1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming A Letter to Minecraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 28 Nov 2010.

1. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

Also: there is a kind of satisfaction to be had in that somebody walks up to your structure and says: "that's pretty impressive alpaca." and then i can say: "hey, come with me, i'll show you a nice and nifty room, or a clever way i used that or that kind of block." and then they say, "waw, cool." later on, when i pass by their structure, and i see they copied the way i used that block...

somehow, i get more satisfaction out of that than out of some guy in CSS or COD:MW saying: "nice shot" if i score a headshot across the map.

Also: the map is constantly changing. you can just go exploring and find a nice cozy treehouse or maze or spleef arena that somebody built since the last time you went there. it's refreshing.

EDIT: but these are just the things why i like it. this is an encouragement for all of you to just try it. and i will see you in no way as a lesser person if you don't like it. I didn't like deus ex, and i don't think you guys consider me less for that (however, i DON'T get that much rep...:D)

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

So it's used as a way to bolster feelings of insecurity through the admiration of strangers?

Whatever helps I guess.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What clothes do you wear? ;)

Let's not get too hung up on a game. Those who enjoy: enjoy. Those who don't: enjoy something else. It would be a boring world where everybody liked the same things (I've seen ITV, and what has been seen...). Let's revel in the creativity of our differences. It's all good.

4. StoneyMahoney

StoneyMahoney What's a Dremel?

Different stokes move different folks. There, wasn't that much easier to say without all the bashing that made up the bulk of that article? Shame you don't actually seem to show much respect for people who like Minecraft. Between that satirical conversation and your claim in the last paragraph, I'd say that makes you a hypocrite.

5. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

I don't really like Minecraft either. It irks me that it gets so much attention and that I can't go a day without hearing about it, and yes, people constantly ask me to play too, and I have to explain to them that I just don't find it that much fun. I have to admit that there are a lot of cool things to do with it, and I think that it's great that people are having fun while creating things, but... I need more than that. If I want to create, I'll draw, or write a song, or come up with a new article. It seems a bit more productive to me, and more engaging.

That said, anyone is entitled to do what they think is fun, and I hold no grudge against those that do just that. It's when it starts to impinge upon me that I begin to feel annoyed.

6. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Paul, you is trolling.

7. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

Minecraft was boring to me several months ago so I decided to wait until more features were implemented, namely pvp. I must say, it's quite fun now :).

8. Blassster

Blassster What's a Dremel?

I was apprehensive at first. If you stop analyzing its existence and just go in and play it, you'd probably realize that there's some fun to be had. I've only played multiplayer so far, though. Just borrow a buddy's login to test it, if buying an unfinished game is a barrier.

9. Nexxo

It's a sandbox. People end up doing unexpectedly new fun things with sandboxes. Give it time.

It would be cool if future iterations allow people to create their own lifeforms to roam the place. Then we'll see some interestingly crazy **** happening.

10. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

The problem is that Minecraft has become the newest "lol look at me iz indie" thing among PC Gamers, who seem to think that playing the game elevates them another level up the elite ladder. Wrong.

I may have some irrational annoyance that the bit-tech minecraft thread gets a post every 10 minutes when we could be discussing better games, but I don't think thats really it. The game is simply fairly boring imo, in comparison to the vast array of other games I could be playing.

The best part is that Notch has owned you all to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Gogo Notch.

P.S. I hope that people don't get the impression that I'm anti PC gaming, as I'm an avid PC player myself. What I do depise, however, is the pure elitism that so many of said PC gamers display, especially towards console gamers. Its true that Xbox Live is filled with mouth breathers, but all gamers are living out virtual lives within virtual worlds to some extent or another. Stop it.

11. kameltoemunch

kameltoemunch What's a Dremel?

Also, this:

"And to complain about the graphics? Please. If you remember 8-bit you weren't there. Every game ever worth playing was programmed in the 80's. Everything since is just derivative."

is crap. More elitist ********, and unfortunately for Mr. Old School, gamer its completely and absolutely wrong. The best advancements in gaming have taken place over the last 10 years. I would rather play STALKER than Space Invaders any day of any week ever. Games in the 80's were bad, stop trying to pretend the art was perfected and lost 20 years ago.

12. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

"Do not feed the trolls"

Exploration and creativity can be rewards in themselves, and do not need high-score tables.

Notch was a one man (now small) indie dev team, implementing what they think is fun as they go along. A whole bunch of people love it. Good luck to all of them.

13. Nexxo

Undoubtedly today's games often look a lot prettier, but I'd dispute that this necessarily makes them more playable. Stalker is undeniably a decent game, but basically Doom or Quake prettied up, and I have just as much fun playing those. Stalker adds nothing new to the gameplay.

The technology has made many things possible, but few of them are new ideas as such. Ironically a lot if the new ideas come from the console industry: Nintendo's motion control system; Sony's EyeToy.

14. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

First reaction "Oh ffs not Minecraft again". Seeing what the story is about made me happy again.

I don't get it, I don't want to get it and I just want it to go away so I don't get force-fed any Minecraft ever again.

15. zpikez

zpikez mod-pirate

has everyone forgotten garrys mod or something? half life 2 graphics contraptions that do things and awesome building capabilities and physics... and it costs around about the same as minecraft

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I love how whenever something different comes out and people end up liking it, everyone else jumps on the "i don't participate in this increasingly popular thing so i'll just get mad at its community for not doing the things that i prefer doing instead" bandwagon.

Seriously, why you so mad? Just leave us to it and move on with your life. Everyone's happy then.

17. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I wouldn't have any problems if I didn't have to hear about the game all the time. I don't mind a lot of things, but try to stuff them down my throat and you will get a response.

18. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

If something becomes popular in your community, sure, you'll inevitably hear about it. But why not just ignore it like everything else you're not interrested in?

I'm an entrenched Nvidia user due to my bad experiences with ATi but you don't see me complaining that bit-tech discusses ATi cards a lot.

19. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVU6FAt2Viw

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Tags: Add Tags