1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Fan help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Grimmjsb, 27 Nov 2010.

1. Grimmjsb

Grimmjsb What's a Dremel?

Bought a few new fans for my build. The blue Aerocool sharks. My hope is to rewire the leds to a independent power source and switch. i want something similar to the acryan fans. So i emailed Aerocool technical support. I asked about the power source and if the leds were in parallel or series to the fan, expressing my intention to separate and reroute the leds.

they replied,
    Thank you for purchasing Aerocool's Shark fans.
    The LEDs and the fan motor shares the same power source and can not be separated.
    I am sorry that we can not release the design details as this is the factory's know-how.

I'm laughing at this point because he didn't seem to answer my question or did he ?:duh:
    He did say that they couldn't be disconnected because there with the same power source. But he didn't go far as to say if its series or parallel. I wasn't expecting a diagram though it would have been nice.

Can anyone help me out here? Is it a hopeless venture or is there a way to do this.
    Any help on rewiring a fan's leds would be awesome. Also I'm looking to make a hub that the lights can go back to, that i can simply switch the fan leds and case light on and off

2. asura

asura jack of all trades

No, he didn't answer your question. He (not so) neatly side stepped and gave you some guff.

Regardless of series/parallel you'll almost certainly need some soldering.

If you disassemble your fan and take a decent/high quality photograph of the pcb, it's possible/likely someone here will be able to help. I'm thinking specificity of Cpn Pedro...

3. Tealc

Tealc What's a Dremel?

Normally LED fans are wired so that each LED get's it's own resistor. The resistors are generally mounted on the PCB and share a common circuit with the fan. So when you slow a fan the LEDs dim too.

[​IMG]

Here's a Coolermaster LED fan showing the way the wiring works. Each LED receives a 511 ohm resistor to drop the voltage the LED sees.

I found it easier to do away with the internal circuit and build my own around the fan. Click the link in my sig for a slightly more elaborate mod of a fan which has the LEDs fed by a separate power feed and switch.

vmast3r and mvagusta like this.
  4. vmast3r

vmast3r What's a Dremel?

That's one nice mod you've got there with the LEDs. I have a few spare fans, and a ton of spare red LEDs... I think I know what I'm doing with them now, thanks for the idea.