1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Phobya Design a Case Competition - Stage 1

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Claave, 17 Dec 2010.

?

Which is the best water-cooled case design?

Poll closed 31 Dec 2010.
  1. 1. Bartaggio

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. 2. Black Briar

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. 3. Confusis

18 vote(s)
    12.3%
  4. 4. Danitgeek

17 vote(s)
    11.6%
  5. 5. Demolisher

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. 6. Geort45

8 vote(s)
    5.5%
  7. 7. GF4rce

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  8. 8. GuilleAcoustic

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  9. 9. ixmatal

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  10. 10. (No longer participating)

22 vote(s)
    15.1%
  11. 11. Kryss2k

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  12. 12. ĿªЪяεġø™

12 vote(s)
    8.2%
  13. 13. mickcox64

55 vote(s)
    37.7%
  14. 14. MrMads

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  15. 15. Razer2007

31 vote(s)
    21.2%
  16. 16. ritter

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  17. 17. Roboduck

56 vote(s)
    38.4%
  18. 18. Shuper' Luu'

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  19. 19. SnowyOwl

45 vote(s)
    30.8%
  20. 20. Subtec

26 vote(s)
    17.8%
  21. 21. Ta10n

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  22. 22. Tigerkeen

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  23. 23. Timlander

1 vote(s)
    0.7%
  24. 24. Tozsam

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  25. 25. Trance

14 vote(s)
    9.6%
  26. 26. Vehement

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  27. 27. Xtrafresh

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  28. 28. xXSebaSXx

9 vote(s)
    6.2%
  29. 29. viljoenp

4 vote(s)
    2.7%
  30. 30. Wing Zero

5 vote(s)
    3.4%
  31. 31. Zesti

11 vote(s)
    7.5%
  32. 32. Zukomonitor

20 vote(s)
    13.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

We'll definitely be doing this for stage 2 but for stage one, it meant trawling through a 34-page forum thread looking for the entries of 32 people - to complicate things further many didn't even post in the forum thread and we had no idea who had. Due to time constraints we simply weren't able to do this.
    Text has to be edited before it goes on line so unfortunately this isn't a simple copy and paste process, even if the designer provided it. Again, we just ran out of time to do this given he number of entries but we'll definitely be asking for descriptions in the next stages.

2. ashtefere

ashtefere What's a Dremel?

Wow... some of the votes I just dont understand.

I can smell the filthy smell of people gaming the system here.

For ixmetal to get that many votes? No offence but... its just a terrible, ugly, unpractical design. I would hope the bit-tech community is better than that.

Subtec, Ta1on and Zesti are clearly the best designs here when you look at them for style, 'freshness' functionality, cost and ease of construction.

These three, realistically, are the best ones here.

Roboduck's design is also very very nice, but from a cost and manufacturing point of view it is unrealistic.

People are voting with their eyes and not their brains. Ignore the renders and take a damned look.

Geez!

-Ash

3. Roboduck

Roboduck 01110001 01110101 01100001 01100011

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions so just because you don't care for a design doesn't mean that others don't see value in it. I don't believe anyone is intentionally gaming the system. Yes It may seem unfair that some people (myself included) have posted renderings but this is a contest and I do not see an issue with using every recourse available to demonstrate your idea. If anyone wants rendering of their designs I will be happy to help out! After all "attractiveness" is a criteria of the contest.

I like coming to bit-tech because (for the most part) the atmosphere is one of creativity and positive feedback. I have seen a lot of people complaining and attacking others designs during this contest and I have to say it makes me sad to see that. I know the contest hasn't been perfect but given the circumstances everyone is doing their best to make it as fair as possible. Constructive criticism is fine and often appreciated but there is a big difference between constructive criticism and the negative comments that have been going on here.

Lets try to keep this upbeat and positive guys.

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

I'm glad you like my case but just for the record I tried to make my case as low cost and easy to manufacture as possible. The design is no where near finished so you will see significant changes in the design before the end. I work as a CAD designer in a machine shop so I know the sort of things that can drive up the cost of a project. I went for a simple design and if I don't win I plan to finish the manufacture ready drawings and release them so that anyone that wants to make their own can. If you don't mind what features did you see as driving up the manufacturing cost? This would be helpful to know so I can clarify later in the 2nd and 3rd stages.

Thanks!

Last edited: 19 Dec 2010
  4. ashtefere

ashtefere What's a Dremel?

Hi Roboduck.

Mainly the issues I see is the massive amount of construction material required, and the large size of panels that appear to be seamless from your renderings.

The punch out or cut out the metals required they would need to start from extremely large slabs of material, of which cost increases exponentially with size.

Also, it would be exceedingly heavy (at least as heavy as 2x regular chassis with the thickness of aluminium required of perhaps 2-3mm) so freight would drive cost as well.

