1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win7 ultimate x32 vs xp pro x32?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by aznix2020, 15 Nov 2010.

1. aznix2020

aznix2020 What's a Dremel?

Is there any advantage in Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
    over
    XP pro sp3 32bit?

I have a XPpro sp3 32bit with latest updates and im wondering if Win7 ultimate x32 is better or just the same?

Core:
    Athlon II x2. 245-regor. 2.9MHz

RAM:
    3.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 334MHz (5-5-5-15)

MainBoard:
    REDFOX Technologies
    N61PC-M2S
    Chipset: NVIDIA
    Chipset Model: MCP61

BIOS:
    Brand Phoenix Technologies, LTD
    Version 6.00 PG
    Date 01/25/2010

Graphics:
    GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
    Physical Memory: 128MB
    Virtual Memory: 512 MB

HDD:
    4500GB Hitachi Hitachi HDS721050CLA SCSI 7200

as far as i know, win7 x64 beat xp because it can hold more than 3.5gb ram so ultimately,it performs better... but some say that if you only have like 2 or 3 gb of RAM and use win7 x64, it would only slow it down thus xp would be better.

Basically this tread is Win7 ultimate 32bit v.s. XP pro sp3 32bit v.s. Win7 ultimate 64bit
    using the pc rig above

2. DarrenH

DarrenH What's a Dremel?

Using the above rig?

You tell us! We don't have your setup. It would be very interesting if you did a comparison. Costly, time-consuming but interesting..

3. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Win 7, doesn't constantly use the scratch disc, so I assume it will seem a little faster. In actual applications, probably evens.

4. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

3GB ???

anyway..... Ive just gone from XP pro to WIN 7 pro and its great. Ive got 32bit on a laptop and 64bit on desktop

I would simply say that win7 is XP brought right upto date

ultimate ??? do you need those few extra features???

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

My old computer was similar to yours.. actually a bit slower.
    I have an nForce 4, AMD Athon X2 4400+ Socket 939 2.2GHz, 3GB of RAM DDR1.

I found Windows Vista and 7 64-bit provided me a significantly better experience. Yes it consumes a few more megabytes of RAM, and a more GB of HDD space (no one cares about HDD space these days... we have plenty of that). BUT, having the full OS in 64-bit, means it can do things easier thanks to the support of longer instructions and new operation codes. PLUS, it provides superior protections with Windows and CPU features exclusive to 64-bit version, AND I get to run 64-bit codecs which means greater performance on video's including HD video's, ability to run 64-bit Anti-virus such as Microsoft Security Essential for additional performance gain, and well as you guess ability to run 64-bit programs, which can provide (for those who are CPU intensive) greater performance increase. Flash and Java is two of them (Flash 64-bit is still in beta))

On my mother computer, an Nvidia ION (Atom 330, 1.6GHz dual core 64-bit), 2GB of RAM DDR2, I put her Win7 64-bit. Between running 32-bit codecs in playing 1080p MKV's and 64-bit codecs, the difference is large. Although, both plays the video properly. The 64-bit consume less CPU, which result in allowing you to do something on the back, or ensure perfectly smooth playback. While the 32-bit codec really peeks the CPU at 95-100%, for this little Atom.

6. zukomonitor

zukomonitor assumption is the mother of all....

Now thats a reply:thumb:

learn something new every day here. nice one

7. aznix2020

unfortunately i dont think my rig can handle 64bit well because i noticed that my core really heats up up-to 50"c using win7 64bit. while its only hovering @ 34"c right now with win7 32bit.

8. GoodBytes

Very strange. If anything, it should ease the CPU.
    I think the program that reads your temp mal function under Win7 64-bit, or that your CPU was simply hot due to the whole process of installing Win7. Or, as you motherboard is technically no Win7 ready, the OS was unable to downclock your CPU (driver problem. Did you try Vista drivers?. In my case I just used Windows default settings, however I did have a heatsink replacement, as I overclock my CPU).

9. aznix2020

well, as with win7 32bit (im using now)... its still reaches 38'c plus the room temp doesnt help that much at all since its also hot in here...
    but with Win7 32bit to XP 32bit, XP still is cooler bcuz its about 28-33 normal,35-40'c max.. while win7 is 36-38'c normal... 40 to almost 50 max (rendering video) all in 32 bit. so wtf???

CPU is 64bit ready and i even use win7 upgrade advisor and all is compatible.
    board is also compatible according to manufacturer...

you might be right about driver problem because now my HDD temp wont even show up in Speccy. but in XP it shows.

so back to the question, is there really advantage in win7 32bit (ultimate) against Xp 32bit (pro sp3,all updates)?

10. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Yeah. XP is lame.

11. GoodBytes

XP runs your CPU cooler due to AMD Cool'nQuiet technology. It does not work in Vista and up.
    When I was with XP, my CPU used to go down to 800MHz when idle, but since Vista it stays at 2.2GHz despite installing the nForce drivers. and Win7, well doesn't have any drivers other than Windows generic one, so obviously the feature doesn't work.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2010
  12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Why ultimate? Do you need any of the extra features it provides? Or do you just already have a copy at hand somehow?

13. LetsDoDamage

LetsDoDamage What's a Dremel?

I would say Windows 7 definitely. Ultimate is not, and never is, necessary. You may as well just go for Home Premium, or Professional if you need a few of those features.

14. aznix2020

(how do i "quote" replies? lol)

Well somehow i manage to "obtained" an ultimate version of it.
    Is "ultimate" bad?

this damn OS made me format my pc twice last night... i found out that Win7 no longer support "firewire" therefore i cant capture/import video from Camcorder (DV).

any solutions on firewire issues?

15. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

Think GoodBytes has a pretty complete answer further up.

Only thing I would suggest, is do your home work on each and every driver and software app you install. I run Win7x64 and I think I only have one (sadly out of date) application that uses the 32bit emulation, everything else is native x64 which makes a big difference.

You may find, as has been suggested that the either the processor temp is mis-reading, or the processor is being over utilised by poor or x86 code.

Let me know how you get on though incase I run in to issues myself in future.

Alex.

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and no ultimate is not bad, just has a lot more features than most people would use.

With Windows 7 Enterprise/Ultimate, you can take advantage of features like Direct Access, Brand Cache, Enterprise Search, BitLocker, AppLocker, and 30 odd language packs.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

No, it's just normally bloody expensive for extra features that 99% of users don't benefit from.

18. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

Agreed. by a HDD (or is it CPU these days?) and OEM Version to save a bit of money, http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173789