1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Free Dual Screen Rig if I can get the backlights working!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by scifi3018, 23 Nov 2010.

1. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

So I was offered a free dual screen setup the other day that was "probably broken". I plugged them in and saw a flash of life and the screen searching for an image, I didn't notice until I got it home that the backlights cut off after a few seconds. I did some research and found that it most likely was the caps inside the monitor. I popped it open and didnt find any caps that looked bad:
    [​IMG]
    I thought since the monitor had an external brick, that those could be the culprits so I popped one open:
    [​IMG]
    Sorry for the blurry pic, but you can see the swelling here.
    Clearer shot of both bricks opened up:
    [​IMG]

It looks to me as if the caps in the power brick need to be replaced, but if that is that is the solution, then since I know that the adapter provides 12vdc 3.5a, is there a way to use a computer PSU to provide that power? Will a conventional PSU provide enough juice for both of the monitors?

So my questions are:
    1) Are the caps in the power brick the problem? If not, any ideas?
    2) Would modding a PSU be a viable alternative to replacing caps? (I have a few extra PSU's around so it would be more convenient in the short term.)

2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

3. scifi3018

scifi3018 Minimodder

Sure, buying a new power brick is one option... but wheres the fun?
    And before buying a new power brick, I want to know that they are actually the problem. Hopefully someone around has some insight to this... or maybe I will just dive in later on tonight.

4. Reitau

Reitau WizD Rawks

If you have something to hand to dismantle maybe have a go, but for £30ish plus P&P just get the new PSU's TBH?

Alex.

5. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and the inverter may have been damaged by the faulty bricks, but yes you could use a 12v rail from a pc power supply, so long as the rails are heavy enough for everything.