1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Water Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pizzanbeer, 20 Dec 2010.

1. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ATCS 840 by Coolmiester

Also, lots of worklogs on XS featuring ATCS 840.

2. pizzanbeer

pizzanbeer What's a Dremel?

3. pizzanbeer

This could work for me.Looks ok and if needed could install the 360 inside case still.Is the bracket for the 480 rad strong and sturdy?If bumped will it break?

4. pizzanbeer

Wish i had the skills to do this also.Looks great.

5. pizzanbeer

How hard is the pc to move?

6. pizzanbeer

This would block my pop up hub for usb ports.

7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

8. pizzanbeer

That looks cool.I like that bracket.Really leaning to a outside radiator now.Will a 360 internal be overkill?Would it be possiable to run a 480 rad outside case and a 360 rad inside case on 1 pump?
    I really want alot of room for overclocking and temps low and very low fan speeds.
    Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM Cooling Fan will be my fan of choice for radiator.

9. Big Elf

I haven't used a DDC so can't comment but the 655 coped with 2 quad rads, 2 MCW-60 GPU blocks and a Heatkiller (restrictive) block and got good flow on setting 3 and above and reasonable flow below that although load temps increased by a few degrees. I'd expect the DDC to deliver a higher flow rate though.

I'd try it with a single rad first and see if you're happy with the temps and noise levels then add another one later.

10. pizzanbeer

This is what i put together so far for build.Open to suggestions.I need help with what best to connect all this together.Which fittings are best for no leaks and look good to.What size fittings?Benefit of one fitting versus another?Will pump be noisy?Anyone have this pump and could give feed back on it?

XSPC RX480 Quad Radiator - Black
    [XSPCRX480]

£85.10 ex. VAT
    £99.99 inc. VAT
    Koolance BKT-HX001 Radiator Mounting Bracket with Quick-Release
    [BKT-HX001]

£34.00 ex. VAT
    £39.
    EK-FC5870 V2 - Plexi (Non Reference ATI 5870)
    [3831109855058]

£59.56 ex. VAT
    £69.98 inc. VAT (2) total
    12V Laing D5 Vario Pump (Swiftech MCP655)
    [MCP655]

£72.99 ex. VAT
    £85.76 inc. VAT
    Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm - 1450 RPM
    [SCY-GT1450]

£11.29 ex. VAT
    £13.27 inc. VAT (6) total {i all ready have 2 of these if curious why 4}
    120mm Standard Fan Guard - Black
    [STDG12BLA]

£1.26 ex. VAT
    £1.48 inc. VAT (8) total
    1/2" ID - 3/4" OD Tygon R3603 Hose 1m
    [59005]

£8.07 ex. VAT
    £9.48 inc. VAT (4) meters
    XSPC Acrylic Tank Reservoir for Laing D5 (MCP655)
    [XSPC-D5TANK]

£29.78 ex. VAT
    £34.99 inc. VAT

£581.70 is my total so far.I still need fittings and all your suggestions and advice.
    Thanks to everyone with there input and suggestions.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2010
  11. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Get compression fittings. Looks good, easy to use, and are pretty secure. Barbs are good too, but require proper hose clamps, which can be quite unsightly.

Bitspower are THE fittings to get, though those are pretty pricey. I've been using Phobya 13/10mm compressions, and imo those are great for the price.

I have it, it's very quiet on low settings as long as it's properly insulated from the case - if gets to make contact the noise can be quite intrusive.

12. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Barbs & jubilee clips should be the more secure option (& cheaper) - but, as has been pointed out, they can look unsightly...

Though, in a non-windowed case, who's going to see them?

13. Big Elf

If you go for 3/8"ID, 1/2"OD compressions then these are the cheapest I've seen http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=WC-012-FO but bear in mind they may supply 2 different types. It's also useful to have some 45º fittings and these are great value http://www.scan.co.uk/products/tfc-...f-45-degree-g1-4-extender-compression-fitting and the chrome finish matches that of the compressions.

I would recommend Primochill LRT tubing and avoid Masterkleer in this size. However the Feser tubing is pretty good value but I've only used the white http://www.scan.co.uk/products/2m-tfc-ft-0074-white-hot-uv-reactive-tube-3-8-id-1-2-od

I'd also think about the acetal version of the gfx waterblock. There's been a big furore at http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263685 due to EK stating that PT Nuke (anti-bacterial additive) damages acrylic and this has led to some people questioning the quality of the acrylic EK use http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=263685 It's possibly more likely user error as I've managed to crack 2 EK res due to overtightening but that was because they leaked from new and I didn't realise that the o rings were faulty.

Last edited: 22 Dec 2010
  14. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

Personally have always seen angled fittings as being a bit of a waste of time - well, if put in the middle of tube lengths as it's just adding extra resistance to the flow vs an extra inch or so of tubing to make a nice curve... (it's not 100% clear that this isn't being suggested)

...&, having progressed from a crappy kit many years ago, have always used the acrylic topped blocks & never had any issues whatsoever - & they have the added advantage of being able to see into them to make sure you've got no air bubbles trapped inside...

15. pizzanbeer

16. pizzanbeer

Will change the water block.

17. pizzanbeer

On the water block.It looks like a push fit fitting.Do i change this fitting?Tygon tubbing never heard anything bad about it adcept the price.What compression fitting will fit this tube?

18. Big Elf

Some grades of Tygon can go cloudy. I can't remember which type I had but it went cloudy within a month. It could have been the anti-algae product I was using at the time or possibly the plasticizer leeching from the tubing. Masterkleer is even worse and goes cloudy within days. That's why I use Primochill LRT clear as, so far after 4 months, it hasn't clouded. Before that I was using the Feser white tubing and although it still looked OK it had some kind of deposit on the inside that was probably the plasticizer. It didn't affect temps or anything else though.

The vast majority of blocks/rads etc. have G1/4 threads so as long as you get fittings at that size they'll screw in whether barbs or compressions. You may need spacers on some GFX card blocks if the fitting threads are too deep although I haven't had that problem yet.

I was recommending the 45º fittings as they can help to give a gentle curve if components are in tight places. I'm pretty sure they'll help with your external rad. You can alsways decide later if you're not happy with the routing.

19. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .