1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Best way to clean a keyboard

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by neil_b, 9 Dec 2010.

1. neil_b

neil_b Minimodder

Apart from putting it in the dishwasher (which I'm not going to do!), what's the best way of getting my Logitech Wave corded (i.e. not wireless) keyboard clean and shiny as the day it arrived (ok, maybe not 100% as good as the day it arrived but you know what I mean)?

I've shaken out the bits and pieces that have fallen between the keys, but there's a lot of dust and grime on the sides of all the keys that I can't easily get at, and undoubtedly there's other gunk lurking inside... Can anyone suggest sensible ways of cleaning the keyboard, and also if I take it apart, is it going to explode into a million pieces or are modern keyboard sensibly designed/built???

Thanks guys.

2. Bartaggio

Bartaggio Minimodder

You should be able to pop out the keys one by one, it's really annoying to do though.

3. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

prevention is the key really.

STOP fapping and eating in front of your PC lol.

4. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

I try and buy keybords that re no more than 15 dollars. Then once its really dirty, like a year down the line, I just buy another one. I aint no pro gamer, so the quality of the keyboard does not make much of a difference to me.

5. brighty22

brighty22 What's a Dremel?

6. Richy1204

Richy1204 What's a Dremel?

compressed air

7. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Compressed air and a lightly damp cloth for the keys.

8. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

waterblaster..

Actually I'm in the cheapo keyboard front - replace it once a year with a $20 dealy and send the old one to the recyclers

9. tripwired

tripwired Deploying Surprise in 3... 2...1...

Best method I've found is as follows:

First, take a good microfibre cloth (I use this E-Cloth) and dampen it with warm water.

Spray the keyboard lightly with an anti-bacterial spray such as you would use in your kitchen and give it a good wipe, taking care not to dislodge any keys. Depending on the style of keyboard, especially those with deeper keys you may also want to also use a small clean soft brush such as those used for applying shoe polish to get in between the keys.

After that the keyboard will be free of nasties but might still be dusty, so get the vacuum cleaner out, pop the soft brush attachment on and give it a gentle, low-speed couple of runs across the surface of the keyboard to finish. Seems like a faff but only takes a minute if you incorporate it into the weekly chores while you've got all the cleaning bits and bobs out anyway.