1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equipment Light Tent Wise Purchase?

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Speed, 27 Nov 2010.

1. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Hi Guys,

As it stands the best place for me to take photos of computer parts I'm reviewing is the loft due to the space up there. It is partly converted but features 4 large fluorescent tubes which don't produce great light for photography, even with the white balance settings on my 400D.

So I was thinking of getting a Light Tent to defuse the light and maybe in the future some proper lamps for it.

Those who have a Light Tent, what are you experiences? Was it a good purchase or a waste of money?

Thanks,

Mark

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Light tents are never a waste of money. Also you can build one or make one for very little money. Use tungsten bulbs and have at it. Also Manual WB is your very best friend. Might want to look into a expodisc or a cheap alternative - like a DIY version (even for a light tent too I suppose). :)

3. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you're buying.. try these guys. Light tents are very good, and cheap. The link will take you to their lighting page however, just in case you're interested. They make a range of continuous lighting that uses daylight balanced CFLs, and they're perfect. We use them at college. Just leave the camera on auto WB and it's completely perfect.

Lighting isn't cheap.... but their tents are.

4. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Thanks for the info and advice guys!

Strangely that was the site I found when googling for light tents. They do seem a bit expensive compared to eBay but the 120cm one seems well priced. Hmm...

5. St3v30

St3v30 What's a Dremel?

I use big bulbs inside those metal cone looking things you can get at wal mart for really cheap. then take 1 or 2 apple bags (those white ones) and pull them over the cone to diffuse the light. You just have to make sure you pull the bags over tight enough so the light doesn't melt them. :p really cheap and effective. To me anyway. :)