1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Asus 5870 driver timeout / blue screen

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Seeks, 15 Nov 2010.

1. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

Hey Guys,

I am in need of some help, as this crash was just happening ocasionally but is not happening 4-5 times a day and is getting in the way of both work and gaming.

I have had the PC for around 6 months now the specs of which are:

Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2
    Intel core i7 750 (was overclocked however disabled it)
    4GB Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 XMP RAM
    1GB ASUS HD5870
    Windows 7 64 bit

[EDIT]
    Forgot powersupply as some people have suggested that: 650W ANTEC TRUEPOWER NEW PSU

Its pretty reliable and had good reviews in CPC so doubt thats it.
    [/EDIT]

The errors never seem to happen during heavy duty gaming (ie something that requires quite a bit of graphics eg battlefield, f1 2010 etc) but normally when doing work, watching a video, or browsing the web.

Initially it was fine I would get it every now and then but not often enough for me to particularly worry about (was maybe once every 3-4 weeks). Then a friend said he had the same issue googled it and found it was smart doctor so removed that. That fixed that blue screen however I get another blue screen and still get the driver timeout and reset issue. (atikmdag.sys)

With the driver timeout and successful restart the screen flashes black, and then goes back to the screen, sometimes it works fine and I can reuse it and other times the mouse and usage is so slow I cant do anything and am forced to reboot.

The blue screen says that there was a timeout with the device driver and the restart failed. There is then a file reference atikmdag.sys

So what have I tried?
    • reinstalled drivers normally
    • updated to latest drivers
    • reinstalled drivers to latest version from safe mode
    • remove CCC
    • underclock graphics card

Really hoping you guy can help in some way.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2010
  2. mjb501

mjb501 What's a Dremel?

I know it sounds daft but have you tried flashing your motherboard's bios?

I had an issue with the mouse cursor becoming enlarged when browsing the web and Dirt2 freezing on all FMV's with my 5770 and Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3 last December, at first an ATI hotfix driver fixed this issue but it came back in later drivers, so after some searching I can across this fix:

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/22795-enlarged-mouse-cursor-certain-applications.html

Obviously be careful if you deceide to try flash your bios!

ATI have a manual driver restart shortcut in the start menu which you could try if the mouse is still slow after a blue screen.

Also the driver timeout is Windows detecting that after sending data to the GPU, 2 seconds have passed and the graphics card hasn't passed any graphics back to windows (Two seconds is a huge time processing for a gpu, a program running at 60 fps takes around 0.016). You can change the timeout value or disable it if you really want, but this may just cause your system to hang instead! The link below tells you how to do it.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx

3. Seeks

Seeks Minimodder

I suppose I could flash the bios of the motherboard, but your actual issue is different to mine not had any resolution issues or mouse enlarging like that. The issue is that it cant restart the driver.

Its interesting what you said and it does suggest that its a hardware issue kind of but I have googled and loads of others have this issue, so I assumed it was a driver. I can still return it to scan as its on warrenty still if its not hardware that wouldnt really solve anything. Another reason I have found is that it can be due to OS corruption, so if I cant find a solution here I will do an OS reload.