1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Advice on Soldering Irons!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ISJX_Ian, 23 Dec 2001.

1. ISJX_Ian

ISJX_Ian What's a Dremel?

Well, its time I do some mods to my case, and get my watercooling all integrated with a fanbus - so I'm gonna get me a soldering iron for christmas :)

Question is - Butane powered or Electric? Pricewise they are about the same, and butane is very cheap (probably less than electricity :D)

Anyway - what do you guys recommend? Also what power rating should I be looking at for a general purpose soldering iron that I may one day use to solder a few components onto PCBs (although probably not Surface Mounted components)

Cheers,
    Ian

2. RTT

RTT #parp

i use a 50w Draper soldering iron for everyday use :)

you can get them pretty cheap, just make sure its over about 40w and it should serve you well.

hope this helps :)

3. ISJX_Ian

well the butane one I was considering is 75W variable temperature, which I liked the sound of :) Sadly the only choices I have are the ones available at Maplin, as its about the only place I know that'll be open tomorrow.

Here's the gas one, £49.99, 75W variable, and here's the electric one, £44.99, 50W variable temp

That might help narrow things down a bit :)

Last edited: 23 Dec 2001
  4. RTT

RTT #parp

youve posted the same link twice ;)

that butane one does look tempting :D

5. linear

linear Minimodder

6. linear

linear Minimodder

Oh, and I wouldn't recommend a butane iron as your primary tool. They're great for carrying around in a toolkit though. I carried one a few years ago and it saved the day a time or two. Make sure you carry solder too....

7. ISJX_Ian

Any particular reason why? I've been looking for someone who's used a butane one before, get some first hand comments on one :)

8. macroman

macroman The One

I agree. Butane is not really suitable for the kind of soldering you are likely to do around your PC. You will probably do more damage burning stuff than making things work. ;)

a 25W electric iron with a small to medium tip , (1/8"), would be plenty for most jobs.

9. ISJX_Ian

so you dont think its worth forking out the extra fortune for temperature control?

10. K

K 528491

I dunno, these are what we use at work ;)

11. ISJX_Ian

maybe I should cancel my order of my 2 80GB maxtor HDD's and get one of those for christmas instead then :)

12. pheonix

pheonix Toot Toot!

thats expensive

13. K

K 528491

They're good for reworking on QFPs and ICs on PCBs though :D

14. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Ive got both and the butane one is great for in the garden shed or carrying arround in your tool kit and heats up in about 15 seconds. Electric is a bit better indoors but takes much longer to heat up.

15. ISJX_Ian

to tell the truth I am not so bothered if the gas ones arent quite as good as the electric ones, as long as its sufficient for simple soldering jobs for now I'm happy. If it had some major flaw I'd think again, but the convenience of not needed a socket to plug it in, and the lack of cord (and the blow-torch feel :D) make me think it may be worth the few downers

16. ChriX

ChriX ^

Me too, it serves me well :)

17. ZeffriN

ZeffriN What's a Dremel?

If your soldering anywhere near transistors or PCBs, you want something like 15 to 25watts...

Butane does sound cool, but you can't leave em on for an hour at a time... If you're doing a whole project you can leave your electric in it's stand while you place stuff and not worry about it.

=)

18. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

19. Fatboy

Fatboy Bored

I got a 100w electric soldering iron but it is crap because the end is kind of a loop of wire (bout 1cm top to bottom) and it heats up too damn quick- as in 5 seconds :eek: ket a slow small one 'tis much better. Maplin do ones with interchangeable ends so you can use fat or thin ends when soldering.

20. rK@NE

rK@NE Rover's gonna get it...

My Antex 25w has seen me proud through the years and it's British made so that can't be bad.
    Personally I've never seen the need for anything with a higher wattage but there you go :D