1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Latest Purchases Thread: v2.0

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 29 Oct 2007.

1. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Revomaze blue.

2. Lovah

ooh, new winter tires for the beemer and a new car battery as well, yeah, boring day.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I'm trying to get some quotes for proper winter tyres for my Mazda at the moment. There is meant to be another big freeze coming in January and it would be nice to have at least one of our cars with proper studded tyres.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

:nono: Same mistake the Transport minister made:-

Snow tyres are studded,

[​IMG]

Winter tyres have wider channels in the tread.

[​IMG]

5. Lovah

I got some Yokohama winter-tires for my winter-rims, as my summer rims are polished and don't enjoy the salt too much.
    Summer : 18" with 225 tires
    Winter : 16" with 205 tires

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Don't worry, i know the difference between snow and winter tyres (it's also the compound used in the tyre itself, not just the grooves).

Certainly wouldn't be looking to get anything as severe as those threads, more the kind that we use in Finland for secondary roads with a shallower stud.

I live in the middle of nowhere and the concept of gritting came down to "We'll leave a few piles of the stuff on the road-side for people to apply themselves, since the council doesn't have the money for it any more"....

Grit was applied by the regional council workers once, in two weeks. Rest of the time, the roads were glass and travelling was pretty much ruled out completely. Even getting along my dirt road was tricky enough and getting up the hills I need before our laneway requires pure luck and momentum if it was bad.

We're agreed here that having at least one car with proper tyres to deal with the roads to allow for the gathering of provisions is going to be essential. :)

7. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

That first tire(tyre) pic looks like something for ice racing! That a European street tyre(tire)?

john

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Not necessarily true.

There are basically 4 kinds of tires:

Summer tires - There you all know about. Pretty hard rubber, works down to about 5degC

Cold weather tires - More or less the same as summer tires, but with a softer rubber compound that works better under 5degC.

Winter/snow tires - (Also known as studless tires) Even softer rubber than cold weather tires. Works well on snow and cold, wet roads. On warm, wet roads they are slippery as hell, so not recommended to use during summer. Not only are the threadpattern slightly different from summer tires, the rubber in the thread is also cut across the thread pattern to make the rubber softer and to improve traction on ice.

Studded tires - Almost the same as normal winter tires, but with metal studs. The rubber compound is slightly harder than winter tires, but still softer than cold weather tires. Studded tires doesn't work as well on snow, but are much better on ice. Especially wet ice.

Snow tires are also usually narrower than summer tires to reduce risk of aquaplaning.

Yeah. I don't think those are road legal anywhere. On road tires the studs only protrude a millimeter or two.

9. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

They are not allowed. Maximum stud-length for road tires are 3mm here in Denmark I believe. Though I would like to put 4 of those ice tires on a lambo and take it for a spin :D

10. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    New Toy by Chris DB Stewart, on Flickr

finally got my latest toy from ebay. Nikon FTn

Also been buying christmas presents for people but included a couple things for myself.
    Both from Wong Fu
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chris

Pookeyhead likes this.
  11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

+rep. That's proper that is! Now get rid of the canon lens cap :)

12. Gareth24

Gareth24 Folding = vdubs

Sonisphere UK 2011 tickets :rock::rock::rock:

13. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

A set of TP link powerline ethernet adapters. Fifa 2011 and microsoft wired controller (My dad was saying he'd really like to play that soccer game he's seen on consoles, so I figured I may as well get the controller for me, and the game for him. Just hook the second pc up to the tv.
    Assasins Creed 2 (hope I don't get any internet conn issues when I play, or just might get a crack for it).
    Hdmi to dvi adapter.

14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

When did you have one and what happened to it? More importantly, WHERE ON EARTH did you see it for £1000, and why did I pay £1625 for mine? DOH. NVM. VRI not VRII. Still. Hard to believe the price used to be that much and yet now is a boatload more.

Last edited: 10 Dec 2010
  15. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

or an f1 car :p

[​IMG]

16. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

I'm a canon user for digital so it wont be removed any time soon. I just enjoy the silly irony of having a nikon lens cap on my nifty fifty and a canon cap on that lens.

Chris

17. jhanlon303

I have a Nikon EM and an FM both with 50mm Nikon lenses. Been sitting in the display case forever.

Nikon is cool.

john

18. PBear23

PBear23 What's a Dremel?

Sold it back in the summer, Wasn't using it that much so was a waste to have it in the bag.

Need a telephoto again now for a project that I'm lining up, so just looking at whats available on the market. Can pick a used one up for £900, but I can't justify the extra £400 just to have the main difference of VR.

19. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

I'm looking to eBay for lenses but the prices all seem to rocket in the last few minutes.

Photography Society at uni has got me into film so I'm finally fulfilling wishes by buying a film SLR, a TLR and rangefinder.

Chris

20. jhanlon303

I had macro rings for the EM with 1000 speed film and a brutal supply of lights, I took pictures of Marilyn's 1/12th scale doll house rooms that were enough to make make people want to move in.

Does anyone know the resolution of film pics? Like on a photo CD?

john