1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming The Death of Stealth

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Nov 2010.

1. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

I'll try that :thumb:

2. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

I would argue that games that have the 'stealth option', as opposed to the solid stealth type, do stealth very badly. Crysis has perfect stealth with the cloak, but like Farcry, hiding in bushes doesn't really hide you, and the enemy can spot you from across the map.

In a pure stealth game you are limited to stealthy options, even kills need to be quiet. When stealth is optional it becomes a very poor choice. In Fallout 3 you can sneak into a base or facility, but if you are seen you are almost required to fight your way out. There aren't many places to actually HIDE in Fallout 3.

The pure stealth game needs to allow the player to hide to avoid guards or to lose his 'wanted level', and prevent his sneaking from being too overpowered such as the Crysis cloak. (Okay, okay, it only lasts a few seconds, but you're totally invisible while it's on.)

The latest stealth game I've played is Batman: AA. It's the only game that's really scratched my stealth itch since Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory.

3. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

MS ruined Splinter cell along with alan wake. MS = Worst thing to happen to gaming. At least Sony tries new ideas, Heavy Rain, Demons Souls, etc.....

4. mastorofpuppetz

Metal Gear Solid 4 was very stealthy, with a story better then most RPG's.

5. mastorofpuppetz

Batman AA best stealth game ever, BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Lulz. Yeah, right.

6. _crazy_crazy_

_crazy_crazy_ mi mum say's that i'm special

well if you say that mgs4 ain't a stealth game anymore i advise you play it in big boos mode and then talk about stealth ..... just my 2 cents

7. Cafuddled

Cafuddled What's a Dremel?

MGS is very stealthy, Peace Walker is more of the same also.

Thinking back to my last play through of Hitman makes me feel like I want to jump back in to that game. I was the kind of player that never even used any of the other guns. Just the single silenced pistol and chloroform to knock out the innocents. The fussy feeling was always had when you manage to get to your mark shoot him with one round to the head with out even being noticed and no one being aware that anything was even happening. The hiding his body in somewhere they would never find and leaving the map just as you entered it. Proper Leon Style!

8. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've just this last week fixed up my old Win98 PC just so I could play Theif II again.

9. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I think a modern stealth game could do well, I say assassins creed followed the dna of a hitman type game, where you could slip in and out without alerting any suspicion, but made it too easy to fight your way out of everything.

I think the problem with stealth games has always been AI, if one guard saw you they would all go into alert and quickly hunt you down and kill you. As mentioned it was binary either you were completely silent or you were spotted and basically game over. There was no inbetween.

Some games worked this out fundamental flaw better than others, MGS was pretty interesting having the radio call in a team to clear rooms, and assassins creed let you blend into crowds and hide. silent assassin gave you no options and the second one person was alerted everyone was. I wish someone would bring that series into the 21st century, it had such interesting settings and a good plot.

10. Kilmoor

Kilmoor lurker

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

What an incredible series. Stealth is an integral part of the game, if you want to make it past the first five minutes.

'Nuff said.

11. St3v30

St3v30 What's a Dremel?

It's unfortunate that one of my favorite genres is dying out. We desperately need a new Hitman in classic style. I have heard rumors about this possibility, which makes me happy.

Tags: Add Tags