1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Small Black ops lag fix

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by murraynt, 10 Nov 2010.

1. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Consoles are starting to look very appealing now.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

k i'm getting pissed off now.

I can't believe I need an overclocked fcking i7 and a GTX480 to run this god damn game properly

It felt fine for a while because it was barely running at first but now I can see it's not even playable because of all the drops under 60fps. Whenever the framerate drops, it's useless to even try to shoot someone because the shots just won't reg

god damn it

3. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

What settings are you trying to run Knuck?

4. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I think the new patch made it worse :(

5. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I've heard that a lot, but I actually think overall things are a little better for me now.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

doesn't matter. I get the same thing at any settings. I know what you're thinking; cpu bottleneck. That's why I am trying to sell my board/cpu/ram to buy an i7

Actually , I wonder if I should try to sell them on the forum

It did for me

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

You shouldn't have to upgrade just for the sake of one bugged game.

8. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

This is why I've been stuttering since the patch:

[​IMG]

e: it resets itself every load on my machine.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2010
  9. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

think that's normal rogan.. when you switch windows like that to the task manager- the background apps running change to below normal

least that's what I've seen.. you can use powerstrip to run a game priority above average on launch- I do this with certain titles myself, it does help on some games to keep them silky smoove.. I don't have black ops though, sounds like a console port with warrior approved stamped on the cover :baby:

10. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I know but it's not the only game which isn't running fast enough to my liking. TF2 also drops in the 50fps when there is a lot of action so I need more power.

It's mostly for the fun of upgrading however.

11. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Ah, thats ok then.

12. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

new patch hasn't fixed anything for me.

this basically got me to really ponder on what could cause these bad performance issues. My chief suspect is the theatre mode. that thing has to obviously always be recording. some cpu's probably can't handle running the game and the theatre mode in tandem. perhaps disabling it will help?

13. knuck

knuck Hate your face

recording takes no juice whatsoever. I used to record hour long matches in ut99 back when I was playing seriously and my pc had no problem. Same with ut2k4 or CS.

All it does is record the actions of players and then recreate them during playback, hence why it is not really accurate

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I doubt it has anything to do with the problem.

I played for a few minutes yesterday and the game was perfectly fluid. It wasn't a huge server however and it wasn't in a map I have played very often so maybe the problem is still there and I just didn't get to see it.

I don't know what to think about this game anymore.

14. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I thought the same thing. But where i change my opinion is that it is choking up the HDD.:idea:

15. spectre456

i still wanna give it shot though. if deleting the config can fix things for a while then i wanna see what this will do. anyone know how to disable it?

16. Rogan

Rogan Not really a

It was because I'd set steam below normal and restarted black ops. It's a child process thing.

I have now found a working fix though. :D

Install the latest DXSDK

And turn off steam overlay.

I still need to set priority to high for best results.

17. roarke80

roarke80 What's a Dremel?

My laptop is within minimum specs for Black Ops, but the lag is so bad I have given up after 5 missions =( Fix doesn't work for me. The same laptop could play Modern Warfare 2 just fine. Time to upgrade I guess.

18. spectre456

i read here that turning up your AA and AF setting can help reduce the stuttering because it supposedly offloads most of the processing to the GPU and gives the CPU a bit of breathing room. It helped me a bit when i turned my setting to about 4x for both AA and AF ( i believe 1 little bar in the slider stands for 1x of how much the setting is applied.

Also, i've noticed that when my brother plays his copy of black ops online (ps3) i lose connection to whatever match i was playing (says server disconnected). is this because the game has the same ports for both the PC and PS3 version? would i have to forward my ports to fix this?

19. Pinnecel

Pinnecel What's a Dremel?

Works for me.. Thx alot Rogan