1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Gran Turismo 5 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Nov 2010.

1. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

From the quick play i've jad seems a pretty solid game but does beg the question what they've been doing that it took this long to come out. It's good but not six years in development good.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The more I play it the more I agree. The AI is currently the thing ruining my play, it's totally retarded. It's not been altered since GT2 and that's wrong.

3. XmainecoonX

XmainecoonX CPU Cooler Clogger

I've got more than a few hundred hours in both GT3 and GT4, and about 30 seconds was all I could stand of GT5's Prologue... I have around 200hrs in FM3 as well though.

For me, I dearly hope GT5 bothers to heed realistic engine dyno curves, as that defines a lot of the personality of the car and how much traction is available at any given time. The review and above comments aren't inspiring that I'll get what I seek. All I can say is not every motor is a Celica engine, and they all don't act like it either... amen GT3 and 4. But I'll try it anyway for the sake of trying.

That much said against GT series, I seriously miss rally racing and do lament FM3 for not including it despite having all the juiciest weapons (cars) against dirt and tuning ranges to make it happen. I'd love to seen rain, snow and dirt in Forza.

The use of the older models in GT5 though... wtf... no, that's not right at all for a game that took this long to make; more over when FM3's Turn 10 dev team is CONSTANTLY cranking out new cars in mass... none being half a** physics wise or in any way sub par in model quality.

Its the little things about FM3 that make it great.. Just like the little things about the older GT games made them great, but its 2010 now, nearly 2011 and only one game is bringing new models to the board with all the little things included.

Oh, is that silly little AI issue of suddenly letting off the gas after the first lap to let you win still in the game?

4. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Granted it's not a real Sim, but the "sim mode" is pretty good I think. Its a significant step up from GRID/DIRT 2 etc. If you say GT5 is better physics-wise, fine, but as you may have guessed from my previous post I require an actual game bolted on for me to want to play any racing/driving title. Races have to be challenging and rewards have to be interesting without upsetting the challenge when the next race comes around.

5. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Race against other players!

Racing against the AI is only there to make money and to buy cars and rightfully so.
    The AI is good enough to give you some headaches sometimes in B-Spec, where you're managing one of those AI drivers. It's nailbiting-time from time to time, if your driver magaes to last through the last lap or not.

I'm at level 23 and have only 4 races left to go in the extreme-series and the frikkin historic race-cars in expert and after that it's time for the endurance-races... 12/24hours, 1000 miles etc...
    B-Spec is at level 17 currently and it took quiet some time to get there... 2 times longer then A-Spec I'd say.
    OH... and B-Spec awards you with some of the cars you need to go through A-Spec!
    For completing Pro-series in B-Spec you'll be awarded with a nice Pagani Zonda 9R you'll need to do the All-Stars-trophy in the expert-series as you don't want to save up 5 Million credits first to buy a competitive car.
    And you'll get some other goodies like a AC Cobra 427 and so on. You don't get these cars as a reward in A-Spec!

OH... and has anyone of you actually took any note of the track-builder? That's a totally awesome feature aswell, which no other racing sim to this date (track-mania doesn't count as sim!) had ever integrated.
    But yeah, keep on moaning about the 5-6 years it took PG to do all this stuff you've never seen or noticed so far.

Judging this game only based on graphics, sound or bad AI in singleplayer is absolutely laughable, as that's only some 30% of the whole game actually. Some people will never understand this.
    And the graphics are actually nice in spectator-cam as is the sound, especially in B-Spec where you're not driving yourself and can watch every other car in the current race too.
    When you're driving yourself you're not looking at shiney graphics, but you keep hammering the pedal to the medal and try to stay focused on the breaking-points.

I'll sure have big fun for the next year to come with this game and once PG have sorted their servers for online-racing I'll have even more fun, while you still keep bitching about useless stuff like jaggy shadows or washed out background-images :D

6. ICISAZEL

ICISAZEL What's a Dremel?

I agree TOCA 1 was amazing and TOCA 2 took that and evolved it, never before have i felt so on edge in a racing game, looking for stray deviations in the track that might make me spin out. These days it seems are dead and its a sad state of affairs that we live in presently. Games that require any manner of extreme effort to succeed at are mostly dead. RIP hardcore games sob sob... I also think that metropolis street racer had perhaps a better balance of style and substance. This later became diluted in the project gotham series of games that diluted its purity. forcing a stricture where a more free form approach seemed to work better.

