1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware bit-tech's Christmas Wishlist

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 6 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Paul, mate, I don't know who you spoke to about HDTVs and BluRay players, but they were talking a complete load of hogswash (either that or you heard them wrong). Think about it: why would the BluRay player AND the TV both be upscaling? If the BluRay player upscales, it'll be outputting an HD signal, so there's no need for the TV to upscale. It's never a good idea to let the TV upscale, because most TV's idea of upscaling is the basic "stretch to fit" method. The player will contain more sensible scaling hardware that takes into account things like motion, brightness etc.

So, do me a favour and walk over to whoever gave you advice and give them a slap round the head from me? Ta :D

As for my Christmas wishlist, I'm sad to say that I really don't have one. I'm really struggling coming up with ideas for what my family can get me, and it's annoying the crap out of everyone!

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

If I could pick one thing right now it would be either a 128GB SSD or GTX460. Yet to take the plunge in spending more than 100£ on a GFX card.

Most expensive i've spent money on was a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP which ran Half-Life like a trooper. (£98.99 special release offer)

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think more PC exclusive is what all true PC gamer wants.

Dell U2711 is definitely worth every penny, even when it's at £900. it will probably be the monitor to keep for at least 10 years with its awesome colours and fantastic viewing angle. although a bit expensive to be on wishlist isn't it?

an ebook reader is also on my wishlist, ability to read vast amount of text without getting computer eyestrain is a huge advantage over tablets.

5. Shayper09

Shayper09 Swimming in Deionized.

A pair of 6970's in crossfire :)

Honestly? I would like the only two things I feel my Pc lacks - water-cooling and an SSD

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

A sound-proof room, access to a wide range of power tools and Nick Clegg!

Oh, realistic wishes?

Ok, a GTX 580.

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Great call guys!!

Last year I got a Dell 2209WA after seeing it recommended and loved the dual monitor goodness. Tempted to get another for eyefinity/nv surround but it means upgrading my GPU too and a bigger desk lol. My wish list this year is a quality racing wheel for Gran Turismo 5. Its enough to spur me to pick up grid and Rfactor on PC too to justify getting it.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

I'm planning on getting myself a couple of liters of booze. Should be enough to help imagine the rest of the merry christmas.

9. lacuna

lacuna Minimodder

Absolutely. Ditch the LG plan and get the best Pioneer player you can afford.

I would like a Sonos ZP90 and a subscription to Napster or Spotify please :)

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Nice monitor but ouch ! Thats too expensive for me.

And Harry please remember that a ***** is not just for christmas !

11. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

20Tb more space, self built NAS if need be - just want the HDs.

plskthxbi :D

12. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Whether it'll actually be a good game or not idk, but Battlefield 3 from Dice seems to meet all Harry's criteria even if it's not strictly speaking a" PC exclusive".

Dice say, it uses Frost bite 2 which is a, "built for DX11" engine, uses all DX11's feature set including Multi -threaded rendering, extensive use of compute shader, tessellation, and it offers native 64 bit support, making use of that >2GB extra memory.

According to Dice it will represent a huge leap for PC games, that will quote:"blow people away". certainly one for Bit to keep a watch on.

Last edited: 6 Dec 2010
  13. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I'd be happy if someone got me a samsung spinpoint f3 1TB drive, but my whole family is strapped for cash (new baby on one part, another part moving to aussie, and home repairs for the 3rd part).

14. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I'd like a gpu that's about £250, about as powerful as a gtx 480, and a bit less power hungry. And a waterblock.

15. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

16. mrbens

mrbens What's a Dremel?

Awww I'd settle for that itteh bitteh kitteh! :)

17. standinwave

standinwave Folding in memory of my mum

I got a Dell U2711 for £599 from aria, but I don't know if they have any left

18. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I don't need anything that a couple of million dollars couldn't buy.

As for what I really need? A good job would be great!

19. CharlO

CharlO What's a Dremel?

I want less PC elusives.

20. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

And get a new desk is exactly what I did :) I am getting 3 screen surround for Christmas. I got the desk, 3 2311H monitors (everything is setup) and now all I'm waiting on is the graphics card. Waiting for the 6970 too be released on the 13th. The wait is killing me haha! These 2 blank unused screens in front of me is torture.
    If only the 580GTX supported 3 screens from a single card. Hurry up AMD!

javaman likes this.
Tags: Add Tags