1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copyrights for modding?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mach, 10 Nov 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Yes, and by not doing so he broke the 'modders' code of conduct', so to speak. It can be addressed in that context --no talk about laywers and copyright necessary.

And that is indeed what chris@cmd is now trying to do: to come to a reasonable resolution as modders, not competing businesses.

That comment was directed to members in general, not to you (sorry).

Basically I want to remove any future misunderstandings that Bit-Tech forums are a hobby forum. We have businesses posting here, but within their own forums. We do not want the modding community here to turn into a legal copyright minefield. Generally speaking if you really, absolutely don't want people to copy your stuff, do not post it here. If you intend to make a living out of the design, again, be careful what you show and when. As always, post at your own risk.

2. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Nice one Chris! I hope you guys can work this out amicably.

So the modder's code of conduct regarding ideas and copyright is:

1) Don't copy another modder's ideas or mod unless you get permission.
    2) Say thank you and give credit if you copy a mod
    3) Mark your stuff if you want to tell another modder if and how they can copy it. (Langer suggested Creative commons at one point/Kayin CopyLeft)
    4) The internet is full of monsters. Don't post it if you intend to profit from it or don't want others to profit from it
    5) If you think you have been slighted, talk to the other modder. You likely have more in common than you realize.

Finally, when in doubt, refer to the Bindi Precept "Don't be dick." (Bindi©2010)

That about cover it?

To clarify, even if we all agreed to the code of conduct above, it does not mean that Bit-Tech (or any modding forum) is a copyright free zone. A reasonable person should assume that everything on the internet has a copyright unless otherwise indicated. To think otherwise is akin to not locking your doors.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2010
  3. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

I'm glad to see how this has worked out. I do prefer CC licensing to copyleft, but a lot of what I'm working on is more mass market type items ATM so it's really inappropriate to use it there. For case work such as this, I would use a CC license, with derivative works to have the permission of the creator/designer first. Honestly, I'd like to have a case like that, because I'm losing the use of my hands. But, I don't have the ability to replicate it, especially in the material of my choice (solid plexi and aluminum) so I'll stick with waiting on you to get something hacked together for sale.

thechoozen, it speaks volumes about you that you chose to apologize publicly as well as privately. Misunderstandings happen. It's how we handle them that defines us.

Chris, I await your finished products.

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

My turn. I am older than the web. If you put stuff on the web with no disclaimers, it's your fault if it magically appears somewhere.

Yo, Nexxo. Can I build a pico-ITX Babbage? For me only?

See. All you have to do is ask.

john

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Listen to that guy. ^^

FYI, he's from the bronze age, so he doesn't get irony. By magically, he really means magically.

6. chris@cmd

chris@cmd What's a Dremel?

I will let you know, aiming to keep the price right right down :) as my ethos is to bring design and funcionality at the price of mediocre things that don't enhance your life. just out of interest what format board?

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Pretty much. Good summary. Would it infringe on your copyrights if we copied it into our forum rules? :D

Yup.

Exactly.

You're welcome to do so. In fact, someone e-mailed me a few months ago:

My reply:
    (OK, my personal CC is a bit wider than the standard CC licence.) His reply:
    I encouraged him to do so, because we need more modders. :)

:hehe:

8. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Glad that this is getting sorted amicably! While I do advocate using the courts, it should only be used as a last resort. It's much better, as Xtrafresh said, to sort things out as human beings.

Can't wait for this to be behind us. I was already looking forward to Thechoozen's next mod, and now we've got a new case builder/company who's got some great ideas for enthusiast cases!

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Always good to hear issues getting sorted out amicably, :thumb:.

10. chris@cmd

chris@cmd What's a Dremel?

And all it took was a sorry :) and a brave admission of error.

in the end all we have is our word in life... everything else is just a current luxury civilisation as we know it affords us..

If we make mistakes as individuals then we must accept the responsibility and deal accordingly..

and if everyone can walk away and shake hands... its all the better for it :)

11. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Might be worth a read for those interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11695416

@edit: It also mentions the Digital Economy Act. Another piece of good news: this has been referred to the High Courts to assess whether it is legal and if disconnecting people is a violation of human rights.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2010
  12. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Honestly, I'd say there is enough blame to go around here. Chris@cmd should either have not released the design to the internet in the first place, or marked it clearly that it was a copyrighted work. I know if I had a design (especially one so unique) that I had plans on commercializing, I wouldn't show it to anyone. Not friends, colleagues, even my wife (not that I'm paranoid or anything.)

All that said, I find it very disappointing on the part of TheChoozen. He is somebody whose mods I've watched with great interest for a while now on bit-tech, and his public silence shouts loudly. He very well could have ended it early with an apology and coming to an agreement with Chris@cmd, and instead Chris is weighing legal action.

Please, gents, work it out. TheChoozen, in pushing this design, give credit where it's due. Go overboard in pushing that it wasn't your original design. Chris@cmd, let him push it and let him widen your exposure. Let the story work out in its ugly beginnings and happy resolution. For the love of God, don't let the modding community head down the RIAA highway of hair-trigger lawsuits where everybody is terrified to share their design ideas.

And let us all learn a lesson for the future - give credit where it's due, and don't post up ideas you plan to commercialize.