1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Ubuntu - isn't it wonderful!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zinfandel, 17 Aug 2010.

1. sibster

sibster What's a Dremel?

quick qusetion kubuntu or ubuntu for a novice, gona gove this linux ago on my laptop.
    Thanks all,
    Will photoshop work on it aswell many thanks steve

2. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the same OS with a different desktop environment. Whilst neither is particularly better or easier, I'd suggest Ubuntu as it probably has more support out there than a derivative thereof. (Not that it should matter 'under-the-hood').

Photoshop will not work, neither will any .exe Windows program. You can fiddle with wine or something similar to try and force photoshop to work, or you use The GIMP, a OSS photoshop alternative. Look here for more linux alternatives.

3. Gryphon

Gryphon What's a Dremel?

One of my friends has got photoshop CS4 running on Xubuntu under WINE... he is a bit of a linux genious, but there are guides on google :)

4. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

if you are willing to learn BASH, http://linuxcommand.org/ is one of the best tutorials i've seen up to day. take the time to go trough all the pages and really do it on your computer, it is a nice read and shows step by step what you can and can't do with it.
    good luck

5. roarke80

roarke80 What's a Dremel?

I am DESPERATE to find an alternative to Windows (I hate it I hate it I hate it) and Mac OS (too shiny and overpriced). I am about to build a new machine and would happily install Ubuntu on it. But I am a designer by trade, does this mean I have to use emulation in order to run AfterEffects, Photoshop, Cinema 4D, Maya etc etc on it? How stable is this and wouldn't it slow down the spanking new machine?

6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Yes you would, and yes it will slow down, for those things that run, and not everything will.

You can check the WINE compatibility list for your specific applications.

7. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Sound like you need to dual boot, you wouldn't really want to waste performance in your main apps by running under emulation, with virtualization offered in these new CPUs performance can be good but there can be things that don't work quite as well as expected or at all.

Something you can do is keep what ever OS is needed for you main stuff and run a virtual host for whatever OS you want to use, I do this on my work laptop that needs to be XP :rolleyes: and run Virtual box for my Ubuntu stuff, Ubuntu being my preferred OS as I like the software and was easy to setup with low resource requirements. once you fullscreen the virtual OS you wouldn't know there was another running behind it.

8. roarke80

roarke80 What's a Dremel?

Hey, that actually sounds pretty good to me, running Windows as main OS for work and Ubuntu in a Virtual box for music, email and everything else. I'll definitely give that a go, thanks!

9. its

its What's a Dremel?

I've used Ubuntu on my desktop since 5.10 back in 2005. I don't do any gaming, and if I just would have a single game, I'd just boot my Macbook into Windows.

Ubuntu is AMAZING, and a hell of a lot have happened the past years making it a "real", full OS experience.

Even my grandmom uses Ubuntu on her 8 year old PC for e-mail and web browsing.. And that just works flawlessly :)

10. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'm not a windows fangirl, but I have a windows7 PC and my mac. What are you comparing Windows against when you say you hate it? I'm only asking as Windows7 is actually a pretty good OS for a multitude of different tasks. I really don't mind Win7 or OSX they both "just work", you can't always say the same for a linux derivative.

So what have you seen that's better than Windows?

11. minimad127

minimad127 CPC Refugee

really it all totally depends on what you actually want to do with your systems

personally i dont use OSX and have only played with it every now and then but to be honest i dont see what the fuss is about, yes it might do something better than the other operating systems, however i have not come accross anything it can do, that the other systems cant, that the average user is likely to want to do

windows i can understand because of how much you can get for it

and Linux well personally i find it fantastic for everyday things, yes its let down by its lack of gaming ability which stops me fully converting but other than that i have generally found it just as easy to use as windows and usually a lot faster for example my little laptop (dell x300) running a single core celeron 1.2ghz cpu with 512 DDR RAM and a crappy 40gb hdd running Lubuntu boots up faster and generally runs as quick as my gaming system (when booting to windows as i duel boot) E8400 overclocked to 4ghz with 4gb of DDR2 and a samsung f1 with vista 64 (so want to change to windows 7 just dont have the funds at the moment)

- although i always find it funny with the 'just work' idea, how many times do people have to find drivers for their hardware when installing windows? and how many people have to install bootcamp on OSX just so they can run the programs they want to? and then people go ahead and complain that Linux doesnt 'just work' because you might have to use WINE to run a program, or copy a small bit of text into terminal, really every operating system i have seen requires some work to get it to do what you want, but it always seems that people are less able to notice the work they have to put into non Linux based operating systems than they do when working in Linux

oh well`

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

People are afraid to explore new things. Perhaps not an issue for the b-t audience, but generally people aren't prepared to make the effort with something unfamiliar - even if the "something unfamiliar" may be better for them in the long run.

It also doesn't help that much of the configuration/tinkering in Linux involves the command line. Even though you don't have to figure out the commands because there are readmes or guides, it's still a command line, and people still fear the command line.

13. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Do you know if there is an equivalent manual for ubuntu 10.10?

14. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

tried ubuntu. It Sucked, and failed, then sucked even more.

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm running linux for 15 years now on fileservers and media-PCs and it's fine for that.

If you depend on graphics-software in your job tho, well... Adobe CS, Cinema 4d etc will never be available for linux and allthough there's WINE it just doesn't work out.

theevilelephant likes this.
  16. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

+1

It really depends what you need to do with your computer, I use windows on my desktop because I play a fair few games but on my laptop I have linux.

17. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Exactly what I do - Desktop = Win7 & Vista, Laptop = Fedora 14.

Prefer Debian (I know Ubuntu is based on it) and Fedora to any Ubuntu release.