1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice AMD Build Review

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ilikesimple, 12 Dec 2010.

1. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

Doesn't the cm 690 ii advanced already have a fan at the back?
    I was planning on using that as the second fan.

2. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Well, for folding you do not need SLI. It is possible to run say 4 460s on an EVGA SR2 mobo for folding, even though 460s only support dual SLI. (tri-SLI is only supported on 470/470 and 570/580, maybe the 465 as well, idk, but it's a terrible EOL card anyway). Still, there seems to be no point at all in having only 1 GPU available for gaming with this setup.

As for the case. I have the Utgard housing an i7 920 with the Gigabyte UD3 rev2 and a second hand 4890 and I am perfectly happy with it. Has enough space to work in, good ventilation, low temps, quiet fans and a fan controler. What's not to like. Especially for 60-65£.

I'd say that 750£ should be enough to buy a SB system in January or a reduced price i7. Either way, AMD can be a good idea if you already have the mobo and just need a CPU upgrade for more oomph, but building new I, sadly, see no reason to buy AMD products at the moment.

3. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

i7 950 is actually cheaper than i7 930 on scan :D You can get the same motherboard and i7 950 for the same price as the bundle:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/inte...hz-qpi-48gt-s-8mb-cache-23x-ratio-130w-retail
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...(x16)-ddr3-2000-(oc)-sata-6gb-s-sata-raid-atx

However, if you are certain you won't be going 3-way SLI in the future (GTX460 is limited to two-way SLI anyway), you could consider getting a better board for £12 more:
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/asus...20-ddr3-1866mhz-usb3-sata-6gb-s-sata-raid-atx
    Check out the reviews here:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/11/18/asus-sabertooth-x58-review/7
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/motherboards/2010/11/18/asus-sabertooth-x58-review/8

As for the CoolerMaster 690II, it should come with one Blue-LED 140mm fan for front intake, one 120mm fan for rear exhaust, and one 140mm fan for top exhaust.

Last edited: 13 Dec 2010
  4. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Yeah, that could work, u just have to coordinate the screws :p. On a side note, why do people tend to use the H50 with it pinned to the back of the case so it gets all the exhaust air that's been heated by the other components? Wouldn't it be better to use the top or side vent (assuming space allows it)?

Nice catch on the 950 marine

5. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

So would it be worth buying all parts but the CPU and motherboard during the sales, then get a SB core and motherboard at release?

6. Marine-RX179

Marine-RX179 What's a Dremel?

wow...scan raised the price of i7 950 from £199.99 to £229.32 overnight :jawdrop:

7. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

Amazing how they just do that for fun isn't it... :D

8. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

It's usually not good to spread out the buying of parts like that (unless you're buying for upgrade purposes) because parts are continually evolving. You never know what might come out in the time it takes SB to get here.

9. ilikesimple

ilikesimple AKA Scare100

If its nor good to spread the cost of buying a pc. Would you recommend that I simply get this pc with a current gen i7 at xmas?

Also does scan have boxing day sales?

10. Dae314

Dae314 What's a Dremel?

Basically, you should decide which processor you want and let that govern when you buy your parts. If you want SB go for SB, if you want to wait till SB comes out and the price on the current processors lower to get a current processor then go with that, if you wanna just get a build together now do it. I'm not sure which will be best for you in this case (b/c I don't know what the performance of SB is yet) so it's entirely up to you. It's just better to get everything in one go.

11. urobulos

urobulos Minimodder

Depends. Uk buyers will save a few pounds on VAT and you can buy pretty much everything which is not mobo or CPU now. If you order from Scan you will have free delivery anyway if you post on these forums as long as the order is more than 20£. I'd buy parts now and get the new SB i5 or the old i7 if prices drop. You can wait, but if you are settled on a list of parts then there is no reason to do so.