And again, a higher quantity of material would be required to build it, around 2x the amount for a regular case.

I do like the design, but for a mass produced case it could be a little to difficult to quickly produce and perhaps too expensive to interest people. Keep in mind the cost of the TJ12 just released and how much simpler it appears than your design - and the estimated cost of around $999.

-Ash

5. Roboduck

The panels are not seamless. When Rendering in SolidWorks any edges that are touching appear seamless hence the look of a huge solid piece. I have not had time to finish the edge bends so they are all flat panels right now so it looks as if they are all one piece but all the top, bottom, back, front and divider panels are separate and will all be made as such. Thanks for the feedback though I didn't think people would perceive it that way but now that you point it out I can see how you could get that impression.

6. ixmatal

ixmatal What's a Dremel?

Umm, all I can say is, wow......:confused:

I take no offense to your opinions.

It is obvious that either my design, or other peoples reaction to my design, has evoked a very strong reaction within you. This is something any artist aims for, regardless of whether the reaction is positive or negative. And from that perspective I am actually kind of flattered.

However, I am shocked that anyone would be so vehement and acrid in a public forum. And then go on and actually malign the entire community for their voting decisions? And to suggest that there is collusion or fraud involved?! Especially in this community where I have generally found everyone to be so helpful and positive?!

Sir, I can respect your opinions, but the way you chose to air them, I feel is disrespectful, hurtful, and un-called for.

Roboduck likes this.
  7. Kryss2k

Kryss2k What's a Dremel?

I struggled to find 5 I like... not happy with the middle image of mine as it's really blurry (maybe it was because of the size of images I sent - suggested dimensions would have been useful *just a heads-up for next time*).

Still I didn't expect to do that well and was using this as an insight into case designing - Good luck to everyone and thanks for those that voted for me =)

8. Roboduck

I have a quick question. Would it be OK to post updated images of our designs in this thread or should we wait until the voting is over? I would like to show the updates I have made to my design as well as updated images to help clarify some of the confusion surrounding my design. I can wait until stage 2 starts I just thought I would ask before posting so I don't accidentally break the rules.

Thanks!

9. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Shame jrs77 dropped out as it was a good design (and now 20+ people wasted their votes). Controversy and drama aside I thought I'd share my votes and the reasoning behind them in hope of spurring the creative process.

-mickcox64:
    This has been floating around for a while now and a shame that it’s not got to production. Well thought out with just enough space for easy working in a worst case scenario. The high bay res should make bleeding quick too. A bit plain but conversely should be easy to manufacture. I personally would put the bottom PSU mount side on and shorten the length a few inches. I’d like to see a way to get more HDD’s in there if possible too.

-SnowyOwl:
    Love it. Very efficient use of space for a mid-ish size case. I don’t think you can get much smaller without compromising somewhere. I’d personally like to see mac-pro like cheese grater holes though. I’d also like to see some air moving over the HDD’s (I assume there is space above the array for a fan?). Two 5.25” bays is a bit stingy and precludes the use of dual bay reservoirs. I’d make space for a 3rd bay (maybe some kind of removable configuration?). Unfortunately the complexity of the design probably means that it will either be very expensive or altered for manufacture.

-Subtec:
    Very polished design with a lot of thought gone into it with all the options. Love the retro workstation looks. A ‘normal’ ATX set up in there may leave a lot of wasted space though. [Thought: As your using bottom>top airflow, have you considered a dust filter running the whole length of the bottom that you could slide out of a notch in the front all in one go? Kind of like a Lian-Li X2000 but horizontal. That would be the best dust filter in the world! I may actualy clean it]

-Trance:
    Intriguing use of the Silverstone 90° design. Lose the HPTX size and fiddle with the plates and it might have potential.

-Zesti:
    Ultimately I would be more than happy for a slightly revised TJ07 (slightly heightened, easy mounting in the roof, good routing holes, lian-li like HDD bay and easy to swap dust filters ). This eschews the roof mounted rad for lowered vertical size. Not a fan of the front cowl. It reminds me of nasty NZXT’esq styling. Re-jig the front and provide filters and your onto a winner.

Honourable mention:

-Danitgeek:
    Another TJ07 revision, but this submission fails in that it lacks any details about the interior or styling. Currently it's just a box. Shame as it’s got the basis of my perfect case.

-Roboduck:
    Very neat use of space, but I’m not sold on side 5.25” bays on a case of this size (especially that low). Don’t like the HDD mounting either. I’d prefer some more air gap and vibration decoupling. I like the whole side panel vent thing, but I’m unsure of its need in this situation. If the rad and fans are in the lengthwise orientation would it not shave a few inches of the depth? With all the exhaust it would probably not make much difference to the internal temp and help pull air through the rad?

