saying I can use my 750W power supply to warm my house for the winter, I would have to disagree.

14. Xtrafresh

What a great way to demonstrate you don't understand it! :clap:

The 750W power supply is capable of powering a machine that uses 750W, but that does not mean that any machine you hook up to it automatically uses that amount. Looking at your sig, your PC will probably use around 200W in idle, on account of that overclocked 860.

And yes, power drawn IS heat produced with a PC, aside from the bit that goes to moving parts (HDDs, Fans).

As for the power consumption of all the chips involved: mclean007 said i better then i could:

15. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

Turbo Diesel Powered ? ^^

16. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

As Xtrafreshed mentioned, absolutely wrong.

More simply put, RATED CAPACITY IS NOT POWER USED.

17. new_world_order

I understand it perfectly well.

If what all of you are saying is true, your computers are nothing more than heaters, and they would do no computation at all, and they would not illuminate a single light or LED of any kind.

Energy is: work performed, heat given off, or light emitted.

Does the computer give off heat? Certainly.

Any lights on your boxes? Of course. Where is this energy coming from? It needs power from some source.

Does the computer "do anything"? Yes, therefore that requires power also.

Or do your electrons migrate through the 32 nm instantaneously as well, meaning any computer would be the functional equivalent of "infinite frequency?"

18. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Perhaps not nothing more than a heater, but it does perform that task quite well

19. D B

D B What's a Dremel?

As has been pointed out, the rating on your power supply has nothing to do with how much power your PC is using ... a 750watt power supply does not mean that your PC is using 750 watts .
    Think abour this ..
    That 750 watt heater been designed to convert that energy into heat in the most efficient way, example .. does it have a reflector?
    And, Is your PC designed to efficiently heat your room using the same total power draw?

20. Xtrafresh

perhaps he will read it ifi put it in bold letters:
    Just to be claer, i don't 100% understand the pysics of that, but that there is the heat that comes off a chip. In your theory where you put a 750W PSU in a PC and expect it to draw 750W, i'd like you to explain this:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/11/09/nvidia-geforce-gtx-580-review/8

Notice it says power drawn at socket.

Tags: Add Tags