1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU So. A remote kill switch in Sandy Bridge CPUS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Andy Mc, 19 Dec 2010.

1. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

I hope this does not come true for the released versions.

2. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

Intel are going to fit a 3G sim/reciever to every cpu? It doesnt seem likely, wouldn't the heat from the cpu destroy these?

3. Andy Mc

Andy Mc Modder

Also

• how will they power it if the device is not plugged into the mains?
    • what if the device is in an area with no 3g signal and it needs to be killed?
    • how will it recieve the 3g signal from inside a case with a giant lump of metal strapped to it that blocks the signal?

I can not see it working over 3g but remotely connected to the internet? maybe, but I hope not.

4. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

More cost for junk we don't need...

5. Conall

Conall What's a Dremel?

sounds like an optional feature for implementation in tablet computers tbh. ( eg samsung galaxy tab)

6. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Actually, to partially answer point one, there's some wonderful technology found in RFID cards. I sugget you read up on it, not because it's particularly relevant to your argument but because it's a fantastically clever idea.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

imagine the shenanigans though, like built in roid rage.. turning off a guys rig for fun

and besides it's the harddrive that they want.. they'd just take it out

and if it fried the drive along with it to have this make sense.. goes back to- frying a guys rig for fun

remember that used to be the joke.. make a trojan that made the guys harddrive sound like a dishwasher before shutting it all down while trying to fry the cpu

8. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

Hmm big brother! I hope not imagine the outrage if it broke and all comps stopped working using these cpus.

At first i though this was to prevent people lifting CPUs which I thought would be rediculas.

9. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

If you are concerned enough with security to want this feature, I'll bet you would also set up some pretty basic HD security features too.

10. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

haha, what a useless idea. as the article correctly points out, the data drive is more important. stolen computer is gone unless you can track it using GPS.

meh, should not be of concern to anyone.

11. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

12. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I call BS, but hey, loads of people said that the whole thing with the memory voltages vs the processor voltages with i7 chips before they came out was BS...and it wasn't...

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

imagine if ownership of the CPU became a license agreement each year, essentially paying every year for the right to use the hardware.

Dear Sir,

Your license has expired and failure to pay your bill has resulted in the activation of the kill switch to deactivate your hardware.

Kind regards

Intel custom services

14. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Lol, imagine rental hardware with an internet connection mandatory? :lol::lol::lol:

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

then screw people with a 8mb/s connection minimum speed for correct killing speed

16. dangerman1337

dangerman1337 Minimodder

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's ALL about business' and government. Even Intel is not in the business of disabling PCs - there will be such a negative PR and legal outcry it's not worth it.

The next time your MP loses his laptop in the back of a taxi with a million social security numbers on it, you'll be ****ing thankful for this kind of feature ;)

You'll need a Q-series business chipset in order to use it, which costs more. This is because countries like China don't allow it for the fears you displayed above.

18. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's just part of a featureset that also tags the BIOS to the hard drive afaik, so you'd have to pull the platters out to get the data off. But, combine that with an SSD or auto-encrypting disk, and (in theory) you might as well not bother :)

I'm not entirely privy to the whole details tbh. Business and security is not my area, I've only lightly read up on things like LoJack.

19. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Doesn't the Q series chipset also support TPM? In any case, a company implementing this would also be implementing HD encryption, or to put it another way, a company considering this would probably have already implemented HD encryption.

Sophos do an enterprise HD & USB encryption product that allows you to remotely "kill" a PC that phones home over the internet, ensuring that no data can be gleaned from it if stolen. Of course the PC has to be connected to the internet for it to work but the HD is encrypted anyway.

20. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Yeah, it has some really knowledgeable people there, but also some really voracious trolls (just search for RavenXXX2 ;) )