1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Chime - what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by azrael-, 12 Dec 2010.

1. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

So, bought Chime while on offer for the first "leg" of the STEAM Treasure Hunt and I'm *still* trying to beat that achievement for it (Set a leaderboard score of at least 1,124,400 in easy (9 minute) mode for the 'Paul Hartnoll' level). The best I've been able to do is get to somewhere around 900,000 points or 94% coverage. And I've been playing that level A LOT!

According to the leaderboard people seem to be easily able to achieve *millions* of points. What am I doing wrong? Is there some special trick? A certain way of playing? :confused:

I'm close to giving up... :wallbash:

2. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

Keep your multiplier up. Any spare blocks left over from creating a quad will eventually disappear. When they do you lose your multiplier. So keep ,it neat and tidy. Also try making tall/wide blocks, rather than going for lots of little ones.
    I got this on the first attempt, but had to play for a day before I worked out how. Good luck.

azrael- likes this.
  3. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks! I know about the multiplier and that I lose it even if just one fragment disappears, but I cannot seem to avoid that at all. Maybe I'm just completely incompetent... :(

4. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

If you can get full coverage with quads you'll gain extra points/ you get a coverage bonus as you go too.

azrael- likes this.
  5. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for your suggestion as well. Like I wrote previously I've managed to get to 94% coverage (once, and by sheer luck). Usually I end up with coverage around 75%.

6. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

if blocks start flashing try and create a quad with those as they will disappear on the next beat (the line that travels from left to right) taking your multiplyer with them.

Other tips are to try and extend quads before they go solid and try for complete coverage to get a bonus.

azrael- likes this.
  7. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Only 75% coverage? You should easily be getting >90%, though TBH it's not that hard to get 100% coverage on that level, and if you do you're laughing. I just had a go and got 1.3mil with 99% coverage and it wasn't even that good of a run. My best advise would be to try concentrating on building big quads to begin with, and keep them going as long as possible. That will get you a good start on the coverage, then you can just fill in the other bits (try tackling the corner areas first as they're often the hardest). It doesn't really matter if it's untidy, I don't worry too much about retaining the multiplier and can still easily beat the score.

If you're still struggling try practising the first level a bit more. It's a fair bit easier and you should be able to get 100% coverage on that level on easy without too much trouble (I just got over 3mil with 250% coverage).

azrael- likes this.
  8. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, I finally made it. Got the achievement. *Barely*. Thanks once again for all your input.

Have to admit that I find this game *anything* but easy and also extremely frustrating. I still cannot for the life of me fathom how anyone can get high scores in it. I've done *everything* you guys have written. Actually, I did so already prior to creating this thread, which lead me to conclude there must be some sort of trick to it.

I find it impossible not to lose ones modifer after a fairly short while. And building large quads seems nigh on impossible when you keep getting dud shapes. To me what smc8788 writes sounds like pure magic (or he's just showing off :p)...

Oh, and I find the Philip Glass level pretty much equally as hard as the Paul Hartnoll level...

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

You can press R to show you which sections underneath the pieces still need to be shaded.

I was going to record a video of it so you might get some pointers, but I didn't realise the demo of Fraps only gives you 30 seconds of video (and I don't use it enough to warrant buying the full program).

instead here's a random video from you tube which might help:

azrael- likes this.