1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

haha thanks. Space invaders was a new one, have to add that to the list along with tetris, lego, and periodic table:thumb:

2. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Space invaders was also my first thought.

Love your work :thumb:

3. devilxc

devilxc Biding my time...

Gnu, love your work. Looks like another great build. I've always wanted to build a case linking the CPU to large passive heatsinks.

I'll be following this on closely!

4. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Haha that is pretty damn close, never thought of that :) Thanks a lot:thumb:

Thanks, glad you like it. Maybe you should build one;)

And a small progress update: Yesterday I started building the "cpu to heatpipe block" or whatever it's called. Don't know the right term since both "cpu cooler" and "block" feels wrong wen dealing with heatpipes :) Anyway.. I encountered some errors in the workshop and the piece is not fully done yet. Hoepfully I can get some time off during the weekend to finish it.
    Cee ya

5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I ve been busy this weekend building the cpu to heatpipe thingy. There is a lot of pics so I won't take time to comment each of them. Basically some manufacturing pics and some of the finished piece. Feel free to ask if something is not clear.

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here Im milling the 6mm O groves for the heatpipes. They are to deep to be able to drill so I milled them with a ball nose cutter.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

Here is the finished bottom piece. The nuts are from the original cooler and they are not normal nuts. It's like a thread changer that changes the M4 threads on the cooler to fit the special screws with springs that will screw it onto the motherboard. The nuts also act like a spacer between cooler and motherboard. The nuts are not fully tightened yet because they will be removed later on. The round slot you see in the picture below is to allow room for one of the capasitors on the motherboard. The reason for one piece of the bottom is higer is because the cpu and gpu is not at the same level. There is still some cleaning up like wetsanding and polishing to do but you get the idea.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

If you were wondering the lid have had some sanding done to it
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

In the end I noticed that the holes/grooves are 6mm in one direction and 5,8mm in another. I don't see how this could have happened since I had a 6mm ball nose mill and each slot is 3mm deep. Therefore it should be 6mm wide. I'll have to sort it out next time since the heatpipes are 6mm and won't fit at the moment.
    Hope you like it.

6. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Holy crap Gnu, that's terrific. Very nice machining. :thumb:

7. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

that looks fantastic. it looks like a part designed to handle a heavy load...like part of a tank or submarine or something.

one bit of criticism, would you not get better performance if the heatpipes were much, much closer to the base the the block? there seems an excessive amount of metal that the heat has to transfer through before it reaches the pipes.

8. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks mate :thumb:

Thanks, yeah it is kind of heavy :). Thanks for your thoughts as well. The reason for why it is so thick is that there are some capasitors (or whatever it is) in the way on the motherboard. You can se them to the left in this pic (silver/red and black)

[​IMG]

I was planing to bend the pipes down but assumed that the bend would probably need to be pretty big not to destroy the pipe. I assumed that the pipes would then end upp furter away from the cpu because of the bend and I would also have less surface of the heatpipes connected to the alu. However it is possible that I will mill down the bottom some more when it's all test fitted and I know for shure how much space I have left.

9. dgurion

dgurion What's a Dremel?

If you are going to try bending the heat pipes.. A break line bender will most likely work.. They are around the same diameter.

10. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah ive seen those and will keep that in mind if I decide to bend the pipes. Thanks

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

:jawdrop:

'nuff sed.

12. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Then Ill answer you with this:
    :clap:

13. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Okay, here we go again.
    I have fabricated some more of the parts for the heatsink. Yet again I didn't bother to post pics of how they were made as it's exactly the same process as the previous ones.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

This next piece is made a bit different from the previous ones and this is the getho method I used to solve the problem of the piece being to unstable when milling. A bigger block of steel on the backside and som clamps to hold it steady, worked really good without a lot of vibrations.
    [​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)

[​IMG]
    (CLICK TO ZOOM)
    If you havn't already figured out what this project is all about then this lats pic will probably make the guessing a lot easier :) There is still some more parts to fabricate but here you can se the basic shape of the finished heatsink.
    Btw I really need to build myself a better photo studio since I have always a problem getting the lighting right with all the shadows and crap.

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I'm loving this already! :) Frikkin awesome idea with the design of the blocks! :rock:

15. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

If you even like my stuff 1/10 of how much I love what you have done, then I'm honoured.
    Thanks a lot:thumb:

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Welcome to modding 101. First lesson; You can't bend pre-formed heatpipes. They would fracture and burst. Even if you heated them enough to bend them safely, they'd no longer be heatpipes, they'd be plain copper pipes.

On topic: I love it, plain and simple! Your machining is awesome and the whole concept is original and bold. I'm sub'd :thumb:

17. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

Great milling skills Gnu! Wish i had access to a mill again (although definatly broke the last one I used!)

18. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Yeah the heatpipes Im using are pretty much pushed to the limit even by the manufacturer. The pipes are crumpled on the inside of each bend and I wouldn't dare to change those bends the sligthest as im pretty shure they would brake as you say. Luckly I won't need to either. However Im pretty shure the Straight parts are bendable to some extent. Thanks for pointing that out and l'm glad you like the concept of my project :)

Thanks for commenting my milling skills since I still feel like a newb when amongst the others in the workshop. I'm practising though and there is a lot to lern. Sorry to hear you broke and lost the mill, don't know if I dare to ask what happened :)

19. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

L.O.V.E. it. I can't wait to see where you take this one.

20. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks, nice to hear the CNC God is watching.:thumb: