1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Newbie at building - Advice on a workstation for graphics please?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by roarke80, 23 Nov 2010.

1. roarke80

roarke80 What's a Dremel?

Hi,

I'll like to build a workstation custom made for intensive 3D modeling and rendering work, and also gaming after hours, with a budget of up to £1700 including moniter. Can anyone please give me some advice on what components would be most suitable at that price?

Also, the last time I built my own computer was at least 6 years ago, so I'm nervous about putting it together myself. Is it worth taking the risk to build? I understand Scan has a 28 day insurance in case I break something during assembly, is that helpful and does any other retailer have that?

Alternatively, I am looking at pre built systems. Apart from Scan, can anyone recommend other trusted retailers for pre built systems?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

2. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Firstly don't be nervous I am sure you will get enough advice on here to help you through the process.

1) What software will you be running?

Scan do have breakage insurance but you pay for it. I am not sure of how it is scaled but a £150 item cost me around £4 to insure.

Check this out has some good advice there.

http://blog.miragestudio7.com/building-a-computer-for-3d-rendering/638/

Last edited: 23 Nov 2010
  3. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Last edited: 23 Nov 2010
  4. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Rendering and 3D modeling take more CPU power than gaming does, so you'll likely want a good processor with a nice overclock for it and a lot of memory.

I haven't priced these, but I'd recommend something along the lines of:
    i7-950
    12GB 1600MHz memory
    GTX 460 or 6850
    500W-650W psu
    Decent air cooler
    etc.

5. roarke80

roarke80 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the great advice and links! I'm confused after reading a few conflicting articles, which is actually better for rendering and 3D: Xeon or i7?

Programs I will be running are Maya, Cinema 4D, Vue, Realflow, AfterEffects, Photoshop and other similar programs.