1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Who has their own CNC machine?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by error404, 15 Dec 2010.

1. error404

error404 What's a Dremel?

I want to get in the wonderful world of CNC (as a hobby).

What is the least expensive way to get there :D and what exactly do I need?

thanks a lot!

2. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

3. error404

4. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

A pity such a place is in the US I have yet to find a good CNC website in the UK

5. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

What about this one? This is a very useful site, with quite a few UK-based contributors.

I've got one of these almost finished in my garage. I just need to add the router and do some tuning. It's a bit cold at the moment, though, so it'll have to wait till the spring before it's finished!

Xye likes this.
  6. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

Here is one build that is currently on the way in AlltheMods.com .

[​IMG]

DIY CNC 2

My own machine is a prebuilt model that was originally purchased for PCB prototyping...

[​IMG]

And here are some projects that I've done with it. Nothing major but then again, the machine isn't that big either. :)

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

If you search the modding threads for CNC, there's several long threads that cover the possibilities.
    Here's what I went with. The work area is small, but it can cut stainless steel with a coolant system added.

When you are just starting out, Sketchup with a DXF exporter and Cambam is your friend.:D
    -Later you will want to find a real cad modeling software. I've run into trouble lately because of using sketchup instead of a solid modeler.

8. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

The build it yourself sounds like a good idea, but for my case mods, I enjoys weedling the use of laser cutting and CNC machining out of my school.

10. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Some of us haven't been in school in years. When we were, cnc was too damn expensive for a school to even think about having.

11. error404

I know, my school has one now.... Too bad I graduated 5 years ago :grr:

12. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Us lot can barely get by with it anyway... We've had it for years.

13. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

The least expensive way to get a CNC is to have one sponsored... ;) The one below is courtesy of Romaxx.

[​IMG]

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

If all you need is a CNC you can get by quite cheaply. For a three-axis CNC you need 3 cheap stepper motors, 3 cheap controllers, a power supply and a pc with free soft. The next upgrade you may want to do is to buy a router or mill frame to get a CNC router or a CNC mill.

15. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

That's why I linked the build your own cnc site.

16. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

For around 4k USD why not get something that will last? I know most metal constructed CNC's will go all year but those of you who think the wooden ones will give you a good amount of accuracy over time are kidding yourselves. Not only does wood expand, it can also be compacted and influenced by heat and moisture. With those CNC kits you are likely to spend around 2k on decent parts and motors but then youll spend at least 100 hours learning and putting it together. Great if you want the experience and learning but for most people a ready to go product is going to save them time and money even though they initially may spend more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Been running the previous one all year and the new one with the vac table paid itself off after two weeks of doing signage work.

Last edited: 1 Jan 2011
  17. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I built mine just for the fun and experience of building one, putting it together and using it. I'm not expecting to get any great accuracy out of it, and I'm perfectly aware of the fact - but for me, the fun is just in having my own CNC machine that cost considerably less than $4k, I also know that, if the time comes that I have some spare cash and time, I can upgrade parts on the machine to increase the accuracy.

You might as well ask why people here build and mod their own PCs, when it's easier to buy one pre-built - yes, you can buy one, but it's much more fun to build your own - and I think you gain an understanding of your own system that others don't have.

18. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

Well in this instance the CNC is the tool to mod the PC, not the other way around. I'm not going to mod my own dremel for instance, I would rather buy one off the shelf. Same goes for the CNC.

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I have a laser cutter. yum yum yum.

20. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

I'd rather build my own. I'm not going into it as a business. I'll probably use it to make a few things around the house. The kits from the build your own cnc are using MDO now. So with the hobbiest usage it should hold up really well. They use MDO to build signs, and it usually outlasts metal signs. I also figured if I do start to use if for production, I can upgrade the wooden parts with metal as they wear out.

Besides, this is pretty damn accurate! http://www.buildyourtools.com/forums/index.php?f=8&t=1011&rb_v=viewtopic&start=20#p3350

Show off....

Last edited: 2 Jan 2011