1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Gigabyte K8100 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 21 Nov 2010.

1. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

My Logitech UltraX is still mechanical, it has just a shorter stroke due to the scissor-mechanic used then the good old Cherry G80.... so what exactly are you speaking off?

Last edited: 21 Nov 2010
  2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

While as a brit I find it annoying to use a US style keyboard, the toughest to use was a Turkish keyboard I used recently. Although most of the letters are in a similar place, in place of i there is the letter ı which looks similar when you're reading, but obviously doesn't work in usernames or passwords.
    It took me a good five minutes to login to my webmail :(

Wading in to the slimline vs mechanical debate, I prefer the mechanical action of the basic dell keyboards of the last few years. They don't have any fancy macro keys (or even media keys which I would like), and no eye melting paint jobs either, but they work bloody well, are pretty indestructible and best of all, they're dead cheap :)

3. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

There is no gaming KB without an LCD, currently Logitech is the only one with this and will be the only company I even consider for keyboards.
    There are many many keyboards out there that I would use if they had an LCD, but no LCD = No purchase.

Yours in LCD Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

5. Star*Dagger

Cheap is shabby.
    That KB is completely inadequate for gaming purposes.

Some of the things that are must haves on a gaming KB:jawdrop:
    1) LCD screen,
    2) Macro keys
    3) Windows key lock out (lose a PvP match when windoze switches you to desktop and you will agree)
    4) Laser cut back lit keys (ideally with customizable color schema)
    5) Reinforced WASD keys and other engineering for gamers

And don't forget you need mice too, one for MMOs (Razor Naga) and one for FPS, but that is another story.

Yours in Go big or Go home Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

6. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah bought that for my old rig.. it's not a bad keyboard though- was actually surprised- wasn't expecting much but it seems pretty sturdy

gigabyte make pretty good stuff.. sure you can spend whatever and get the best, still doesn't make you a better gamer xD

7. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

I don't know quite what is going on, I kinda want one :D

Hmm... I may have to spray my G15 bright orange lol, although I guess you need the angles to pull off the horrendously bright colour.

PS. wtf are you on about for the UK kb layout? I guess not many people bother with it then because this kb is a UK layout and it doesn't have a half size b.space and it DOES have a # key. Pretty retarded rant, not quite sure why I got upset about it either haha! Maybe because you pretty much called us idiots for our kb layout as if we, as a nation, designed it. d**k

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Erm....

I'm playing games for some 20 years now and I've never needed all of these things you mention there, and I never had any problems without those features.
    All I need is a keyboard with good quality so it doesn't break apart within 3 years of using it, which never happened to any of my keyboards yet.

When we played Doom or DukeNukem some 15 years back in time none of those features were available anyways and nobody was complaining.
    What additional stuff is to be found in modern FPS that would require any fancy features you mentioned there?

A keyboard has to be comfortable to use and rigid enough to last 5 years atleast. Nothing else is needed and only wasted efforts imho.

9. Yoy0YO

Yoy0YO Lurky Lurker

Man, I always wondered what had happened to the Gigabyte Keyboard K800 (not K8100).

[​IMG]

It was mechanical, had macros with the F keys, rather heavy looking but it disappeared before you knew it.

It was the BBC Micro's true successor

[​IMG]

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

This is you trollin' right?

11. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

I'm gonna jump on the hating UK keyboard bandwagon too - that damn Alt Gr key!! I'd like to be able to hit Alt with either hand ffs! Why the hell should it only use the standard Windows function on one side?!

Other than that, I'm not fussed about the differences. I grew up using US keyboards and the only particularly relavant change when I switched to UK was the " and @ simbols swapping. The left shift key was mildly annoying, but easy to adapt to. I can still easily switch back to US keyboards, though I'm not a fan of the half-height return key anymore. Whatever happened to the L-shaped return key that was like the UK one but inverted?

12. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Cherry MX Browns Cheesecake.

13. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I've always wondered why someone hasn't made a specialty keyboard with the clicky switches like the old IBM model Ms. Have you see what those go for these days? :O

14. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So... How are the back-lite keys actually look in the dark?

15. TheLostSwede

TheLostSwede What's a Dremel?

16. Cafuddled

Cafuddled What's a Dremel?

At least you would not lose it in the dark.

17. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

@Yoy0YO
    I also loved the look of the K800
    @ jrs77
    scissor switches are not really what is intended when discussing mechanical switches on keyboards
    this website defines the terms quite well
    http://www.overclock.net/keyboards/491752-mechanical-keyboard-guide.html
    @Star*Dagger
    completely dissagree (but then I have a steelseries 7 so in keyboards were on different worlds.
    @Cthippo
    ahhh the old IBM - the ultimate keyboard
    you can look as the DAS or Razer BlackWidow

The Razer BlackWidow certainly sounds a perfect compromise
    http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Keyboard-SteelSeries-Razer,review-1594.html

I'll however stick with my steelseries, MS ergonomic and Belkin Nostromo n52te which cover most requirements.

18. Star*Dagger

Backlit keys are not just for dark ops. Place a "normal" unlit KB next to a backlit one in any room and you will see how much more usable the lit one is.

Yours in Positive control Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I can't agree more. I love my backlit keyboard (Logitech Illuminated keyboard). I got hooked on it, when I got my Dell Latitude E6400 which comes with a backlit keyboard. So useful!

20. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

meh, I have a razer arctosa, with has black lettering on black keys, without backlighting. Doesn't matter to me because I touchtype/game. I imagine it would be hell to use for most people.

Tags: Add Tags