Geort45:
    If I won the euro millions this week I would immediately commission you to make this case for my SR2 quad GTX580 monster. As it is though that is never going to happen so I’ve used the vote for something that could be of use to me if it saw the light of day. Ps, needs more neon.

Good luck all! :hip:

Last edited: 22 Dec 2010
  10. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

I've certainly considered a big dust filter on the bottom, though I haven't done on any work trying to actually incorporate it. I think it would almost necessarily add to the overall height, something I'd rather avoid.

Yeah, an ATX board does look a little small in there; that's an unavoidable result of making space for the SR-2. That interior space could possibly be used for additional 3.5" drives, though I haven't tested the feasibility of that.

I should point out that the case overall, while large, is not overwhelmingly so. Definitely smaller than an 800D (albeit deeper). You referred to Snowy Owl's case as "mid-ish" sized, yet it's only about 15% smaller than mine (granted those handles use up a lot of space). Also I've got about 2-3 times the radiator capacity vs. his case (not that this is a competition or anything... *cough*).

Thanks for the feedback.

11. ziza

ziza What's a Dremel?

Hi

Really nice design cases, i think that some brands should come to check these cases, for example Silverstone it would be really interesting.

I voted for Portuguese cases, sorry but he have to give some support;)

cumps,
    ziza

12. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

no, wait till the next stage.

13. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

Just took a quick look at the standings and it looks like anyone with at least 16 votes is in right now.... There are two people with 16 votes so that would be a tie for tenth place.

I guess it was a good run for "Liquefied"... But alas; looks like she won't be making it to the second round... I'm not going to complain, but I too wish that Combatus had used some of my later renderings instead of the ones published. Oh well... Live and learn... I'm sure the next contest will be much better planned.

I wish the guys going to stage 2 all the luck. I'm really interested in seeing which of the designs gets built and how much it will end up costing.

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I really don't want to sound negative, but with the lack of professionalism shown in the whole contest so far I'd be actually surprised if anything will be built at all in the end.

BTW: Why's there noone from Phobya taking part here in the forums? You know... the company behind this competition... :D

15. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

I represent Phobya.

The winning case will be built.

As for the comp you have to understand we are trying something new and there will be a few minor hitches that will be ironed out in the next stage.

16. danitgeek

danitgeek Designer

My case is just a quick render if i go through everything will be changed but the shape i will be kept same if the community likes it

I was also wondering even if you lose do you still keep copyright for your design or entering you lost you desgin from the start .

17. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

You can't loose copyright... you can't even give it away/sell it etc as copyright is not tradeable by default. The coypright is allways tied to the person or company, who created something (text, music, art) first.
    As you're not an employee of Phobya, the copyright is still yours in this case.

The only thing you can do with your copyright is to grant it's usage to others, either for free or for license-fees.

18. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Snowy Owl, I just realised that you have forgot to add any front IO on your case. You also need an 8pin hole at the top of the M/B tray. Something to bare in mind. Also, what kind of spacing is there between the front cages and the backs of long components like HD5970's and wider then normal M/B like a RIIIE.

It depends on what height the feet are and the layout of the bottom of your design. I think a simple set of rails pressed out along either side of the length of the bottom should suffice. Depending on how the facia is made a slot should be easy to integrate and may even blend in nicely with the looks. I think Silverstones FT02/RV02 give ~3cm of ground clearance, but they are pushing air through with 180mm fans while yours is mainly pulling with 140mm.

I had another thought. Do you think it would be possible to make the switch/IO panel moveable to either side? Not everyone wants their buttons on the left.

Snowy Owl's case is mid-ish because it just fits into my current pc hole while your protrudes out the front like a sore. :p Personally I’ll never own an SR2 and all the trimmings so the space is wasted on me (but I am open to donations!). By extension the 7x 140mm radiator space is way over kill. It makes me think there should be two categories in the competition, one for ATX and another for the bloody SR2 and its ilk! :dremel:

19. subtec

subtec drawing boxes

The ground clearance in my design is about 2cm. I'm sure it could be done as you say, more or less.

It's possible, it's just that the right side is a single panel and to put a cut out there disrupts the design a bit. But I had thought of it, in fact, and an idea was one side could have the power/IO panel and the other an external 3.5" device, sharing the same lateral space.

Well what's the fun of putting your pc in a hole anyway ;P

20. Zesti

Zesti Aluminium + file

Thanks for the comment! Shame that I didn´t had more time to polish this design and seems that I´m not getting to the stage 2.. I would have added USB´s to the front panel and probably tried some kind of a door on it. I also thought about adding 2x120mm radiator/fan mountings to the roof etc..