1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 Oh, how the mighty have fallen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by bloodcar, 23 Jul 2009.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Can't really comment on either one, not having owned them myself. What interests me in this thread is the lacklustre impression the PS3 gives - certainly glad I resisted there.

What's more interesting to me is the comments from those on their 3rd, 7th x360 etc. From very early days the 360 was renowned for the rrod probs, and I know Microsoft extended warranties so must have taken a fair hit. But it certainly doesn't seem uncommon that people will have bought (i.e. paid for) at least 2 x 360s this generation.

That says three things to me:

- Microsoft have priced their console quite well
    - Microsoft have ensured their console's popularity by an extensive range of titles and online play
    - Microsoft may have little incentive to ensure any 'next' generation console is built to last. The number of different models and SKUs they've released is verging on ridiculous. I guess that might help in the piracy fight as they can keep revising their security features, but it will certainly put me off even considering purchasing a 720 until the price has dropped considerably from its inevitable premium upon release. It's a shame cos I was so impressed with the original xbox for its quality and longevity and was sure I would buy a 360, but never have due to Microsoft's pricing structure on peripherals like wireless support etc. and the susceptibility to failures of the hardware.

2. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Wow man, you had a lot of bad luck.
    I've owned a ps1, ps2 and 360.
    I just after selling the 360 though as i never use it.
    I am really thinking of buying a PS3 though, for one reason only. GT5 :D

3. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

My PS2 from 2003/2004 ish still works perfectly my dad sometimes uses it for GT4 and tiger woods games. My PS1 from 2000 died in 07 after the bit tht holds the disk in shattered it too lots of tiny pieces not that it got much use.

To me it seems to be the latest gen of consoles that have been the let down. Back through the N64, PSone and PS2 days I only heard of one or two people who had consoles fail on them. Now every single 360 owner i know has had at least one RROD and about 1/5th of PS3 owners had the yellow light where the blu-ray laser stops working.

4. kornedbeefy

kornedbeefy What's a Dremel?

I think its more to do with Microsoft stealing PC gaming hardware/gaming ideas, getting PC game developers onboard and bringing PC gaming to the masses via dedicated gaming PCs aka XBOX. This IMHO is why the XBox is popular and people are willing to keep buying them over and over. Bascially PC gaming :rock:. However they only brought a part of it. They left the best part out, keyboard/mouse, LAN play and dedicated servers. They injected crap, pay for online play and DLC. :grr:

So console gamers enjoying FPS, Oblivion, etc as a PC gamer I say your welcome.

5. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

I swear by the name of the Emperor, those who dabble in the Dark God's power of resurrecting old posts... will recieve the Emperor's will of a .75 calibre high explosion bolt round to the skull.

6. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Ive got an xbox & PS3 Slim. I find that i game mostly on the PC.

Of the two consoles the xbox has to win it, becuase i find the xbox live content just.....better, than PSN.

Im lucky in that i have had no problems with my xbox in over 3 years, and the PS3 is also fine although only a year old.

The PS3 mainly gets used for Blu-ray and GT5 now.

7. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

Looked at getting a PS3 - only for the Blu-Ray though, but decided against it.

Only ever owned 4 consoles - Megadrive, SNES, N64 & Wii - The PC has been my choice for gaming for ages.

8. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

Had a silver original PS2 and the disc drive died eventually so I got a slim black one and it's worked perfectly to this day.

Well, I say that, it's been gathering dust most of the time for the past five years as I got into PC gaming.

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

PS3 was marketed and designed pretty heavily as a home entertainment device, not just a gaming console. It excels at this role. One roommate of mine has his TV and PS3 in the living room so we can wirelessly stream music and video from our PCs in an easy and low clutter environment. For $200 it's already made itself worth it as an HTPC which plays blu-rays. Add to that the game console side and it becomes an amazing device.

I have a PS3 of my own hooked up to one of my PC monitors and use it for playing all the games that are either better on a console (AC2, plays well with a controller, PC has terrible DRM) or are PS3 exclusives. Why get it rather than a 360? There are a couple exclusives I enjoy such as Demon's Souls and none of the 360 exclusives interest me. The controllers also are a huge factor. The PS1 got it right and I'm glad it's hardly changed since. The 360 one still feels big for my hands, the rounded letter buttons don't feel right, and the placement of the D-pad and left joystick bothers me.

But that's just me!

10. Cosmot

Cosmot What's a Dremel?

I want to buy one, houw much?where? thank you.:)

11. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

I have a 360 and have had a PS3 since UK launch. I play a lot more on the 360 as the exclusives on the PS3 haven't blown me away. If a game launches multi-platform then I tend to buy it on the 360 (unless it's an FPS then I buy for the PC). One of the things is that I have a more active friends list on XBL - I have found PSN a bit more unfriendly? I think that because the 360 comes with a headset included there tend to be more people to talk to?

The PS3 tends to get used more as a Blu-Ray player now that HDDVD has gone the way of Betamax!

It's a shame really as I was very excited about the PS3 before launch, but I personally don't feel that it has been done justice yet.

I am however putting a lot of hours into GT5 and in a few weeks I will get a logitech wheel for the PS3 - maybe this is the start of me using it more.