1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics 6870 vs GTX 470

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ravenheart, 21 Dec 2010.

1. Ravenheart

Ravenheart What's a Dremel?

Any advantages in gaming between the 2?

I know NVIDIA cards do all that folding malarky and has CUDA etc but do I even need those when gaming? Wouldn't think so though?

I might be able to get one of these dependant on money in the next hour or so, and to be honest I don't know what I want, I've been an nvidia fan for most of my computing life but I've occasionally used ATI/AMD cards, I just want a card that will be good for gaming (and I know both will be) and right now I'm not bothered which card I get, whichever runs cooler will do me I guess as long as it plays games, max resolution for my monitor is 1680x1050.

Cheers.

2. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

6870 will run a heck of a lot cooler and quieter, and uses a lot less power.

3. philheckler

philheckler Used to be a pc enthusiast

Either card will serve you well tbh ,me i prefer nvidia cards and i've had a 470 since may and i'd say it's been the best card i've owned , in fact i just installed a 2nd 470 last night for sli - now that's beastly... :) don't really care about the power consumption but the 470's do get noisy when the fan spins up over 75%.....

Last edited: 21 Dec 2010
  4. Ravenheart

What are the temps like on the 470 you've got? (before you got your 2nd card) as I'm wondering what the stock cooler would be like on this one Palit NVIDIA GTX 470 Graphics Card
    with it not being a custom cooler, would it be pretty hot?

Just asking because I've lots of reviews where it says stock coolers on most graphics cards mean the temperature gets extremely hot.

5. philheckler

Funnily enough that's the exact card delivered to me from Scan yesterday :rock: , before sli my original gtx470 (its a stock inno3d) ran at around 37c idle , topped out around 79c with around 75% fan speed - my inno 470 oveclocked to 750 on the core without touching the core voltage , haven't run the palit card on its own so can;t tell you how that runs.... - nice little bonus i got a free download of mafia2 with the palit card also....

one thing you might not be aware of is that different fermie cards can come with a different default vcore (hence temps can vary) - my inno3d runs at 950mv vcore , the palit card runs at 985mv....

6. Ravenheart

I rang Scan about that Palit GTX 470 they're selling and because almost every review I've read on it showing it to be a dual fan orange/black colour I asked them if it was a stock cooler or indeed the one shown in all the reviews and they said it is the orange/black coloured dual fan version, is that the one you received from Scan as well?

7. philheckler

no - its the stock cooler with one fan exactly as pictured in your link...

8. Ravenheart

Hmm how bizarre,

I spoke to someone just before 3 o'clock and they said it is the dual fan version! Wonder if that's just sales patter to make me buy it then! Because it is the one with the dual fan I was after, that's why I asked them lol.

Oh well a trip over to the scan forum incoming to triple check :)

9. philheckler

10. Ravenheart

Thanks for that Phil,

Wish I'd have gone for littlepuppi's now, chances are that would almost definitely have been here today.