1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Tablet vs netbook (motorcycle trip)

Discussion in 'General' started by Tec_, 14 Dec 2010.

1. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

(this is a re-post from the hardware section ware it got 0 reply's)

well guys im in the planing stages for a motorcycle trip this coming spring and wile on this trip i will be taking lots of video (two video cameras one mounted to the motorcycle [gopro HD] and a flip mino HD) and some pics. i would like to bring something i could offload the video on to and seeing as how HD eats up memory quickly. i am trying to keep my load as light as possible. i know a netbook would take care of any issue but i must admit i am attracted to the idea of a tablet. im wondering is there anything on the market that would be capable of taking a USB in and allowing me to offload video on to it? are there any that are capable of handling the amounts memory i think im going to need?

i would love any and all opinions.

Thanks!!

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Your main problem would be battery life: 4 hours at the very most. Unless you're thinking of an iPad with USB adapter.

Other tablets are not that much lighter or smaller than a netbook. Unless you want to do heavy photo editing on the road I don't see the advantage of a tablet in your scenario (and this is coming from someone who has a tablet). But you could still pick up a HP TC1100 from eBay for a reasonable price. Forget buying one new --they cost around the £1200,-- mark.

3. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Don't they make devices specially made for this purpose? Just a USB drive with a special controller that allow you to transfer video/pictures.

4. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Depends where you're going and whether there's an electricity supply when you get there. I've taken an Advent 4211 (MSI Wind,) WD Passport 320Gb and power adapter on the bike along with clothes and a DSLR.

Admittedly it was only a 500 mile round trip, so your mileage may vary, but it's not an impossible setup. If you're editing on the road, you may want a small mouse, extended battery etc..

5. Xir

Xir Modder

Do you just want to offload the video at the end of the day or do you want to run the thing while riding? (For Navigation/tracklogs/MP3 whatever)

6. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

it doesn't need to be running wile im on the bike and it would mainly be used to just off load to maybe make a few posts / check maps if i stop some ware with free wifi

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I reckon a netbook would be better - a tablet is rather vulnerable with its big unprotected screen. Not to mention you can get 'em dirty cheap these days.

8. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

im not quite talking about a laptop style tablet. im meaning more of a ipad / samsung galaxy tab style. im thinking a small HP net book with a external HD is probably going to be the rout i go.

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

A galaxy would probably be good for size, but I'm not sure how practical it will be for connecting USB drives (or if it's even supported)

10. Xir

Xir Modder

If you use it offline a netbook would probably be a bit more practical (screen protection and having a keyboard) and a lot cheaper.

11. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I've yet to see a phone-esq tablet that supports USB hosting without extra clutter. The Galaxy Tab and Dell Streak both have PDMI connectors that contain USB OTG signals, however, the standard cable that you get with the phone has a standard USB plug on the end meaning you don't have access to the fifth signal needed to tell the phone that it needs to act as a host. On the Streak you have to use the multimedia dock to provide the USB A socket or much about hacking cables up.

Netbook would be your best bet in my opinion, probably cheaper too.

Moriquendi

12. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I would go with a netbook, they are dirt cheap, will work with any usb device, usually have a good battery life and have a decent HD onboard. I would add an external HD (portable GDrive) for redundancy or extra space. Try to keep the harddrive and netbook in something soft to limit vibrations as that could kill a harddrive.

Good luck and lets see some movies!

13. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

To be honest, moisture is more of an issue. If the device is off, the drive's read heads will be in the park position and away from the platters, so they'll be fairly safe. Placing the netbook/tablet in a neoprene sleeve and keeping it in one of the panniers in with any clothing would be good enough.

Edit: Anyone old enough to remember having to type "park" before shutting down a computer?

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

If you're worried about moisture get down to an army surplus shop and grab a couple of dry sacks.

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Nah, I was more of the "rewind"-type. ;)

16. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

you guys seem to be quite worried about the equipment getting wet or being affected by vibration. to that i would say its a portable device its all built to handle vibrations bumps and being moved. this will be a motorcycle trip over paved roads. the worst that will happen will be no more worse than dropping your backpack on the floor with your laptop in it when you get home. no harm will come to what ever device i get in the internal laptop sleeve of the back back i will be using.

17. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah, you'd be okay then.

I'm influenced by just having read a report of a guy riding to Mongolia and Kazakstan with a camera attached to his bike, a mini-PC under his seat and a touchscreen mounted to the flyscreen.
    He had some serious vibration, moisture and dust troubles :D

Just the pictures (Text is German) :D
    Camera
    PC
    Touchscreen

18. Apple OC

Apple OC What's a Dremel?

I also say netbook ... gives a little more options ... and get a good case for it.

spare battery might also help.

19. Tec_

Tec_ What's a Dremel?

yeah im going to be on paved roads all the way. this isn't the "the long way round" or "the long way down"

20. Xir

Xir Modder

Bit OT: how's "The long way down"?
    The long way round was OK..(got it at home).
    Can't find ether "The long way" as a rental though