1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Dec 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

*swooooon* You've made my morning Joe. I bloody loved Oblivion!!!

3. Coldon

Coldon What's a Dremel?

I just really hope they improve the damn animation system in the new engine... And remove the auto-leveling BS that was present in oblivion

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i hope they dont continue with the trend of dumbing it down. i loved elder scrolls 3 and although 4 was good its was simplified and streamlined to capture a wider audience which made the game very easy. It was like receive quest look on map where to go teleport to nearest you can get and then be greated with a NPC running up to you to say whats going on.

5. mastorofpuppetz

mastorofpuppetz What's a Dremel?

I hope its a lot different then the shallow, emptiness of oblivion. Oblivion was the most flawed, generic, hyped RPG I have ever played. What a let down that was.

6. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Two words;

**** YES

7. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Excellent, Replaying Oblivion at the moment on my PS3 and loving every minute (although I am playing it very slowly and havn't touched the main quest line yet).

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

Also, here's a link to a better video (GT) than the one on IGN.

9. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

Please sort out the levelling system, please?

New engine plus new levelling system will make this a fantastic game - no doubt from my end.

10. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

Awesome - I loved Oblivion. Hopefully they'll get more than three voice actors for the hundreds of different characters this time, and fix all the weird bugs where beggars occasionally say the odd sentence in a completely different voice.

11. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Last I heard they where working on "the next part" to oblivion using the gamebro engine set directly after oblivion. Is that gonna happen or was there a mix of info and it was in fact TES V after all?

Hopefully it'll go back to morrowind for ideas. Combat in oblivion was better but the whole game was too bland. 1 square yard of yorkshire copy and pasted several million times! Morrowind felt it has so much more diversity especially with the expansions. I hope they bring back unarmored, lances and enchanting skills and just remake the leveling system it sucked big time. That sounds very negative on oblivion but it was still fairly good. Morrowind was just so much better overall

12. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

The review scores will be 8/10 and 9/10 regardless of how good it is.

13. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

Fingers crossed for them using one of ID's engines, what with them both being part of Zenimax and all. Gamebryo is OK, but does have the tenancy to become the crumbliest flakiest engine if the designers get ambitious with it.

More of Morrowind's strangeness and diversity would certainly be appreciated, I would happily forgo a fair amount of graphical spender to have the variety of environments and immersion which Morrowind had.

14. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

The levelling system was the same in Oblivion as it was in Morrowind, no? Either way I quite like it, using your skills to improve them makes much more sense to me than just picking the ones you want to get better at. When I finally get conjuration to level 75 and gain the ability to summon new creatures it actually feels like a huge achievement, because to get there I have to use conjuration all the time.

Admittedly there was a bit of a flaw in the system. Choosing a skill as a "major skill" meant increasing it led to levelling up. Leaving say Blunt as a minor skill then levelling it up a lot meant the world difficulty didn't change but your damage with an Axe went through the roof. I never tried this myself, but it seems to be mentioned a lot. I thought there was a system whereby it was impossible to improve your skills above the level of their controlling attribute in Oblivion, though perhaps this needs to be adjusted. A cap at 60 for weapon skills at level one is way way too high in a game that levels all the enemies based on your level and not your skills. Either the caps need to be very strict (and possibly dynamic) or the levelled world needs to be done away with altogether.

Personally I think OOO has the right idea, with levelled enemies that vary within limits; for example a rat or wolf will always be really weak once you reach a certain level, rather than managing to kill you despite your amazing gear and history of massacring Daedra. Similarly with OOO installed any group of enemies would be at a variety of levels; if you're fighting five bandits, two might go down very easily, another two might be the same as in Vanilla Oblivion and the last might be rather harder. It makes fights much more interesting than in Vanilla, where you were practically guaranteed every single battle would be the same level of difficulty regardless of your character build, level, equipment or who you were fighting. It got old fast. I hope Bethesda learns from the many excellent mods that became popular during Oblivion's term.

Back to TES V, If this game is indeed set immediately after the events of Oblivion I assume it's got something to do with the war between the Nords and House Redoran, as is mentioned several times in conversations between NPCs in Oblivion.

15. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Bethesda needs to buy TaleWorlds and have them handle the combat.

16. mastorofpuppetz

After playing Demons Souls, the combat in oblivion is terrible. Seriously, there are RPG's that do almost everything better then Oblivion, dont know why its so regarded. The game is way behind what other RPG's have done, its dialog, combat, levelling and loot system are all way below par. i think people just get lost in the open world and dont see all the major flaws in this game. IMO, they need to do a lot of work to update its antiquated gameplay.

17. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

at last shal I be able to enjoy current gen animations on bethesda's overused rpg styling

18. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

Demons Souls was released this year. Oblivion is from 2006, so of course it seems old in comparison. You can't compare something new to a game that's going to be 5 years old in just three months time.

When it came out Oblivion was an amazing and virtually unparalleled experience, so people raved about it. It was also released on consoles and did very well there because most console gamers had never played anything so unrestrictive.

It's still popular on PC today because most of the "major flaws" can be fixed in half an hour by downloading a few mods. The loot and leveling systems are completely fixed in OOO, as I mentioned already.

The combat and dialog are less easy to fix through modding, but again remember how old this game is. March 2006 was over a year and a half before the release of the original Mass Effect, now recognised as a landmark in game voice acting. It was also almost two and a half years before Mount & Blade, which has technically superior (though far more clunky-looking) combat.

Yes, there are better versions of each of these systems in a number of games, but can you name another game that gives you everything Oblivion offers? Even today I don't think such a game exists. Mass Effect et al are all very linear in comparison, while more traditional "hardcore" RPGs lack the immersive first-person combat.

This is exactly why I have a love/hate relationship with Oblivion; it's by no means perfect, but if gives a taste of some perfect RPG that I'm dying to play. Oblivion is certainly not that game, but it's the closest thing to it that I've played so far.

19. mastorofpuppetz

Disagree, RPG's older then Oblivion did combat, dialog, quests, loot better, story. Might and magic combat was outstanding.

20. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Hopefully we'll have a final boss this time round like morrowind! And please don't tell me watching something beat something else is a final boss >.>

Tags: Add Tags