1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Kinect Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 16 Nov 2010.

1. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

This is the main reason for me to buy kinect. It makes u do some exercise while playing... I just wanted to buy one, but there's not a single xbox250gb + kinect available in my country, as soon as there is stock, it gets wiped clean in a couple of hours... :(

2. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Part of the problem for M$ and sony here lies in that most of the people in this bracket have already bought the wii. Time will tell if there marketing campaigns ae good enough to get them to buy what ,at the moment for me anyone, amounts to another wii.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

In some respects it seems like a bit of a tick box for MS. Look at the most recent EA Fitness game that requires motion detection. They've developed it for all three consoles - I bet you publishers everywhere are now pushing the developers who once only created for the Wii to create for both the PS3 and 360. MS are probably hoping all they need to do is sit back and all the games that once had the Wii as the sole target are suddenly multi-platform.

4. Zippededo

Zippededo What's a Dremel?

Sales figures must be good as Kinect is pretty much sold out. http://www.xbox360-offers.co.uk/kinect/kinect-stock-best-prices-deals.asp . Comet and Woolworths are showing stock but past experience tells me not to trust some of these secondary games retailers.

5. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

It's not limited to Xbox. Within 3 hours of release in Europe a hacker made proof of concept drivers to get it running under Linux. Apparently, a chunk of the limitations are software based - it has even more potential as a PC peripheral!

Don't have the link atm, but I think it was on Ars last week. I'll try and find it when later when I'm near a computer and not on my phone.

@edit: Don't think it was Ars, but a quick google of 'Kinect hacked' comes up with a few stories as well as it working on Mac

Last edited: 16 Nov 2010
  6. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Motion control = gimmick, will go the same way as music games and dance mat games before them.
    Good fun for a short time or a pissed up night with mates but ignored the rest of the time.

7. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I like the point you made about the amount of required space to use the product properly. I wonder if MS considered this when developing it as from my limited experiance of watching wife swap USA on channel 4 it seems American houses have pretty big lounges even the small ones!

8. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I think the point of the Kinect is for Kids, TBH. The in-laws got one and yeah, it was fun. Would I blow £130? No way. That said, every time I pass their window, their daughter is bounding around the room like a mentalist. I have a feeling that it will be this years number one Christmas gift, parent buy for kids, kids are fickle.
    At 6ft 6 I found the camera was not detecting me jumping unless I pulled my knees to my chin when jumping. No one else had this issue though.

9. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

From the review:

2 words, nail & head.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I don't think the price will be that much of an issue. Look how many muppets went out and bought the likes of Rock Band.

Even so, I think.. Meh.

11. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I find it quite funny that my problems with the Kinect are all in the review.

The real power of Kinect would be extra controls in game. Taking penaties in FIFA, slapping someone while having a convosation in Fable, gestures to squads/teammates in MWBO.

What about face and body mappings so your characters look like you (maybe with a slimming feature so you don't become an easy target...).

12. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

It's always going to be the case when it first comes out. The only way to release it is with cheap games that blatantly rip off nintendo as they are already popular and they want to attract nintendo lovers (which wont happen).

Everything hangs in the balance for thrid party developers, it will be them who make it successful or not and depending on how limiting the devices is in terms of room space requirements microsoft have cut the potential profits to less than half. In the UK anyway, there is too many small flats and terrace houses for this to work properly, hence it will be the domain of only the rich. On the box requirements it may as well state:

- HD TV
    - Good lighting conditions
    - Under 6ft tall
    - Large house
    - and at least one plonker

13. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

Can anyone comment on the lag, (is there any)?
    My wife played one of the dance games on the wii & it was pretty hopeless at picking up the moves. I'm hoping the kinect will do a better job, though I'm not getting one tl the price comes down (sub £100). - Oh & I get a new job!

14. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

lag varies from game to game

15. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Microsoft seem to be playing catchup all the time these days. No wonder Steve Ballmer has cashed his chips in...

16. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Lock'n'Load

Hmmm... not seen anything about this until now as I was browsing the site...

Have to admit I'm fascinated as to how it works? I mean do you have to wear reflective armbands etc to make it sense your position or does it do it all just by looking at you in whatever you are wearing? I assume since there is no mention in the article that it can separate you from the background also, so no need for like a bluescreen behind you etc?

It's not something I'd be interested in as a toy but if it was available for the PC, just to speculate about the potential, I can see applications for simulation games. I can't imagine what it could do though that the TrackIR can't. However, it could make a very useful teaching tool in serious applications, like surgical simulations or perhaps for people with learning difficulties.

Last edited: 17 Nov 2010
  17. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

Played with this at work, I agree that the titles do seem like HD Wii remakes, although Dance Central was a lot of fun with 3 of us making tits of ourselves.

Had a load of issues though with it not detecting hand movements, getting confused by the 2nd player, and for some reason when Boxing in the sports game, only one player was detected whilst doing 2 player.

We didn't have any issues with facial recognition, didn't get to try out the voice controls though due to a lot of background noise.

Also, Sonic Riders makes me weep with what they're doing to the poor franchise.

18. fabler

fabler What's a Dremel?

I think by owning Wii.. We will have to purchase all it's accessories to play games. But with kinect that won't be neccessory.. :)

19. Toploaded

Toploaded What's a Dremel?

I prefer the idea of move by far, although Its worth pointing out that I've spent above 130 on it between 2 'wands', 1 navigation controller, the eye toy and a charging station for them all. Admittedly the charging station is really not needed to improve the experience, but I really wanted an option to charge them without having the PS3 turned on, and of course this is not an issue with Kinect. The 2 wands and one navigation controller are kinda needed though to get the full enjoyment from Move and that games I have (Sports Champions and Heavy Rain). Other then those titles, the Moves line up is equally terrible so far, what a shame they put out a piss poor boxing game to showcase it.

All in all I'm very glad that motion control came to the HD consoles, I often played my Wii with my girl, and now I can game with her without looking 1999 graphics.

20. Cafuddled

Cafuddled What's a Dremel?

It's just 3 webcam's on a big long bar... I can see this getting cheaper and cheaper through unofficial channels.

Tags: Add Tags