1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya Design a Case Competition - Stage 1

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Claave, 17 Dec 2010.

?

Which is the best water-cooled case design?

Poll closed 31 Dec 2010.
  1. 1. Bartaggio

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. 2. Black Briar

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. 3. Confusis

18 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. 4. Danitgeek

17 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. 5. Demolisher

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. 6. Geort45

8 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. 7. GF4rce

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. 8. GuilleAcoustic

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. 9. ixmatal

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  10. 10. (No longer participating)

22 vote(s)
    15.1%
  11. 11. Kryss2k

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  12. 12. ĿªЪяεġø™

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  13. 13. mickcox64

55 vote(s)
    37.7%
  14. 14. MrMads

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  15. 15. Razer2007

31 vote(s)
    21.2%
  16. 16. ritter

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  17. 17. Roboduck

56 vote(s)
    38.4%
  18. 18. Shuper' Luu'

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  19. 19. SnowyOwl

45 vote(s)
    30.8%
  20. 20. Subtec

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  21. 21. Ta10n

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  22. 22. Tigerkeen

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  23. 23. Timlander

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  24. 24. Tozsam

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  25. 25. Trance

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  26. 26. Vehement

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  27. 27. Xtrafresh

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  28. 28. xXSebaSXx

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  29. 29. viljoenp

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  30. 30. Wing Zero

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  31. 31. Zesti

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  32. 32. Zukomonitor

20 vote(s)
    13.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

They may be some of the best rendered, but they're also some of the best thought out cases. They have good internal design plus good external styling. I voted for xxSebaSxx also because it had great internal structure and framework. Some of the others have different and interesting ideas, but just aren't functionally practical. Even with the cases that I selected I don't think are perfect ( like an abundance of fans that seems to be common between most of the designs ). However, I will admit that I didn't look at the design thread, so maybe by vote was misinformed.

2. tozsam

tozsam What's a Dremel?

some ppl ARE voting purly by pretty renders and aesthetics. Case in point would be ixmetal (the case that looks like an ornament. There are no shots about structure, internals etc. So those votes are blatelantly based on aesthetics. Sorry to pick you out ixmetal, but your case has the prettiest aesthetics and a pretty render, don't take offense, take it as a complement.

Also as said above, there should be links to the forum page for each design, and what has happened to the two specs? How have the smaller cases got any chance against the cases which can fit 2 quad rads etc. A good example would be jrs77, A beautiful case with sooo many options, but that is because it is fairly big. The smaller cases have no modability, because everything is packed so tight to keep the size down.

3. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Ah, finally we get to vote. :)

Voted for Kryss2k, Subtec, Razer, SnowyOwl and Trance. :thumb:

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Erm... my design was a medium-tower with 500x500x225mm. That's just slightly bigger then an Antec 300. Just to clarify this for you.

Anyways, NO, the represantation of the designs and the form of the vote itself isn't optimal at all.

5. Luigi408

Luigi408 What's a Dremel?

Voted. I don't know how #17 is was on top. Not a good looking case.

6. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

Unfortunately we've been extremely busy with other content in the run up to Christmas and to be honest we did underestimate the number of entries we'd receive. 32 entries each with up to 6 photos via email does take a while to translate into an online article and adding 100 words for each would mean over 3,000 words. Less than a third provided words in addition to the photos so to be fair we would have had to go through the 30+ page article to look for information. In a word, the competition has been a victim of its own success but we'll have to live with the limitations I'm afraid - as I'm sure all the entrants will agree, it needed to go live before Christmas. We'll learn from this and hopefully these issues will be ironed out for stage 2!

7. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

a simple link back to a relevant post in the concept thread would have sufficed. for example: Phoyba Defiant by Wing Zero

That would be the fault of the designer. this stage was all for 'proof of concept' and if they didn't really want to explain it, so be it. i know the old saying 'Picture says 1000 words' but words are rather helpful too

unfortunately, for 27 entries, they won't make it to Stage 2 for these issues to be ironed out

Last edited: 18 Dec 2010
  8. Spotswood

Spotswood Custom PC case builder

Id buy ixmatal in a heartbeat, but I doubt Phobya would be able to manufacture it.

9. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

I thought it was going to be around ten entries going to stage 2... only five would be a real shame, particularly for me as it looks like I'm about to lose spot #5 to ixmatal :duh:

It's obvious people are voting for pretty renders, but really, did anyone ever expect otherwise? Mine is the only one with more than 20 votes that isn't a render. Ah well. Learn, adapt, do better next time.

10. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Note to self, learn to render, finish case design for concept stage, don't bother writing a few paragraphs of text explaining my ideas and thoughts as it'll just be ignored.

11. Shuper' Luu'

Shuper' Luu' Moda'a'foca modding power!

How i understand you :duh:

Next time beside do a really rough sketch with text (yes, if a award for more rough sketch exist, i win!:D) i will use the solidworks like i normally do. Damm i burn my brain to fit the more rads and combination i can in less space but have space to assembly everything without get in RAGE MOD.

I've already vote, only 4 votes, not find a 5th place.

Wish luck to all :thumb:

12. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

No offense taken.

I can understand some of the bad feelings about having a "pretty" render posted, it can make anyone feel like they are at a disadvantage if they don't have the same tools. I only posted those renders with my entry because of the rules of the competition.

"Stage one is for rough concepts, experimentation and for you to take on board advice from other forum users. Then it's the community's turn - bit-tech readers will vote for their favourite design and the best will go through to the next stage where their designs will progress further."

My entry has a paragraph or two about my personal design goal and the equipment I considered during the process; along with the point that the design could very easily be scaled down to Mid-tower specs. I even went as far as to explain why I was so late with my entry http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2495283&postcount=560

After my first post, I started reading through the thread and realized other entrants were already posting layouts ( which I consider to be engineering as opposed to design ), and I did manage to get a partial motherboard layout posted just before the end http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=2496214&postcount=589

Spotswood - I have followed your work logs with great interest due to your choice of materials. You are a true craftsman! As to manufacturing processes, the only assumptions I made were based on the equipment that should be in any modestly equipped sheet metal shop. So, even though it isn't a simple design, it also is not that hard to assemble for an experienced journeyman. In practice I specifically try -not- to design anything I wouldn't be capable of producing myself.

Combatus - I do agree with everyone that it would have been a smart thing to have a link to the original post with each photo set on the voting page. Also, I had the impression ( as did others ) that there would be as many as 10 entrants picked for the second stage based on the comments left by yourself and Nitrix. I have to say it is more than little concerning to have the appearance that the rules of the competition are being changed while the competition is in progress.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2010
  13. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

Oh dang... I just now read combatus post about only 5 designs will make it to Stage 2.... Well... I guess I can kiss my chances good bye then...
    I'll continue tweaking the design and optimizing it for construction.... Even if mine doesn't get made by Phobya; it will be made by me.

14. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

What? The article (the one this thread is attached to) says
    It wouldn't really make sense to cut so many anyway, since there's supposed to be 3 stages and 3 final designs going to Phobya in the end for them to decide; if five go to stage 2 and another two are dropped at the stage 2 voting, there'd be no point of having a 3rd stage at all.

15. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

@ subtec

This post: Post 46

Read through to the end and you'll see that Combatus mentions that 27 of the 32 participating designs will not make it to stage 2.... That means only 5 will be picked from Stage 1... I guess they felt that narrowing it down would make things easier to manage going forward. Doesn't really matter much to me... I didn't really have hopes of making it through anyway; given the quality of the submissions; I could find at least ten that looked better and were better implemented than mine... It was a cool experience and I learned a ton about Sketchup in the process; so it wasn't a waste of time by any means.

Good luck to those that make it through... I can't wait to see who wins this thing and get to see one of the killer cases brought to life...

16. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Dude.

:wallbash: :read: :D

Wing Zero said that, in this post, which I already replied to. I don't know why he said that, but he's clearly wrong. The article says ten go to stage 2.

17. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

Hey... Cut me some slack dude... It's 4:30 am here and I've been up for 30 hours, so forgive me if my concentration is not up to snuff right at this moment....

Either way... ten or five... I still doubt I'll make it to stage 2 anyway.

18. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

Lol, np man... get some sleep!

19. Wing Zero

Wing Zero Ita-sha owner

i mistook '5 Votes' for '5 go through', sue me :p

though something that would be nice.. if they allowed re-voting or the option to change your vote. after all, the people that have voted for the design that's been withdrawn, i bet they would like to move their vote to someone else.

20. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

10 cases go through

but you only get to vote for 5.

Currently anyone with 14+ vote is in the winning bracket - get voting peoples.