1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Win7 x64 randomly reads ram

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Octane, 9 Dec 2010.

1. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

I just got my new rig up and running. Everything is good except windows randomly reads my ram. I have GSkill Ripjaw 3x4gb (12gb) 1333 DDR3 ram. Upon some restarts windows only sees 4gb of ram. Other times, it sees 8gb of ram and only once have I seen it showed the full 12gb of ram. Most of the time it stays at 4gb of ram.

I tested each ram individually and they all work fine. CPU-Z shows all 12gb is present. Also RAM limit is unchecked.

Specs:
    Rampage III Formula
    Latest BIOS v.0505
    i7 980x
    G. Skill Ripjaw triple channel 1333 3x4gb.
    Win7 64bit
    GTX580

I tried everything I can think of and appearantly it still reads what I have randomly. Anyone else seen this happen before?

2. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

It could be dodgy ram slots. Take it all out and put one stick into the first slot to see if it boots and work your way along through all of the slots (6). Also the Asus mobos can be temperamental if the CPU cooler is not screwed down properly and evenly as it puts uneven pressure on the CPU and messes up the contact with the socket pins. It may even be worth checking to see if you haven't bent a pin when you installed the CPU. I had the exact same problems with my P6TD Deluxe as you're having. If all that fails and all the pins are good it might be RMA time.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

yeap was gonna suggest a hardware problem

5. Mitchell

Mitchell What's a Dremel?

Try loosening the screws slightly on your CPU cooler, too much pressure around the socket area can cause memory detection issues since the memory controller is on the CPU itself.

Another thing you could try is enabling the Memory Configuration Protect option in the BIOS.

6. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

I just pulled my CPU out, inspected all pins, none bent. Installed the H70, using only 2 fingers to screw its tightness in a star pattern to ensure even and no over pressure on the CPU.

Pulled all the memory, checked for damage, put it all back in.

First restart: 8GB
    Second restart: 4GB
    Third restart: 4GB
    Fourth restart: 12GB
    Fifth restart: 8GB
    This restart: 12GB

7. AndyCubb

AndyCubb Victory is mine!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Take out your memory sticks and clean the contacts with a soft eraser, and also blow out any dirt in the socket.

Next add a bit more memory voltage and possibly QPI/VTT to your uncore.

Finally try some other memory to see if it's an issue with the memory. It's happened to me on both Asus and Gigabyte X58 boards before (only because I've used them more) with Corsair, Crucial and G.Skill memory. Nailing an exact cause is difficult although the above tricks have helped. I went to G.Skill before about this and they replaced the SPD chip, but that was with 2GB DIMM not 4GB: different IC/PCB

9. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

Well I got in contact with ASUS's techs and they suggested a RMA to at least narrow the problem. I'll let everyone know if that fixes the problem.

10. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

You need to play around with the voltage. I had that problem the moment I went over to DDR3 and the asus boards. I then and went and bought low voltage ram and never had the problem since

11. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

yeah good suggestions.. remember you also have vref voltages for each channel you can bump up some- might be all it needs

12. Octane

Octane What's a Dremel?

I did that on multiple counts. Theres this guide everyone always links to and I followed it. Then I went to ASUS's fourms and followed this other person's "fix", still nothing. Then I called up ASUS tech support line, followed their "fix" by bumping voltage, still nothing. On another site, I found someone with the exact same problem with his Dominator GT.