1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Devolo announces IEEE 1901 range

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Wi-fi will never be redundant because while it's much slower than ethernet most people don't network in the home so their 54Mbps wireless G is nowhere near saturated. Only use of ethernet is in homes that network, companies and everywhere else where networking is a part of life.

3. shanky887614

shanky887614 What's a Dremel?

storm, a lot of people actually have there own data servers which they dont want to be broadcasting to there naboirs and thats who will use this

4. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

How do you know they're not able to sniff the traffic anyway? Have you been around there and tested? ;)

One more reason why you should be using the included encryption, as you should with Wi-Fi... Oh wait, what was your point again?

What's great about HomePlug is you can locate a server (which may well be noisier than you'd like) away from the world, with just a single power socket for power AND data. Or just provide a data bridge without permanent cabling or unsightly cables -- the WAF positives are high.

And the closer the standard gets to Gigabit Ethernet, the better. Sadly I'll likely be disappointed again in real-world tests, but there.

5. Farting Bob

Farting Bob What's a Dremel?

He said most people dont do networking computer to computer in their homes. That is defintiely true still. Sure a number of people do home networks but they are still definitely in the minority, and with laptops being so popular wireless is still the de-facto standard in the home.

6. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

I'm interested to know what use these are to freesat boxes.

7. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

A friend of mine uses one of their older models and they do seem pretty reliable, but the throughput isn't up to much. The main problem for me with these things though is the need to plug them directly into a wall socket, not a multi-socket adapter - I don't have nearly enough sockets to dedicate one to a single device like this.

8. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

get one that has an socket on it (plug your cord into it)

9. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Heh I didn't know that. I have been running one on a multi plug adaptor for a couple of years now without any issues.

10. TSR2

TSR2 What's a Dremel?

I don't think you get very good results on adaptors that remove interference from the AC signal, as you lose the data signal. (although I have never used powerline networking)
    /reveals ignorance of electronics

11. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Any kind of filtering could potentially have an impact, but in general, the cheaper the extension socket the better it's likely to be for HomePlug. 'Just wires' can't be much worse than plugging it into the wall - unless, of course, you're sharing that socket with a very "noisy" piece of equipment.

12. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

Work great for me (200mbps homeplug2.0 types), I'm continususly sharing files between pc's and my neighbours seem intent on buying Wifi routers that stomp on as many channels as possible (looking at you wireless N 2.4ghz channel leeching spec). Almost as good as having an ethernet hooked up which I can't do.

13. Glix

Glix Left Thumb Stick in the mud.

It's the surge protection that removes the signal ;)

14. bobwya

bobwya Custom PC Migrant

Like folks have said powerline networking is OK with cheap multi-way mains adapters (with no filtering).

But I did watch a ZDNet Dialogue Box test with an older model where the throughput dropping massively if you plugged noisy stuff into your mains (vacuum cleaner, hair-dryer, etc.) I'll stick with (real) Gb ethernet personally...

15. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

The freesat branding is a gimmick because all of them support freesat boxes with ethernet ports. On my freesat box I can get BBC iPlayer although it's decidedly flakey unless I view it at rediculously low resolutions. Which is why I have a media PC next to it and that plays iPlayer HD fine...

16. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

It's plugged into a Belkin 6 way adaptor (with surge protection). I must have phantom plugs I reckon.

17. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

i've got pair of older model and they're not plugged directly - no point for me as it is only to get internet up to my room where it's connected to switch, so my ps3/lappie/tv talk between themselves at 100Mb (in theory) and my broadband is crappy 9Mb anyway so no problem. but when i did test the throughput, i was getting 65Mb from box to box, so more than enough for internet.

18. hexx

hexx What's a Dremel?

but they are sensitive to heavy home appliances (washing machine, freezer and so on). I can see drop of between 5-10Mb when washing machine is on. it's big house, 5 rooms way too many gadgets but still more than enough for my needs

Tags: Add Tags