1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Crysis 2 Xbox 360 Preview

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Nov 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. The_Jonas

The_Jonas \m/

So does the PC version of the game also get downgraded because of the console's lacking certain aspects? Or do we still get the full package we expected before?

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

To clarify: I've played the preview build of the PC version (singleplayer only) and it looked better than this and felt far slicker.

4. Canon

Canon Reformed

Whilst it's nice to see a game such as this optimised for consoles, I really hope it doesn't have the 'Modern Warfare' effect on release, I'm sick of explaining to friends why their favourite games look better on my PC. Bah Humbug.

5. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I still play on the PC, I'm going to buy the XBOX360+kinect just to be the new Wii for the family, so this doesn't bother me that much... :)

(just hope that the PC version doesn't get dumbed down). XD

6. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

I think nVidia will have poured enough money into Crysis 2 to make it special.

7. danielleil

danielleil Can't stop spending...

It looks fantastic in the pictures, hope I don't need a hardware upgrade to play it. Fingers crossed that my GTX480 will handle it with everything switched on. If not then it may be time to add a second card....

8. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

What is going on with the last picture used in this preview?

All of the other screenshots look excellent but the last one is awful. There appears to be no AF or AA present and the LOD seems to be set at around 5 feet.

9. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

By slicker do you mean a less bloaty movement (ala BC2 bloaty) by any chance?

EDIT: @canon: Did i just read "bah Hamburg" :confused:

10. Cafuddled

Cafuddled What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't it be a kick if the second was technically inferior to the first.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

This preview just confirms what I've expected from Crysis 2 since the first announcement. Consolified muck.

Admittedly, my interest wold be low even if they hadn't screwed with the gameplay mechanics for the sake of the consoles. The fact that all of the promotional material and gameplay footage so far focus on and emphasises the aliens just puts me right off.

I personally prefer fighting human or humanoid enemies in shooters, but some developers can make combat against non-humanoid opponents exciting and fun. Crytek is not one of those developers.
    They made a mess of Far Cry with the Trigens and only the first half of Crysis was actually worth playing for more than the visuals simply because of how painfully boring and one-dimensional the game became when it shifted to Nomad vs the aliens instead of Nomad vs the KPA.
    Crysis 2 looks set to continue that trend by rehashing the worst half of Crysis and updating the graphics slightly whilst dumbing the gameplay down.

I really don't see what the issue was with the Crysis suit modes, either. Anyone with half a brain could ninja their way through the suit modes with just a little bit of practice (I thought the middle-mouse radial menu for it was fantastically well-executed for that purpose) and it made for a much more dynamic and exciting shooter because of that mode-ninjaing gameplay. At least for the first half of the game, that is.

Anyway, I'll hold back on *really* judging Crysis 2 until I've tried it out, but I'm really not expecting much.

12. Cafuddled

Cafuddled What's a Dremel?

Also is it just me or do the first 2 images look highly glossed over?

13. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

the only review i'll be reading for Crysis 2 will be Bit-tech. well written preview, with constructive criticism from a PC gamer's point of view. thank you.

another title crushed under pressure to consolify. shame, but still going to buy it (on PC no question) just like i've bought previous Crysis, to support development and their push for more demanding games.

14. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Hope they aren't stupid enough to put an activation limit on it like they did with crysis warhead. If they do I will not be buying it.

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

There's activation on Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (not to mention it's apparently buggy as... of a mind to return my copy unopened when it does finally show up... I didn't know about the online activation when I ordered it - was hoping it was going to be like Shift) so no reason to believe they would correct that in Crysis 2.

I agree, Zurechial; I find myself replaying Crysis from the start to the aliens, but then I just quit and don't bother any more. Versus the KPA it was impressive. Versus the aliens, it's just... tedious. Just like Far Cry with the Trigens. Why Crytek do that, I have no idea...

I bet it'll sell better on consoles, despite them being technically inferior, as depressing as that will be.

16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

/me shakes head.

**** em. I'll prolly grab it when its bargain bin fodder but don't expect me to bother with an ironman run for it, i may give it a scathing review tho in an attempt to convince people to buy the original over the sequel.

17. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

One of the pictures looks like it's taken on a Wii console with a 35mm film-camera, scanned to jpg and then converted to Gif. Others however I was actually a bit impressed, allthough weapons look dull.

Why do the big aliens hate taxies?

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

actually Ive just remembered, crytek has a rater large and dedicated modding community behind it. I wouldn't be surprised if Crysis 2 gets torn asunder and "repaired"

19. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

You sir are a genius... fancy that a console game being consolified, whatever next...

20. mpr

mpr What's a Dremel?

Don't worry, they'll blame poor sales on the PC and it will only be a console titles from here out...

Tags: Add Tags