I remember the joyous days i had in my bedroom with gran turismo 1 and then 2. i personally did not rate 4 that much at all. nor did i 3. I do own the mighty 5 and after the laughingly lengthy install i was surprised to see little snippetts telling me it was installing when selecting certain menus or options. But id agree it is a nice game to play

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

One of the most important features I'd hope they implement but isn't mentioned anywhere...

Can you save mid-race?

8. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Not if previous GT games are anything to go by. I wonder if the PS3 Slim can cope with 24 hours of Nurburgring, played over several days - the PS2 Slim couldn't.

9. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

can't comment on GT5 and 24hrs Nurburgring (haven't had time to try it yet) but I played GT5 prologue on PS3 Slim for 30hrs in a row :D - no problems

10. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

Its a great game when you are driving.

The interface is pants, loading times are annoying and the Top Gear challenges are infuriating, one tiny little jolt and your disqualified. grrrr

I think this review is spot on, i'd give GT5 7.5/10 with work on interface and loading times patch a priority.

11. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

The only way I could do the 24hr Nurburgring on GT4 was by doing an hour at a time, maybe 4 hours in a day and leaving the machine on for 6 days in a row. I was told by people that had the PS2 Slim version that their machines overheated after a couple of days being constantly on.

12. DoctorBeat

DoctorBeat What's a Dremel?

Move on people, nothing to see here. It's just a good game, overhyped to the dead. PS3 has GT5, XBox has Forza, witch one with his own strengths. I've played it for a couple hours on a friends house, and i must say that , regarding pure driving simulation and physics, it has the same arcade feeling (like the previous GT games), when you compare it to rfactor, live for speed and GTR.
    Having said that, what's left is a pretty game with some graphical glitches, awful sounds (always the same sound but pitched higher or lower) a laughable online component, but a huge load of cars and tracks some of them interesting to drive.

13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Turn off the driving-aids and then come again to talk about the physics...

14. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

You have zero clue what you are talking about........................................

15. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

The physics in Gt5 are hardly arcade, the game is quite challenging and hardly arcade, yes, i played GTr and rfactor............. Maybe turn off some aids and get a wheel.

16. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

that's what i've said few times :) aids off + wheel and there you go

i can't compare forza and gt5 because last forza i played was second one but gt5 definitely becomes challenging with all aids off - and that's the way I prefer to play it

17. kempez

kempez modding again!

I own both Forza 3 and GT5 and for me, GT's just got that extra edge to it that it's always had. Forza is great fun, but it's very arcady.

For those complaining about the difficulty: get a wheel, turn off the driver aids and drive in cars that compare to the opposition.

One notable testing license test was S-4 where you drive a Ferrari F330 P4 against other Le Mans cars of the era. It's damn difficult and hugely frustrating (you can't bump into the others etc). I was in 1st until the last corner one try, touched a the wall (literally feather-light touch) and got DQ'd. Gave up and settled for bronze in the end :(

Polyphony need to get their act together and get some patches out, very disappointing that the game was released with so many dodgy parts to it, but in the end: it's GT and for me it's awesome.

18. james-milligan

james-milligan Minimodder

This game looks slightly dissapointing considering the long wait but I will still be getting it as I want a racing game and I think this is the best one out there at the moment!

19. DoctorBeat

DoctorBeat What's a Dremel?

I've played GT5 with both a g25 and a driving force GT, just to see the difference, I've never played it with the ps3 controller. and while the driving is more realistic than most of the games, it doesn't compare to the dedicated driving simulators I've mentioned above (you are fooling yourself if you think otherwise).
    The sense of speed isn't quite there, the game is too forgiving with mistakes you make, the track doesn't have the bumps that a real track would have, or they don't affect the driving as you wold expect when you are driving at high speeds. it's kinda difficult to know when your car is reaching the limits, because the game doesn't give you much input at that.
    It's just my opinion.

20. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

nope, sorry, i should explain myself better - i meant that GT5 is much better, more realistic, with a wheel and all aids off.

how do you find it when you compare driving force gt (that's what i have) and g25 - you've got clutch, metal pedals and H-shift on top. I've never tried g25/g27 that's why i'm asking if there's huge difference or not - you know, xmas is coming :D

Tags: Add Tags