1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News COD: Black Ops map pack announced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Dec 2010.

1. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

i love the date error... Feb. 01, 2010. haha. the map pack is long overdue. and was supposed to be released months before the actual game came out. niice. but seriously... 1200MS points? forget that. what a waste of money.

2. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I came here to post the same thing ;)

rep for you sir

I have become a huge TF2 fan but it cannot be compared to UT at all. No game ever had as may maps as the original UT did. I'm talking about hundreds of maps for every type of gameplay (ctf, tdm, assault, low-g, sniper matrix, ig. everything)

Nothing will ever come close to UT. To me, online gaming competition and fun peaked with UT,CS and Quake 3.

It's never going to happen again because noobs and retards make for about 80% of the market.

*sigh*

EDIT:

and I agree, the maps of black ops are awful. They ruin the game completely for me. I played about 4 hours and I don't think I will play it much more. I get pissed half a second after connecting to a server because I inevitably get shot in the back, spawn, get shot in the back, spawn, get shot in the back.

It's stupid

3. spectre456

spectre456 What's a Dremel?

all this complaining and people will still end up buying these map packs. same complaints from MW2 map packs and i'm sure the sales will be the same if not better.

People seem to forget that you can literally charge what you want when you dominate the market in terms of sales and mass appeal. why should they offer them for $10 when they can sell just as well for $15.

4. Showerhead

Showerhead What's a Dremel?

Bear in mind as well when you say all this complaining we are a tiny proportion of the market. A huge chunk of that market will probably never read gaming journals/websites.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Hahahaha! £10 for 4 maps?! I shouldn't be surprised from a game published by Activision really but I didn't think they were that greedy.

6. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Not elitists like us ;)

7. alf-

alf- Minimodder

if you liken this to a DVD, it is actually good value.

people bitch and moan about how this DLC costs this, or that.
    but never consider how much value you get, put it this way for COD MOD2 i have a few hundred hours of playtime, and if i were too buy Black ops, i would imagine this would be about the same after the same time.

for a game that costs around 35 pound i think thats fantastic value, hundreds of hours of entertainment from an investment of 35 pound, theres not many other forms of entertainment that can beat that, for dvd you get what?, 3 hours max plus maybe several hours of extras for around 10 pound, thats pretty **** value in comparison to games like COD.

and this same logic applies to DLC, sure it would be great if it was free, but even at 10 pound its not bad value at all, considering the amount of playtime it could add to the game.

8. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Didn't BFBC2: Vietnam also have 4 maps? :eyebrow:

If Treyarch called these 'expansions' instead of 'map packs', would that give them a higher perceived value?

9. lewchenko

lewchenko Minimodder

I will buy it.

£10 is cheap. The game cost me £35 and I've had more than 35 hours just out of the multiplayer so far with still the single player left to play. That's only £1 per hour of fun.
    I've had none of the technical problems plus treyarch have now released a decent patch which seems to have helped people that do.

Compared to a DVD or a cinema ticket, this is cheap. For people that love cod black ops, they will love this.

They only negative point is the timed exclusive for the 360 platform which sticks two fingers up at the ps3 and pc customers.

10. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Consider whether you'd actually get any more hours out of a map pack. You're still playing the same game which you already paid for, just in a slightly different setting. If you'd have kept on playing with the same maps anyway then the DLC adds nothing.

11. alf-

alf- Minimodder

of course you will get extra hours of game play from a game, if you add additional content,
    people who buy this DLC are obviously going to play it.

some people get tired of playing the same maps, so in that sense this DLC of extra maps will add something.

when i bought the first Modern warfare, i played it a lot, but eventually i got bored, so when they added the DLC to it, it reignited my interest in the game, adding dozens of hours of extra game play, of course this DLC was free, but even if it had cost 10 pound or even slightly more i would still consider it worthwhile, as it added a large amount of entertainment to that game.

how much would anyone here spend on a night out, be it the cinema, pub, club or even dinner and thats just for one night of maybe several hours.
    DLC isn't for everyone, but to people who say its expensive they need a reality check, 10 pound for something that could potentially extent a game by dozens of hours is pretty good value.

12. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

@ alf- £10 is not cheap when its just 4 mp maps that should'nt cost a penny, no amount of comparisons can convince us that its good value. £10 for a proper expansion is decent value, but maps and mods should be free.

13. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

As Phantasy Star Online showed us, less is more when it comes to maps :)

It's interesting how this is kind of the opposite model to TF2. TF2 gives you all the maps, and then encourages you to pay for some shiny weapons to pwn your friends with (random items aside...). BLOPS lets everyone get the good guns, but then demands you pay £10 to keep playing with everyone.

14. alf-

alf- Minimodder

depends of your definition of value really.

i would consider it good value if it added dozens of hours of extra game time, which i suspect it will based on other map packs i have downloaded.

but really people will decide with their wallets.

i just find it funny that people will spend several times this on a night out without any qualms, or spend 10 pound on a single DVD without any hesitation, but yeah each to their own and all that.

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

I was a former UT player and CS player, where yes there were hundreds of maps, BUT I think people are forgetting how much less time it took to create a map back in those days as compared to now, I mean maybe 40 hours for a very pro home made map. (I used to make CS maps) I made the transition to Ut2k3 but after that the amount of time and varying skills went up a lot in terms of making maps yourself, lighting, physics consideration, optimization etc etc. It took a lot more work to make a map for a later engine like source or cryengines.

I think the DLC model is here to stay, and while it's a shame we don't get as much bang for the buck and free content as we used to. look at the cost of making a triple A title now as compared to late 90's it's vastly different and they are trying to recoup as much as they can.

16. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

"Puts hand up"
    I would be one of the dumb ones, I've got some xbox points kicking around ready for the map pack, already ranked up 2.5days worth of gameplay on BlackOps so the extra maps should see me through to the next map pack :) or game that I like the look of and then shell out another £40 for it.
    It is the only game I like playing on the xbox, sit on it most nights for a couple hours with my Brother & mates.

17. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

I don't understand the comments about poor maps on BLOPS. There is plenty of variety and maps like launch and radiation are excellent. Much better than COD 4's map selection.

I played Bad Company 2 a lot, but DICE's marketing spin of 'new maps' which basically consisted of different game modes on the same map was a bit much. Also aren't 2 of the 4 maps released recently from the original Bad Company game?

If they charge for the extra maps on BLOPS PC i probably wouldn't bother, but i've had a lot of fun playing the multiplayer so far.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

I thank COD for keeping all the tards and 13 year olds away from good games. I don't want to imagine how a game like WoT would play if all these idiots would join my precious servers :D

19. Culinia

Culinia What's a Dremel?

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

What i mean is that i'm happy that games like COD exist, so I can enjoy the games that i actually play. I don't believe it's that much of a strech to say that the more mainstream a game is, the lower the quality of human interaction in this game.

Tags: Add Tags