1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Needsome help about (very) old harware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fabou, 1 Dec 2010.

1. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Hi there
    yesterday i found on old screen and an old PC thrown in the street. Horrible isn't it.
    As a geek I immediately adopted it. The screen is now used for a dual screen setup (640*480 is not awesome but it is funny). But the computer is giving me more problem.
    It's an old Packard bell (no usb nor optical drive, just a serial a parallel and two PS/2 port for mouse and keyboard, there also is a floppy drive). This hardware is older than the time I used to play with computer and I am not able to deal with it.
    Weirdly the power button goes to the PSU, second weird thing there is no hdd and I am not even sure there is place for one and lastly there is no ram.
    I found some old ram and tried to boot it. The PSU won't start if the CPU is in, so I found no way to actually start if for real. So I decided to demount it for my old hardware thing collection (hence the old adapted ram stick). Therefore my question is is there any fellow hardware passionate that would me to date spec this PC.
    A few data on the CPU:
    A little heatsink is fixed on it( not on the mobo directly on the CPU)http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/486_OverDrive kinda like this one just a little bit bigger and with no plate on it.
    And on the back is written
    8415897FAC
    MALAY
    FH 433
    Intel 89 92

I think 433 is a frequencies and 89 92 some date but I am not sure.
    So thanks to anyone willing to give me information an this PC

2. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Well if the power buton goes direct to the psu then its an AT PSU not ATX. That would put it pre 2000 and probably pre 1995

If you can get the heatsink off the cpu then it should say exactly which cpu it is.

The previous owners probably got rid of the hard drive for security. Either that or it ran from old floppy disks.

sounds like its probably pre pentium, which means you probably have more processing power in your washing machine.

3. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

Nah I can't take of the heatsink it seem to be built in. I was considering the fact they got ride of the hard drive but it would be weird that they remounted the whole PC for throwing it after. Plus I'm not sure where it would be mouted in the case as I saw no place fr it.
    Anyway I was just trying to put a name on the CPU, bu it seem to get harder as they get older.

4. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Have you been loitering outside my house?

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Sounds like a 486 33MHz to me

6. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

@ bdigital do you live in villebon?
    @Saspro seem very credible to me thank for your help.

7. Phoenixlight

Phoenixlight What's a Dremel?

It's terrible how bad some people are, computers need to be disposed of properly.

8. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

@ Phoenixlight
    If you are talking about waste recovery, don't worry, it's a special day in my city (first Wednesday of every month) where people are allowed to put annoying waste and a truck goes to take them they are then tried and there is a special part for electronic and stuff.

9. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

use it for folding :D

10. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?