1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya water-cooled case design thread - Stage 1 - Complete - see Stage 2 thread

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Combatus, 1 Nov 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

It took 2.5 hours to render 6 seconds at 24 FPS. Like I said its only a test so I didn't want to wait until tomorrow to see the results.

2. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

You missed a few degrees of rotation there ;P

3. Roboduck

Not to worry the full 360 is on its way and should be done in about 30 hours.

4. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

@ Razer2007

At that resolution and the quality settings... I would guess something like this:

30 sec to 1 min per frame
    10 to 20 frames per second
    6 seconds
    so between 30 minutes and one hour
    But that's just a guess based on the ones I've tried with C4D.

Ooops... I guess I was too late and too short on my estimate.

5. geort45

geort45 What's a Dremel?

30 hrs? It's 12.5 mins per frame (if doing 6secs @24fps), what are you using to render? Seems inefficient as I guess the renderer it's calculating the lightning every frame, which is a waste of time since the scene is static :/

6. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

Ok... I had to do it...
    This one is very crude and quick... It only took 10 minutes for 96 frames.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I agree. I thought this was a case design competition, not a graphic design contest.

8. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

anybody trying animation rendering, and using V-ray, in the GI settings, change the cache to incremental, this speeds up rendering as its not rebuilding the lighting for each frame, just adding to the existing information

9. Razer2007

Razer2007 Building Proxima

Yeah it might be unfair, but the judging will be on design only, not rendering skills.

10. ĿªЪяεġø™

ĿªЪяεġø™ Rabbit Modder !

You can't assume that , 'cause the voting will be made by people and not a selected judge .

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

It would be a fair contest, if we took more aspects into consideration then only design, like retail-price for example, built-quality or ease of use. Everything you'd expect from a good case-review basically.

The question in the votings should be:
    "Would you buy this case for watercooling, if it costs X amount of money?"

The question as I read it currently however is:
    "Which design you like the best?"

As people will judge only about a few pictures of a case posted and a general idea for watercooling behind it, high polished renders with alot of bling-bling are most likely going to make the race, if their design isn't half bad.

12. Roboduck

It will be rendering at 1280x720 and the full 360 degrees will take 12 seconds (at 24fps). I will also be rendering on higher settings. It crashed last night so Ill have to start over tonight.

13. Razer2007

I dunno!!!

14. Roboduck

I agree with you both somewhat. I think that there are enough of the members here that know what to look at in a case that it shouldn't come down to who has the best rendering. But being humans we are prone to making rash decisions.

I do think that a re framing of the contest question to include design factors would be a good idea.

15. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

90% of voters are really not interested in the actual question. People vote for pretty looking renders, their friends, and whatever wrong reason you might think of.

The pretty pictures are not the problem though. his contest is still supposed to be in the CONCEPT stage. I ask this with great respect Roboduck, but what the hell are you going to be doing in the next stages? You are pretty much finished. Maybe you can re-draw the sidepanels or something, but c'mon! :wallbash:

16. Roboduck

No offense taken but no way am I close to being finished. I work at a machine shop and if I handed the models I have now to a machinist they would just laugh at me :D. I have the concept layout done but I still need to model everything the way it will be manufactured. There are lots of fasteners, joints, bends, wiring, ect. to be added. All of these thing will present their own challenges and will take a while to sort out. I haven't even converted most of my panels to sheet metal yet. The next stage is taking the concept and figuring out the details of how it will be manufactured.

Trust me there is still a lot of work to do to go from what I have now to a finished manufacture ready product.

PS: Im sure we will find a way to keep things fair with the voting. Maybe we could ban renderings? Just use screenshots of the un-rendered models like the sketchup contests?

Last edited: 30 Nov 2010
  17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

As I said earlier. Second stage is there to think about exactly these things like sidepanel-windows, light etc... The general concept should be pretty much finalized at this point and after one month into the game.

My basics took me a week, with another week to improve the concept, of which I did a few renders aswell.

Additionally, in a crowded thread like this, you need to stand out to get heard of, so doing a few renders was a smart move to do imho.

For the second and third stage there should be seperate threads for each case-concept, so that everyone has it's own platform to discuss his/her designs.

18. Razer2007

... you all are correct... :D

19. Demolisher

Demolisher Bear building modder

Instead of using renders, i took the side step.
    Just hand draw your concept. It give's a nice look and feel to it. I think it is better for a concept to be hand drawn, then having a render done. But he, that is just me.... let's see what the voters have to say about that :)

Comming to notice... Am I in the contest now, or are there still problems? I wasn't on the list, and I didn't see an update yet.....

Last edited: 30 Nov 2010
  20. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

i just hope that at some point during this contest, designers and Engineers from Phoyba provide feedback. since they're the ones that will be actually manufacturing this case, they will be able to spot design flaws from miles away.

In an ideal world, once the entries have been whittled down to a shortlist, i would like the phoyba boys to go about converting the concepts into a proper design/rendering. this then evens up the playing field between people that know 3d modeling and those who don't. let phoyba do the 3d rendering, with PM feedback back and forth from phoyba and the case designer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.