1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard Drive Problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lazy, 21 Dec 2001.

1. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

I just bought a new harddrive and that works fine but when I deleted the partitions on old my 20 gb Diamond Max maxtor hard drive it says that the hard drive is only about 2gb in size. It is also an NTFS partition. Does anyone know how I can make it give me my other 18 gb. I also have Partition magic and it gives me an error 4 when I try to make any changes ot the drive. If anyone can help or if you need anymore details, just tell me and I will post them up.

2. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Yeah if you have prevoiusly had a NTFS partition on the drive you need to do a bit of fiddling to get it back to FAT32...

1. when you start FDISK, choose small drive support.
    2. remove the non-dos partition.
    3. check in the option 4 to see if the is any information.
    4. restart the PC, then choose large drive support.
    5. FDISK the unit back to its full 20gig FAT table.

i.e I am not being held responsible if your drive decided to forgets its existence in your bios :D

3. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

fdisk would just freeze up when I tried to select my other hard drive, but I have manged to fix the problem.

1st I got a maxtor low level formatting programme and reverted the hard drive to what it was like when it came out of the factory.
    2nd I started fdsik up and it didn't crash so I created a fat32 partition but it wouldn't let me format it.
    and lastly I used Partition Magic to convert the partition to NTFS.

Problem solved.

4. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

I was just about to say low level format it.

I had to do the same when a similar problem cropped up - fdisk, partition magic and everything I had kept recognising the drive as 34.8 Terrabytes or something mad.

I even successfully formatted to that capacity too somehow....it worked to start with anyway
    obviously it wasn't real....shame that

/me was born in Ipswich and lives nearby...hello and welcome :)

5. squishedhog

squishedhog What's a Dremel?

I've had windows 98 cross it's wires before and come back with my old maxtor 4.3gb drive having a capacity of something like 4EB (I have screenshots somewhere!)

Just in case you've never heard of an EB - it's 1024 Terabytes... or 1048576 Gigabytes, or even 1073741824 Megabytes...

And I had four of them... lmao :p Not too bad for a 4 gig drive - having a capacity of about 1,000,000% more!! Shame it wouldn't reformat to that though...

6. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

just think of the pr0n you could fit on that...:D

7. squishedhog

squishedhog What's a Dremel?

rearrange the words:

daddy, pr0n, am, I, the, !!

and you should have a rough idea of how much pr0n you can get on that :p

I think the screenshots are on my mate's computer, so I'll have to go over there to get em. Problem is - I'm not driving till the new year so I'll probably forget... it was rather humourus when we saw this flash up in 'My Computer'

8. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

FDisk and PM go all bizzare when your partition table srews up.