1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grrrr barely no point for me over next few days :(

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by coolamasta, 21 Nov 2010.

1. coolamasta

coolamasta Folding@Home CC Captain 2010/11/12

The crappy ADSL internet connection that has 90% of my folding rigs on has gone down and still not back up after a day+ :waah: why oh why do BT suck sooo much :wallbash: :wallbash:

Just hoping they will pull their damm fingers out this week and get it sorted!
    Sorry for random thread, just not nice seeing 180k PPD worth of folding gear sat there all waiting to send WU's back :waah:

Rant over :sigh:

2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Aw man that sucks!
    So much crunching power just sitting there doing nothing :(

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

If you keep Folding, will all the completed WUs be returned in time?

4. BJS

BJS What's a Dremel?

Hope they get it sorted for you before you loose too many points Coola.

5. Chicken76

Chicken76 Minimodder

Do you have a dedicated connection for your folding farm?

6. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

Loosing your ADSL is a 'real' pain - hope its back up soon.

(I've had a 'lesser' pain with my newish Windows 7 machines loosing the internet every few days - turned out to be an issue with the modem firmware!)

Speaking of points issues - I note Phoenicis hasn't got any, as is PPD is over 400,000 this morning :lol:

7. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

connect each pc in turn via your cellphone's net connection? slow and painful but at least you'd get the WU's away..

8. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

I'll bet you're spitting nails coola. Hope they pull their finger out and you're back up soon.

Regrettably, I'm suffering from the same problem Doc. I've not only been losing connectivity to the internet but have been losing the whole network. Following your lead, I've just updated the firmware on my Netgear but I've already ordered a new router.

9. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD What's a Dremel?

You still have work to do Phoenicis - a HardOCP folder got over a million points on one day.

10. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

No fair egging me on considering my diagnosed 'lack of self restraint syndrome' for which the likely prognosis is 'extreme poverty' ;)

I had him in my sights but the bounder keeps commissioning SR2s at a faster rate than I can.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2010
  11. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

So it's not just me - that's good to know. My network freezes up whenever I visit the MSI home page ~ which seems so strange I've never admitted to it.

12. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

lol, that is strange.

It's funny how we're all sitting there with connectivity problems thinking 'I bet nobody else is having this problem. I should know how to fix this.'

The confessional is now officially open :D

13. Scruffy_Dog

Scruffy_Dog Woof

I was away over the weekend and thought all would fold nicely on its own.
    You guessed it, connection problems on Friday night and no points at all on Saturday as nothing could get any work, then finally arrived home Sunday evening and all sorted itself with a load of reseting the router.
    They must have been doing work on exchanges all over the place this past weekend. My ppd average has dropped 30% :(

14. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I'd been having problems with my Netgear modem/router (DG834N) - I don't think it liked it when a number of clients would queue to send results - it would just throw its towel in and say "you're having a laugh aren't you mate"!
    So I bought a Billion 7800n a few weeks ago - sweet (.... well it is now, with the firmware fix!)

15. phoenicis

phoenicis Retired Chimp

Not good, coola seems to have come back up again and then gone back down. Hope there's light at the end of the tunnel Rob.

Replaced the netgear with a basic Belkin. Touching wood, no disconnects for a few days now.

16. coolamasta

:wallbash: Its been down the last couple of days again, 3 times in the last week this has happened and on a weekend I cant get to it :waah: :waah:

Rebooting the router gets it working again but then seems to drop the ADSL connection when it feels like it and it wont re establish it until you power it onff/on, BT are having nothing to do with it and say their line tests are fine so tomorrow which check router firmware and faiing that will have to try and dig out another ADSL router and see whats going on, if they both dont solve it BT are in for it haha

Getting very annoyed now that im dropping so much in PPD because of it Grrrrrr:wallbash: :wallbash:

17. GeorgeStorm

I think both LAN ports have died on my desktop, so no points from me :(
    No idea when I'm going to be able to solve the problem :/

18. Christopher N. Lew

Christopher N. Lew Folding in memory of my father

USB / LAN adaptor <£5 on eBay and elsewhere :D

19. GeorgeStorm

Tis ok, spent literally all last night trying to sort it (from around 1am till 8, I'm kinda tired :p)
    Earlier this afternoon got them working again, really weird, no idea how, think it was a mix of a BIOS update and reinstalling all of the drivers for the board.
    And, just bagged a 465, which should be good for 12k+, pair that with maybe an e6300?/e4300? (which would be better?)
    And I'll have doubled my output to 25k+ hopefully :)

20. coolamasta

Arrrgghhhhh it went down again on weekend, another day and a half lost, I tried another router last week but that dropped the connection too, need to rip someones ear off at BT again I think... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: