1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

bk!

Ok, this is what I came up with in the night:

[​IMG]

The plan would be for it to break into 3 large bits when assembling (with quick release couplings between them), as well as having a removable motherboard tray.
    4 3x120mm radiators is enough cooling me thinks!

So what you think, stick with old design or use this new one?

2. Blackbriar

Blackbriar What's a Dremel?

@ Trance
    i like the old one more becaus its look better, but the idea is good :)

3. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

I hope so! Thanks.:hip:

4. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

how do I post pictures? Does it have to be on flikr or something first? as all I can see in the posting tools is add image url. God I feel like such a nooby nob

5. Razer2007

you can create an account on something like photobucket, and host your pics there. You can also upload your own pics by going into your user CP, and clicking the link "images and albums" > "add album" > "upload pictures" > then copy the BB code (with the tags) and paste it here.

Almost same goes to photobucket. just easier. but you need to make an account.

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You can either upload a picture to a filehost like flickr/imageshack/etc or you can upload pictures here on bittech. Nevertheless, you need to host them somewhere and then include them with the image-tags.

7. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

how do i host pictures here? and thanks for not ripping he pss out of me

8. Razer2007

9. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

10. Razer2007

11. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

Ok, here is my first mid case concept, working on component layout at the moment so thats why theres no case. In my eyes the most important specification points are

that the heat should not be mixed between the core components and the rads

most effective use of space and fans, especially in the mid size designs

and...... I cant think of any more at the moment.

Anyway heres the initial concept in VERY early stages.

Didn't think this would be so hard!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, quick explaination, 2 180mm air penetrators infront supplying air to the motherboard, with room in front left for a EK style res.

Above are the hard drives with the psu intake providing their cooling. The discdrive bays are at the front with the possibility to use lower ones for bay res. The space inbetween the harddrives and disc drives is for the fillport.

At the bottom are 2 360 rads, which are angled to allow the best air intake from a meshed bottom of the case, with the hot air exhausting out of the sides of the case. There is room inbetween the rads for pumps.

The rough overall dimensions at present are 630mm high, 400mm wide and 190mm deep. Tell me what you think

12. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

I have been a lurker for many years ( 6 now I think ) but I haven't been inspired to join until now. I would like to participate in the competition, but I have a few questions first. I have read through this thread and only noticed a passing mention of attribution.

First question > Will the winners name be included in the branding and/or marketing of the case? For example: I can buy a Ibanez guitar with Joe Satriani's signature. Something like this?

Second question > I have participated in other design competitions where the designers give up all rights to their submissions, and -all- submissions become the property of the company holding the competition, regardless of whether or not they are the winning design. Can you please clarify how intellectual property rights are being handled in this competition?

13. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

One other question, I tried to get dimensions from the phobya website, but it doesn't have any product listed.

Is there a full-line carrier of Phobya online that might have this info?

14. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

This is design no.2, again no actual case at present, as with true design, form follows function.

[​IMG]

the disc drives, hard drives and psu are all mounted at the rear of the motherboard

[​IMG]

Now on to the explaination.

In this design the motherboard has been rotated 90 degrees clockwise, with all the ports facing upwards, this means the bottom mounted fan/s blow upwards and take waste heat out the top, using natural physics, hot air rises.

Behind the motherboard compartment lies all the harddrives, discdrives and psu. The disc drives point upwards, as I envisioned this case as being placed under a desk instead of next to your screen.

The bottom mounted fans provide the air to both compartments (motherboard and hd/dd/psu).
    At present the bottom fan is an antec 200mm, this could change to 2 180mm air penetrators (if they fit).

The radiators are placed at the front taking air in through the front and exhausting out the sides. With the rotated motherboard it is possible to have another rad compartment at the rear, which could be used for extra discdrives, harddrives, res's, pumps etc, but I'm worried that it would make the case too long to fit under the average desk.

I think thats everything, sorry for the essay. Tell me what you think.

Personally I'm not totally happy with the discdrive placement for actual discdrives, would work really well for a baymounted res like the alphacool bullseye (http://www.arcticmod.com/files/detail/----PROMOTIONS----/BullseyeBay-D.jpg) with a melvin pipe. I use this setup in my own PC and the lighting effect is beautiful.

15. Kryss2k

Kryss2k What's a Dremel?

For most part you can get dimensions from various sites

The balancer 150 for example is (Diameter x Height): 50 x 150mm which I found on http://www.kustompcs.co.uk

16. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

The winner gets to name the case how they feel fit so it could be called the phobya ixmatal or the ixmatal by joe blogs. Totally up to you.

Only the winning case rights will be needed to start production.

Yes www.aquatuning.co.uk carries the full line.

17. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

tehe, I've been busy..

Thats all for now ;)

18. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Right I've decided to go back to my original design, but I'm not happy with it :( For one thing it is way too complex (the second design was even worse!), the folds and bending are probably possible, but slightly ridiculous :D so It's simplifying time! It also looks too much like a TJ07 lol, and although a few of you have said that isn't a bad thing I'd rather try and create something with a more unique design... sooo 3rd design coming up XD

Oh and razer I love the chassis, so simple but very effective! I did prefer it with a white outside though...

19. Razer2007

Now go go go!, design that case, and thanks for the input!

20. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

Razor, I don't have a hell of a lot of experience with watercooling, so I have a question about your design which might help me with mine. The setup of your case would mean that all the heat from the rads would be dumped into the case, would this cause problems for the PC components which arn't watercooled? especially with an overclocked system, which it most likely will be with a watercooling system

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.